Sumo Wrestlers

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Earthquake actually was a sumo wrestler in Japan.

I think that you're asking why we don't see big fat wrestlers often anymore rather than why those wrestlers died, but correct me if I'm wrong. The expectations of the typical fan today are different than they used to be, particularly when it comes to the pace of a match. Guys like Mabel would never be able to keep up today. It's easy to imagine an athletic guy like Earthquake keeping up, but he'd likely be thinner. By the same token I could see someone like Walter being way fatter if he were wrestling 25+ years ago.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Earthquake actually was a sumo wrestler in Japan.

I think that you're asking why we don't see big fat wrestlers often anymore rather than why those wrestlers died, but correct me if I'm wrong. The expectations of the typical fan today are different than they used to be, particularly when it comes to the pace of a match. Guys like Mabel would never be able to keep up today. It's easy to imagine an athletic guy like Earthquake keeping up, but he'd likely be thinner. By the same token I could see someone like Walter being way fatter if he were wrestling 25+ years ago.

problem too is Vince doesn't book them as legit threats either. In Vince's world if you're fat you're a comedy act jobber.

Really, outside of Yokozuna and Kevin Owens (and maybe Kamala) any fat guy that got over in the WWF/WWE was an accident.

Rikishi - was a comedy throw away with Too Cool (who themselves were meant to be jokes). but they got over huge with the crowd and forced Vince's hand
Dusty - he put him in the polka dots and had a big old black woman manage him (she was awesome btw)
Foley - got over on his own
Bam Bam - never got the push he deserved
Vader - see above
Samoa Joe - see above
Brodus Clay - got the Funkasaurus as a punishment and got it over on his own

If you're a fat guy who got over in a different promotion and come in with an established name, then you're double F'd...those are Vince's 2 biggest strikes

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
problem too is Vince doesn't book them as legit threats either. In Vince's world if you're fat you're a comedy act jobber.

Really, outside of Yokozuna and Kevin Owens (and maybe Kamala) any fat guy that got over in the WWF/WWE was an accident.

Rikishi - was a comedy throw away with Too Cool (who themselves were meant to be jokes). but they got over huge with the crowd and forced Vince's hand
Dusty - he put him in the polka dots and had a big old black woman manage him (she was awesome btw)
Vader - see above
Samoa Joe - see above

If you're a fat guy who got over in a different promotion and come in with an established name, then you're double F'd...those are Vince's 2 biggest strikes
Mabel was definitely pushed and treated as a star. Which is a problem.

It seems like whenever Vince or the company was in trouble in the past, their plan is to push fat guys instead of muscle men to appear in a different, drug free light.
I think Bam Bam mostly got a fair shake. They must have liked him to a degree to pick him as Taylor's WrestleMania main event opponent, as well as Savage's replacement as the Slim Jim mascot.
Umaga was taken fairly seriously and they tried to push Rikishi. They're just inept a lot of the time at presentation and pushing when it's their choice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Vader - see above
Samoa Joe - see above

Can't really disagree in the WWF/E context. It's mind boggling how he blew having Vader in the mid 90s. I think that Vince would rather a fat guy than a scrawny guy, but he has never really wanted either.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Jackslate has a point but sumo never had anything to do with good old show wrestling.

I remember (Hulk and) Andre from my uncle who got cable TV and wondering how he lives and breathes and eats. Silly me back then. Nowadays much more cleverer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00