Summoning Salt's Speedrunning Videos

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So I've been sick this week and laying around a lot. I had someone recommend me the videos made by Summoning Salt. He documents the history of world record speedruns in various games, seeing the timeline of various glitches or optimizations that drove the times lower.

I honestly had no interest in speedrunning and still don't really and am not familiar with most of the games he's documented. But I've still loved them all. He's just so good at making them. The editing, music, direction, just comes together so well. I'd highly recommend checking one out to see if it clicks with you.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Oh "Speed runs"....AKA, exploiting glitches and bugs in a game. Yawn.

I think speed runs are pretty dumb as well but there's something about the way he makes his vids that is fascinating.

I've been a Summoning Salt fan for a long time. It's a shame he really only puts out new vids every few months but I understand how they would take him a ton of time.

I don't remember exactly which vid but on one of them he told the story of how essentially all the top speedrunners joined forces just to try to dethrone one guy who was completely dominating the game. There were like a dozen guys playing the game around the clock and every time one of them would set a new speedrunning record the other dude would just hop on and retake the record lol. I think it was one of the Mario Karts. It sounds so dumb even to me as I'm typing this but he really is an amazing storyteller.

It's also always a fun bit of nostalgia for me watching him talk about the early days of gaming and the internet where your friend from down the block would find a random post on AOL message boards claiming some new secret glitch and he'd run to your house just to test it out.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Oh "Speed runs"....AKA, exploiting glitches and bugs in a game. Yawn.
You ever seen a Pokémon Red/Blue speed run? It's one of the most insane examples of exploiting a game that you can imagine. I can't even conceive how people find these types of bugs/glitches.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So I've been sick this week and laying around a lot. I had someone recommend me the videos made by Summoning Salt. He documents the history of world record speedruns in various games, seeing the timeline of various glitches or optimizations that drove the times lower.

I honestly had no interest in speedrunning and still don't really and am not familiar with most of the games he's documented. But I've still loved them all. He's just so good at making them. The editing, music, direction, just comes together so well. I'd highly recommend checking one out to see if it clicks with you.

I have recently been into following more speed runs, and might start trying to speedrun some games. It's a pretty interesting small niche in the gaming community that showcases the depths that some people go to for competition even in the most unlikely of ways. Whether it's marathon runs of 8+ hours or trying to shave off hundredths of a second, it's just wild to me how the whole thing works.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't watch speed runs or time myself playing games. But it's always fun playing old games (SNES games in particular I find) that you know inside and out, beating them quickly. Super Mario World is a really fun one for that, there's tons of tricks and shortcuts, no glitches needed.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad