Summit Series II???

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Summit Series II

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov has called on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to support the push for a historic nation-versus-nation hockey match-up to mark the 35th anniversary of the historic Summit Series.

Now, there is a movement afoot to hold another tournament to mark the 35th anniversary of the original eight-game event which Canada won.

Harper -- a hockey fan who is writing a book about the history of the sport -- has not yet responded publicly to the challenge, first reported by Russia's hockey authority, Sport Express.

The event would include four games in each country, the newspaper reports.

joe_shannon_1983*

If this is done, then it had better involve the absolute best players. Like Crosby, Thornton, Lecavalier, Heatley, Sakic, etc.

If only second tier players like Shawn Horcoff, Rob Niedermayer, Mike Comrie, etc., are going to be playing, then they should not even bother. It would be a waste of time, and it would not prove anything as it relates to the debate regarding hockey supremancy within Canada vs. Russia.

espo*

Canada has always taken on all comers with the best players available(more then i can say for old Russia back in the day)

Besides,what's to be scared of when you would wipe them anyway?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I would rather watch a Summit Series like this than the World Championships.

International hockey needs more "friendlies" like they have in football. Not second rate tournaments like the World Championships.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
There's no point for a repeat of '72.

The Soviet players have already arrived, and the bitter rivalry at the professional level is dead.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I don't like the idea of holding another "Summit Series", but I would like Canada and Russia to have a fixed tournament every couple years, kind of like 'the Ashes.' Instead of having a big 8 game tournament, keep it at 4 and alternate the host. Anything that can keep a great rivalry alive as well as let us see more international games would be good in my book.

On a similar note, I also think that Canada should try and organize something similar to rugby's Churchill Cup. Canada and some of the other Big 6 could send B Teams to play in tournaments with the second tier countries. Canada and the like get to give an up and coming crop of players international experience while the less skilled countries get to play a higher level of hockey than they otherwise wouldn't get. It would almost be like a mini-World Championships but more focused on promoting the game in less-traditional hockey countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad