WWE: Summer Women's Tournament Announced

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They do have a working relationship though.
Yes, but that relationship doesn't mean anything at all to the booking of PROGRESS shows and titles. WWE have no control outside of the join matches they do (CWC qualifiers, UK title matches) and minor appearances like Bálor or End.

Or are you telling me that WWE has also signed Riddle, Walter and Banks too?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, but that relationship doesn't mean anything at all to the booking of PROGRESS shows and titles. WWE have no control outside of the join matches they do (CWC qualifiers, UK title matches) and minor appearances like Bálor or End.

Or are you telling me that WWE has also signed Riddle, Walter and Banks too?

I didn't mean they were signed, but they are associated together, and thus there is potential that they could work with them. I think Riddle is going to go to New Japan.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What she excels at is holds and move execution and athletic ability. What she needs work on are movement, transition from one move to another on some occasions (way too telegraphed) and selling with the expessions (facial, body). I know she's 36 already but a maybe a year in NXT and she could have a nain roster run as a Brock Lesnar type monster heel run for a couple of years.

I agree often she looks like she is getting in place for a move to happen rather than it being natural. Like on the criss cross spear she was a step slow. Thats something I think she can learn at the PC and with more matches.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I didn't mean they were signed, but they are associated together, and thus there is potential that they could work with them. I think Riddle is going to go to New Japan.
But being on a PROGRESS show means nothing to that effect. Else you have to say that WWE also are associated with Sabre Jr. (signed to NJPW), Riddle (signed to WWN), Walter (signed to WXW), Scurll (signed to RoH). And clearly that isn't the case.

Being in PROGRESS just means that you are in PROGRESS. It doesn't mean anything at all about future WWE work. Same with ICW and OTT too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But being on a PROGRESS show means nothing to that effect. Else you have to say that WWE also are associated with Sabre Jr. (signed to NJPW), Riddle (signed to WWN), Walter (signed to WXW), Scurll (signed to RoH). And clearly that isn't the case.

Being in PROGRESS just means that you are in PROGRESS. It doesn't mean anything at all about future WWE work. Same with ICW and OTT too.

If they all have separate exclusive contracts, then that'll say they can't appear in WWE though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but it shows you that being on a PROGRESS show means nothing toward any WWE connection. If it did, then those guys wouldn't be there.

Well, they are still their own promotion. Otherwise, they would be the actual WWE UK territory.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They'll change it. It was the same theme she was using in Stardom, unless they bought the rights.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wasn't there chatter of Kairi being the one to dethrone Asuka?

I think Kairi needs a bad ass theme tho (I know it goes with her character but still)

I think that was just fans wanting her to be the one.

Hell it could still happen. Who knows how long Asuka's winning streak continues for? They haven't built any of the main roster women to be the kind of star to end a streak like that as of now.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If they're going to tweak it, perhaps add more orchestration, beef it up a bit. A POTC type version of it could work.

I agree. love the theme, but its a bit wishy-washy at the moment. needs more oomph

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, Princesa Sugehit lost in the tournament in the second round, went back to CMLL's Anniversary show, lost her mask. Shows how important this was to some of the participants.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Interesting about Sugeheit. So essentially the MYC matches plus the match she lost were her last 3 televised matches with her mask? That definitely makes it seem like a big deal.

Per Meltzer, the women brought back for the finals are indeed the ones WWE's most interested in trying to sign. So that'd be

• Tessa Blanchard
  • Santana Garrett
  • Candace LeRae
  • Mercedes Martinez
  • Piper Niven
  • Kay Lee Ray
  • Toni Storm

Marti Belle, Jazzy Gabert, and Sarah Logan are already signed, of course.

Reactions: sheriff bart

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting about Sugeheit. So essentially the MYC matches plus the match she lost were her last 3 televised matches with her mask? That definitely makes it seem like a big deal.

Per Meltzer, the women brought back for the finals are indeed the ones WWE's most interested in trying to sign. So that'd be

• Tessa Blanchard
  • Santana Garrett
  • Candace LeRae
  • Mercedes Martinez
  • Piper Niven
  • Kay Lee Ray
  • Toni Storm

ugh, please sign Mia Yim, she was awesome.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Been watching more of the tournament and WWE needs an option to turn off commentators. It's absolutely cringe worthy. Lita is ****ing ********* - so awful. Beth did really good in the Monday Night match.. if they do this again, use Beth and Nigel.

JR hasn't been good for years (even his last few in WWE), but he's even more trash when he doesn't know what he's talking about. He knows nothing about these women (just like when he first tried doing NJPW).

Like it's taking so much away from the match. In the CWC, Daniel Bryan wasn't the best ever but he brought some good knowledge and he's at least somewhat comfortable on the mic. Lita, should be at this point with all her work on PPV pre-shows, but she's just awful. Ugh.

The only woman who I absolutely couldn't stand to watch (in either of her matches) was Marti Belle. Never seen her on the indies, but she was atrocious in both these matches. Talking like... Torrie Wilson level.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

• Tessa Blanchard
  • Santana Garrett
  • Candace LeRae
  • Mercedes Martinez
  • Piper Niven
  • Kay Lee Ray
  • Toni Storm

Seems like a solid list. They should ditch Marti Belle, she's awful. Everyone else on that list is all kinds of awesome.

*Tessa Blanchard may be the smartest worker in the tournament. She's so good and she just gets it.

*Toni Storm clearly LOVES wrestling and it shows. She's one of my favourites.

*Santana Garrett is Naomi, except she can work.

*Candace LeRae is a perfect underdog babyface just like her husband.

*Mercedes Martinez is fantastic and will definitely be a head trainer in NXT at some point.

*Piper Niven is very unique and that makes her stand out. She can work too.

*Sarah Logan is ****ing awesome in every single way.

*Kay Lee Ray looks like absolute trailer trash and I love it. She's great in the ring and also very unique due to her look and her wrestling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->