Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Witsel is a fantastic and much more flexible player. Weigl is a prospect who had one really good season. Weigl better at everything else just says you've not watched the two or followed Witsel's career. Weigl has his strengths but he's far from a multifaceted player.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How many people have actually watched a United game? Because he doesn't look bad at all when playing. He has been played out of position all season. It's him and Lukaku carrying this team. Hopefully they buy someone like Perisic and a CB that can play the ball and then this team looks fantastic if Alexis can turn it around.

Alexis-Lukaku-Perisic/other winger
Pogba-Fred
Matic
Shaw-CB-Bailly-Valencia

Every poster who says Pogba was bad all of last season definitely didn't watch. He was playing very well when the season started (had one of the highest whoscored ratings in the league) until his suspension and injury. That's when his play became very inconsistent.

Reactions: Gecklund

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Every poster who says Pogba was bad all of last season definitely didn't watch. He was playing very well when the season started (had one of the highest whoscored ratings in the league) until his suspension and injury. That's when his play became very inconsistent.

But he didn’t score nearly enough.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In Pogba's first 13 games of the season he had 3 goals and 9 assists and an average whoscored rating of 7.79

But yea he was terrible the whole year.

IIRC, he also lead the league in assists until his suspension/injury. Not sure if I remember correctly but there may have also been another injury/injuries around that time that put United's game off. Perhaps Bailly's first injury?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Pogba is dr.jekyl and mr.hyde some games he is unplayable and a joy to watch other games he looks uninterested and barely run.

He has the potential to be the best midfield in the world but he lacks the mentality to be that. He seems satisfied with his current play. Actually having kante beside him probably enabled him to focus solely on the offensive side of his game which he is excellent at. For Mourinho, Pogba not playing good enough defensively is a major issue.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pogba is dr.jekyl and mr.hyde some games he is unplayable and a joy to watch other games he looks uninterested and barely run.

He has the potential to be the best midfield in the world but he lacks the mentality to be that. He seems satisfied with his current play. Actually having kante beside him probably enabled him to focus solely on the offensive side of his game which he is excellent at. For Mourinho, Pogba not playing good enough defensively is a major issue.
What? Pogba was absolutely fantastic defensively and was focusing mainly on defense with Kante

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
IIRC, he also lead the league in assists until his suspension/injury. Not sure if I remember correctly but there may have also been another injury/injuries around that time that put United's game off. Perhaps Bailly's first injury?

His injury was only 4 games in and he had 2g, 2a in those 4. His red was in his 8th league game of the season. In the 5 after he came back from it he had 4a and solid ratings.

It was really at the end of January/beginning of Feb that his form dipped which was when the league was confirmed well out of reach and the entire team seemed to struggle for form in the league.

I do remember that near the end of January he was either tied or 1 back of the league lead in assists and had played just over half the games of the others at the top.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know Pogba had the best A/PG in the league for basically the entire season. I’m assuming he ended with that title.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know Pogba had the best A/PG in the league for basically the entire season. I’m assuming he ended with that title.

He finished with 10 assists in 27 apps.

Mahrez, Eriksen, Alli and Salah also finished with 10, but had 36, 37, 36, and 36 apps respectively.
Sterling and Sterling had 11 in 33 and 29 apps.
Sane had 15 in 32
de Bruyne had 16 in 37

So he finished 4th in assist per game behind 3 city players. Given he only had 1 assist in his last 14 games and Silva and Sane both finished strong, he likely was just behind de Bruyne for most of the year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Weigl is so much better than Witsel that the earlier post has to be a joke.

Selling the former to replace with the latter just continues Dortmund's descent from the cool prospect developing team into an old fart boring not winning team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yea, ideally I'd like someone younger, but it addresses a position of clear need with a quality player so I can't complain much.
Honestly our team is shaping up. We do need a ball playing CB and a RW (Malcom would have been good). Obviously I would like a new LB but if Mou trusts Young/Shaw going forward then I can live with that and if they aren't good enough we buy one in the winter window.

Sanchez-Lukaku-RW with Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pereira, Chong, Gomes, and Mata to fill in
Pogba-Matic-Fred with Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Herrera, McTominay, Gomes, Felliani to fill in with TFM and Tuanzebe able to fill in for Matic
Shaw-CB-Bailly-Valencia with Young and Borthwick-Jackson for LB, Dalot, Darmian, and TFM for RB, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Tuanzebe, TFM, CBJ, and Lindelof at CB
De Gea with Romero, Pereira, and Grant to fill in

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Selling the former to replace with the latter just continues Dortmund's descent from the cool prospect developing team into an old fart boring not winning team.

Not sure if that is entirely true. They have sold 3 players around 30 this summer and Witsel would be the first they buy (not counting Hitz) in that age bracket.

Don´t think they need Witsel though. Not sure how they will line-up this season, but they do have quite a lot of experience in midfield already.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Honestly our team is shaping up. We do need a ball playing CB and a RW (Malcom would have been good). Obviously I would like a new LB but if Mou trusts Young/Shaw going forward then I can live with that and if they aren't good enough we buy one in the winter window.

Sanchez-Lukaku-RW with Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pereira, Chong, Gomes, and Mata to fill in
Pogba-Matic-Fred with Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Herrera, McTominay, Gomes, Felliani to fill in with TFM and Tuanzebe able to fill in for Matic
Shaw-CB-Bailly-Valencia with Young and Borthwick-Jackson for LB, Dalot, Darmian, and TFM for RB, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Tuanzebe, TFM, CBJ, and Lindelof at CB
De Gea with Romero, Pereira, and Grant to fill in

That was supposed to be Lindelof.

I do tend to agree with you though. One of the reasons why Liverpool are shopping and the others aren´t is because the holes aren´t as obvious elsewhere.

I´m assuming Mourinho is expecting Sanchez to play better (if not Utd will once again struggle to be dangerous enough). Fred to help Pogba "click". Defensively a fit Bailly and possibly someone like Lindelof more used to the PL and you got a very decent team. Not sold on Sanchez and Lindelof, but hardly impossible that they both step up.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Indeed, breath taking performance. Even if Weigl doesn't come back to form, he's still much better than Witsel.
I admit, contrary to the poster you talked about, I haven't watched Witsel in China. He must have found one heck of a toolbox. Because the Witsel from Portugal and Russia wasn't close to Weigl.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Sure. And in what way is Weigl better than Witsel? Having Witsel instead of will improve Dortmund. They still have plenty of prospects and they'll be a better team this year. You can quote me.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I´m guessing there is a picture somewhere of Witsel in a Liverpool-shirt.

Dortmund are not selling Weigl and buying Witsel because they think they get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->