Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also think he takes a lot of work and help to be the player he should be. That’s my concern for what they paid. He needs someone to do a lot of the lifting so he can do a bit of the offensive magic.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Don't say he's overrated after having a great WC.
He was always the third best midfielder at Juve and has not been impressive at all at United. He was good at the WC but was also unimpressive at the euros. With transfer fees skyrocketing it doesn't look like an awful deal now like it did at the time but he wasn't worth anywhere near what United paid for him.

SMS was far more impressive last season than Pogba ever was at Juve. It blows my mind that elite teams aren't paying what Lotito is demanding. If he doesn't become a top 3 midfielder I'd be shocked.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
SMS is being overrated big time as the new favorite hipster player. He was not better than Pogba for his last 3 seasons at Juventus.

I get that Pogba has been less than stellar in England, but he's playing under a dinosaur manager with shit tactics.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
SMS is being overrated big time as the new favorite hipster player. He was not better than Pogba for his last 3 seasons at Juventus.

I get that Pogba has been less than stellar in England, but he's playing under a dinosaur manager with **** tactics.

SMS has been too big to be a hipster attraction pretty much the entire year tbh

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the manager is easy to blame, but he also isn’t completely stupid. Some of the blame for me goes to players around him who aren’t physically capable to do the grunt work he needs to look better. Matic is too slow to do much to make him look better when he is with him.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

I get that Pogba has been less than stellar in England, but he's playing under a dinosaur manager with **** tactics.
I watched every single game Pogba played in a Juve jersey and a good chunk of SMS' last couple seasons with Lazio. SMS has been much better with a far worse team. Scoring 12 goals as a midfielder in the Serie A is ridiculously impressive, especially on a team like Lazio. He's an incredible dribbler for a player of his size and is excellent defensively as well. Him and Skriniar are two young players who had big breakout seasons last year and should be garnering more interest than they have been from big clubs.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think the manager is easy to blame, but he also isn’t completely stupid. Some of the blame for me goes to players around him who aren’t physically capable to do the grunt work he needs to look better. Matic is too slow to do much to make him look better when he is with him.
When Pogba played in Italy there was talk of Conte/Allegri not utilizing him properly as well. Either all these managers are idiots or Pogba isn't as good as people think he is.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How many people have actually watched a United game? Because he doesn't look bad at all when playing. He has been played out of position all season. It's him and Lukaku carrying this team. Hopefully they buy someone like Perisic and a CB that can play the ball and then this team looks fantastic if Alexis can turn it around.

Alexis-Lukaku-Perisic/other winger
Pogba-Fred
Matic
Shaw-CB-Bailly-Valencia

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Pogba doesn’t have the capability to influence the flow of the play like a Modric can. But Pogba can show flashes of brilliance very few other players can.

I can’t say he’s overrated, but I can see why people feel he’s underwhelming in some games. I would welcome him back with Juve any time - but bring me a Vidal clone with him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Pogba was really f***ing good with Juve - too much revisionist history here. He carried them so many times in big matches especially towards the latter part of his tenure.

Yes, early in his career he wasnt as good as Pirlo (top 5 mid of this generation) and Vidal (best b2b besides Henderson) at the time. It's like knocking Busquets for being 3rd best during Pep's Spanish dominance.

Reactions: kyle evs48

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think both Mou and Pogs are to blame for Pogs "struggles". It's clear that Pogba is supposed to do everything in the midfield under Mou and the man needs some help. Now is Pogba inconsistent? Of course. But he isn't being played to his strengths. I think bringing in a player like Fred will help out Pogba as we will have 2 midfielders capable of being on the ball and being somewhat creative with it instead of Pogs being the only remotely creative player in the midfield. There's also this issue that United has also just been incredibly poorly designed. There's been no plan on what kind of team we are, we have no identity as a team. We have a solid core to build around but they half assed building said team with players that don't entirely compliment each other. So while Pogs definitely deserves some of the blame for his bad "form", there's more to it than Pogba sucks.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Pogba was really ****ing good with Juve - too much revisionist history here. He carried them so many times in big matches especially towards the latter part of his tenure.

Yes, early in his career he wasnt as good as Pirlo (top 5 mid of this generation) and Vidal (best b2b besides Henderson) at the time. It's like knocking Busquets for being 3rd best during Pep's Spanish dominance.

!!!!!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Weigl was suffering from a groin injury for two months with little change, and could miss time at the start of this season. Witsel has to be a backup only. Preferably just don't buy him.

How large is his salary? If Weigl's only going to miss some time, we paid a lot for Delaney. This seems more of a permanent deal than a fill-in for a guy whose temporarily injured.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course Witsel will not be bought as a back-up, but he could very well end up becoming one.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No question he was bought for way too much. I said it here at the time. He was bought on potential to be the best player in the world because he has the tools to.
But he shouldn't be judged on those crazy expectations.

Anyway, indeed, PSG has agreed with BVB for a 50M transfer for Weigl. Terms with the players have yet to be agreed. BVB will buy Witsel to replace him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Good business for BvB. Witsel is better than Weigl anyway. Though I guess from an age perspective they'll need to find a replacement again sooner than later.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
How large is his salary? If Weigl's only going to miss some time, we paid a lot for Delaney. This seems more of a permanent deal than a fill-in for a guy whose temporarily injured.

He was on a huge salary in China. It's China after all. His salary there was nearly double the highest paid BVB player.

Good business for BvB. Witsel is better than Weigl anyway. Though I guess from an age perspective they'll need to find a replacement again sooner than later.

No he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->