Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've seen many - and I mean many - rumours about Arsenal going in for Gil during the summer.

That's great right? Another highly covenanted superstar in the making coming to an organisation that wants to cross forty thousands times a game or pass the ball in the net.

E: And I forgot to mention that he looks like a Beatles member, ewwwww

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've seen many - and I mean many - rumours about Arsenal going in for Gil during the summer.

That's great right? Another highly covenanted superstar in the making coming to an organisation that wants to cross forty thousands times a game or pass the ball in the net.

Lemme translate this for everyone. "Bryan Gil looks like the real deal."

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Why would we need Bryan Gil? We already have Saka, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli as far superior young players in the positions Gil can play, without mentioning 25 year old Pepe. The absolute last thing Arsenal need is a winger.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Why would we need Bryan Gil? We already have Saka, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli as far superior young players in the positions Gil can play, without mentioning 25 year old Pepe. The absolute last thing Arsenal need is a winger.

If those 4 were far superior players you would be in a Champions League spot and not deep down in 11th.

I do agree your team has bigger needs than another winger

Reactions: Gecklund

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If those 4 were far superior players you would be in a Champions League spot and not deep down in 11th.

I do agree your team has bigger needs than another winger
Those are 4 superior players to a player who has 3 goals and 2 assists in 17 games at Eibar. That isn't saying much. I don't think there is any argument Gil can be compared to any of those besides maybe Nelson ( but Nelson was much better at the same age, however). We would be in a Champions League spot if Partey was fit to play the whole season and we didn't have to use Ceballos/Elneny for most games in the most important area on the pitch.

We have also lost 9-12 points ( depending on how you look at certain decisions) to absolutely ridiculous, unparalleled levels of insane refereeing without considering dynamic effects like confidence. That sounds like an excuse, but it isn't, it is a totally valid complaint and I can list all of those without you arguing against me. We should be close to UCL with the squad we have and some underperforming teams around us but we have had a laughable amount of strange flukeish circumstances against us. We also have a bad, inexperienced manager that makes players play below their level, but even considering that, we should be top 4/6.

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Those are 4 superior players to a player who has 3 goals and 2 assists in 17 games at Eibar. That isn't saying much. I don't think there is any argument Gil can be compared to any of those besides maybe Nelson ( but Nelson was much better at the same age, however). We would be in a Champions League spot if Partey was fit to play the whole season and we didn't have to use Ceballos/Elneny for most games in the most important area on the pitch.

We have also lost 9-12 points ( depending on how you look at certain decisions) to absolutely ridiculous, unparalleled levels of insane refereeing without considering dynamic effects like confidence. That sounds like an excuse, but it isn't, it is a totally valid complaint and I can list all of those without you arguing against me. We should be close to UCL with the squad we have and some underperforming teams around us but we have had a laughable amount of strange flukeish circumstances against us. We also have a bad, inexperienced manager that makes players play below their level, but even considering that, we should be top 4.

You clearly have not watched him play and that's all right.

I'm not a big fan of whoscored but he has been a top 5 teenager this season according to their rankings, very similar scores actually to those of Saka and far superior to the other 3 Arsenal you mention.

Eibar has scored a whole total of 19 goals this season. He has been involved in 5 out of their 7 goals in 2021 (and one of those other 2 was a penalty that the gk scored).

I can't imagine those far superior arsenal players would be doing much better with the supporting cast that Gil has, look at that Eibar roster man

Reactions: S E P H

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You clearly have not watched him play and that's all right.

I'm not a big fan of whoscored but he has been a top 5 teenager this season according to their rankings, very similar scores actually to those of Saka and far superior to the other 3 Arsenal you mention.

Eibar has scored a whole total of 19 goals this season. He has been involved in 5 out of their 7 goals in 2021 (and one of those other 2 was a penalty that the gk scored).

I can't imagine those far superior arsenal players would be doing much better with the supporting cast that Gil has, look at that Eibar roster man
Yeah, I have not watched Gil, maybe he is good. But his stats are not impressive at first glance. I really don’t think we need him, which is my point. I would rather sign an athletic box to box midfielder with a bit of goal threat, a creative midfielder, a right back, back up left back and even striker before considering wingers.

I do think Nelson, Martinelli and Smith-Rowe ( a number 10 more than a winger) would do better than Gil in that situation but it is hard to say because I have not watched Gil.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah, I have not watched Gil, maybe he is good. But his stats are not impressive at first glance. I really don’t think we need him, which is my point. I would rather sign an athletic box to box midfielder with a bit of goal threat, a creative midfielder, a right back, back up left back and even striker before considering wingers.

We agree on that, Saka is a very good winger already and the team has bigger needs.
Which right back are you looking at?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
We agree on that, Saka is a very good winger already and the team has bigger needs.
Which right back are you looking at?
Ricardo Pereira, if he comes back strong after his recent injury. Bellerin has not been the same since his ACL injury and is inconsistent even though he can be really good. Maybe Emerson from Betis, and I have seen Hakimi links, that would be nice.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
About the discussion around bi nationals it's always nice to remember the Bennacer case.
He's French, born in France, son of an Algerian father and Moroccan mother.
He could have played for all 3 nations.
At age 18 he had played for France in every youth selection "with pride".
He was asked to play by the Algerian and Moroccan federations.
At that point he was 18 with zero pedigree, almost no hope of reaching the French NT. His transfer to Arsenal had backfired. He didn't come through a big French academy either.
Morocco proposed him to join the u21s.
Algeria proposed him an senior selection.

Guess what he chose?
Of course he said it was a choice of heart because that's what they all say.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ricardo Pereira, if he comes back strong after his recent injury. Bellerin has not been the same since his ACL injury and is inconsistent even though he can be really good. Maybe Emerson from Betis, and I have seen Hakimi links, that would be nice.

You mean Emerson from Barça. Great idea. You buy Gil and we send you Emerson back in exchange. You fill a need and we get a player we want. You can have Umtiti too. No need to send flowers.

About the discussion around bi nationals it's always nice to remember the Bennacer case.
He's French, born in France, son of an Algerian father and Moroccan mother.
He could have played for all 3 nations.
At age 18 he had played for France in every youth selection "with pride".
He was asked to play by the Algerian and Moroccan federations.
At that point he was 18 with zero pedigree, almost no hope of reaching the French NT. His transfer to Arsenal had backfired. He didn't come through a big French academy either.
Morocco proposed him to join the u21s.
Algeria proposed him an senior selection.

Guess what he chose?
Of course he said it was a choice of heart because that's what they all say.

Not France?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You mean Emerson from Barça. Great idea. You buy Gil and we send you Emerson back in exchange. You fill a need and we get a player we want. You can have Umtiti too. No need to send flowers.

Not France?
You think Emerson is shit? Only heard great things about him. Probably not better than Bellerin though but with Ainsley wanting to play in midfield Cedric is our only back up.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You think Emerson is shit? Only heard great things about him. Probably not better than Bellerin though but with Ainsley wanting to play in midfield Cedric is our only back up.

No, definitely not. I've only seen so much of him, but he seems to still be doing well for Betis and really hit the ground running when he joined the league. I would much rather leverage him for somebody else though. To get a player of Gil's quality I'd definitely sacrifice an Emerson, but I know it won't be that easy. On a side note, I think he offers a different profile to Bellerin and is probably better than him right now.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
No, definitely not. I've only seen so much of him, but he seems to still be doing well for Betis and really hit the ground running when he joined the league. I would much rather leverage him for somebody else though. To get a player of Gil's quality I'd definitely sacrifice an Emerson, but I know it won't be that easy. On a side note, I think he offers a different profile to Bellerin and is probably better than him right now.

If so, I would absolutely take Emerson at Arsenal and give Gil (who I don't want) to Barcelona. Emerson is better than Dest from what I have seen, though.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Emerson's above average as far as RB in La Liga. It is a position with not much depth though so it's not saying much. Emerson is ok both in offense and defense, I'm not sure how big is his ceiling but I would like to have him here with Dest and develop both. Sergi Roberto can go back to midfield.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Emerson's above average as far as RB in La Liga. It is a position with not much depth though so it's not saying much. Emerson is ok both in offense and defense, I'm not sure how big is his ceiling but I would like to have him here with Dest and develop both. Sergi Roberto can go back to midfield.

For who that's the question certainly not barca. No thanks on Emerson.... I'll keep Dest.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

We have also lost 9-12 points ( depending on how you look at certain decisions) to absolutely ridiculous, unparalleled levels of insane refereeing without considering dynamic effects like confidence. That sounds like an excuse, but it isn't, it is a totally valid complaint and I can list all of those without you arguing against me. We should be close to UCL with the squad we have and some underperforming teams around us but we have had a laughable amount of strange flukeish circumstances against us. We also have a bad, inexperienced manager that makes players play below their level, but even considering that, we should be top 4/6.
My favourite target for the summer is still Carlos Soler. I also think we need a CB - especially if Saliba isn't going to get any time - that can play next to Gabriel and keep Holding as first back up sub. I would also upgrade on Xhaka, but replacing Bellerin is still a very big priority as well.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
My favourite target for the summer is still Carlos Soler. I also think we need a CB - especially if Saliba isn't going to get any time - that can play next to Gabriel and keep Holding as first back up sub. I would also upgrade on Xhaka, but replacing Bellerin is still a very big priority as well.
Carlos Soler is not good enough for Arsenal and would not start over the players we have. Saliba should obviously play every minute, lets hope he does. I do think a top creative midfielder like Grealish should be main priority. Second most important would be a Rice/Soumare or box to box in the Ramsey mould.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Carlos Soler is not good enough for Arsenal and would not start over the players we have. Saliba should obviously play every minute, lets hope he does. I do think a top creative midfielder like Grealish should be main priority. Second most important would be a Rice/Soumare or box to box in the Ramsey mould.
Soler is fantastic and I doubt Arsenal will spend the funds for Grealish IMO. I don't disagree with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->