Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it’s worth, it’s still a big job and they’ll get a lot of interested parties. I wouldn’t want it, but there’s no shortage of men who feel they’re capable of winning anywhere.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I meant about the Rodgers part.

Okay, I guess every 6th place team in England should count on a top manager wanting to go there. Oh look Arsenal is in luck

Haha, you must have a weird definition of luck. Read “Bring the Noise” by Raphael Honigstein , and tell me it was luck.

Every top 6 team does have a top manager. Except yours.

Arsenal is still a very attractive proposition. There’s plenty of options if you guys choose to turn the page and make the right hires/decisions.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Haha, you must have a weird definition of luck. Read “Bring the Noise” by Raphael Honigstein , and tell me it was luck.

Every top 6 team does have a top manager. Except yours.

Arsenal is still a very attractive proposition. There’s plenty of options if you guys choose to turn the page and make the right hires/decisions.
Alright, let me go ahead and read a book just to continue an argument with you. Or you could, you know, explain it.

For what it's worth, I would consider it very lucky if someone like Jardim/Naglesmann/whomever came out and said they only wanted to go to Arsenal.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Alright, let me go ahead and read a book just to continue an argument with you. Or you could, you know, explain it.

For what it's worth, I would consider it very lucky if someone like Jardim/Naglesmann/whomever came out and said they only wanted to go to Arsenal.

Explain what? That your concept of “luck” is way off? It’s just a biography on Klopp. He had Liverpool on his mind for a while , and it was beyond mutual. Klopp didn’t just call them up and say, “hey, can I coach you guys”?

They had to sell each other on the direction they wanted Liverpool to go.

It’s not luck if Arsenal hire a top manager. It’s indicative of your clubs value/status in world football and your ability to convince them to join. Which, believe it or not, isn’t as bad as you think it is.

You guys have to make a series of good decisions that lead you to hiring a top guy, but it can be done.

If it doesn’t, it’s not down to luck, it’s down to poor ownership trickling down the entire organization that results in bad decisions. You guys have everything a top guy would want , plus the opportunity to build something from the ashes.

You think top managers wouldn’t jump all over that? A chance to manage in the Premier League with a big club , and the opportunity to rebuild a disaster in their image?

It’s not like Pep joining Munich after they won the treble and having no where to go but down (trophy wise) , or Moyes having to take the impossible task of taking over a title winning Ferguson side.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If you can turn Arsenal around as a club you will quickly become a legend and if not....hey you cant be as bad as Wenger :p

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why do the non-Gooners think Arsenal will fail when they get a new manager for the first couple of years? Just curious? I mean what manager can honestly do a worst of a job than what Wenger has been doing the past two years (I say longer, but others will potentially disagree with me)? I keep mentioning Jardim, but if Arsenal are able to get him (who was the leading candidate in the latest report) I simply cannot see Arsenal going through a dark period. Maybe half of the season for all the players to get adjusted to his tactics, but not these two years or so of dark ages I keep reading about. Hell, Chelski fired Moaninho, then hired Conte and won the league.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why do the non-Gooners think Arsenal will fail when they get a new manager for the first couple of years? Just curious? I mean what manager can honestly do a worst of a job than what Wenger has been doing the past two years (I say longer, but others will potentially disagree with me)? I keep mentioning Jardim, but if Arsenal are able to get him (who was the leading candidate in the latest report) I simply cannot see Arsenal going through a dark period. Maybe half of the season for all the players to get adjusted to his tactics, but not these two years or so of dark ages I keep reading about. Hell, Chelski fired Moaninho, then hired Conte and won the league.

Wenger runs the club completely, the same way Ferguson did. There will be a void of leadership and there already is to some extent. Moreover the squad as a whole just isn't very good anymore. They have a group of four talented players, some of whom are on the decline, two who really aren't (and they play the same position). The rest of the squad, as I said, isn't very good. My opinion is largely based upon no longer rating Mkh to be a difference maker to the extent a team would need to have a good season in England. He has one good game since he joined and a bunch of brutal ones, the same way he was playing in a better team. Their side as a whole is clearly declining and getting worse. Remember that they started alright and have fallen off a cliff since then. Kolasinac has done absolutely nothing to help their defense either. Realistically they need around five new defenders. A backup RB for sure, another LB because Maitland-Niles isn't very good anyway, and three CB. That's a tough job.

Arsenal not only doesn't have a great first XI but their bench is poor. If anyone besides their attackers gets hurt, they have no quality to step in and do a job. Jardim isn't a complete miracle worker. He had a very good squad full of young talent that was bought for him to work with. Every quality team has everything pulling in the right direction in order for them to get there. Liverpool and Tottenham for example simply rarely make bad signings anymore and are bringing youth players into the first team. Arsenal will need to prove that before I think they'll be fine.

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Wenger runs the club completely, the same way Ferguson did. There will be a void of leadership and there already is to some extent. Moreover the squad as a whole just isn't very good anymore. They have a group of four talented players, some of whom are on the decline, two who really aren't (and they play the same position). The rest of the squad, as I said, isn't very good. My opinion is largely based upon no longer rating Mkh to be a difference maker to the extent a team would need to have a good season in England. He has one good game since he joined and a bunch of brutal ones, the same way he was playing in a better team. Their side as a whole is clearly declining and getting worse. Remember that they started alright and have fallen off a cliff since then. Kolasinac has done absolutely nothing to help their defense either. Realistically they need around five new defenders. A backup RB for sure, another LB because Maitland-Niles isn't very good anyway, and three CB. That's a tough job.

Arsenal not only doesn't have a great first XI but their bench is poor. If anyone besides their attackers gets hurt, they have no quality to step in and do a job. Jardim isn't a complete miracle worker. He had a very good squad full of young talent that was bought for him to work with. Every quality team has everything pulling in the right direction in order for them to get there. Liverpool and Tottenham for example simply rarely make bad signings anymore and are bringing youth players into the first team. Arsenal will need to prove that before I think they'll be fine.

There's already a void of leadership. Bringing a new manager would fill that leadership.

They already have a structure in place post Wenger. Ex Dortmund scout, Ex Barca negotiator and Mertesaker as Head of Academy.

They've also started integrating youth players with Willock, Maitland-Niles, Nelson and Nketiah making first team appearances.

I also won't be surprised if a bunch of players get sold and new and younger ones are brought in. Obviously not all the new signings will be great and they will need time to adjust but I don't think they will do worse than this year.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I don't see Wenger as such a dominant figure as Fergie and I don't see Arsenal being bad for a few years when he finally leaves. They do need a lot of new players, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took them a couple of summers to get them all and work it out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jardim will start to play 11 men behind the ball in the first year. THEN, he'll open up things.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Jardim will start to play 11 men behind the ball in the first year. THEN, he'll open up things.

Well, that’s what he did in Monaco, yeah. Was that for a greater purpose/long term plan, or was he just adjusting to the personnel he had at his disposal / guaranteeing results early in his tenure? Genuine question.

Theoretically, he wouldn’t have near the annual roster upheaval he faces now.

That being said, if he did do that in Arsenal , it would probably be to their benefit. Their defensive fundamentals are atrocious right now.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
City is no doubt having one of the best seasons in PL history, but I think the idea that all other teams might as well just fold the seasons and play for 2nd and cups is crazy.

They've gained something like 10 points on goals after the 85th minute this year, with 6 or so of those coming very late in stoppage time.

All it really would have taken would be a couple injuries, or a spell of bad form, and it could easily be a single digit title lead.

I don't think City are unbeatable. Not at all. Still not convinced they are solid enough when playing the best. Luckily for them the second best teams in the PL are rather poor at the moment. I think Liverpool and Spurs can play some good football in spells and challenge City in individual games, but especially Liverpool also got some big holes - while Spurs don't have enough top end talent to match City (maybe it would have been different if Alli had taken a step forward instead of a step back and Dembele being injury free the whole season - as that didn't happen Spurs are a lot weaker than City).

At the back end of this season though I could see City cruising it just because when teams get that momentum it seems to last. It's a mental grind and it makes a huge difference when the whole squad more of less feels like they are unbeatable. As mentioned before Spurs had that same look at the end of last season - and this City team - even at reduced strength is stronger than that Spurs team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The problem is that the rest of the league is so poor, especially this season. Massively poor. The team outside the top six that made Europe got absolutely plastered. The other top six teams effectively have to go undefeated against the other 14 teams and play the best football against their five top opponents. Anything less and right now anyway a team couldn't possibly beat City.

Liverpool has been in great form since they lost at Wembley to Spurs and they're still three points behind City in that specific time frame. They've only lost one game since then but it doesn't even matter. Even in the best moment a team can be playing almost equal football to City, they can't match them until the other teams further down the table play better football. Granted they could have two more points if Mignolet wasn't a complete idiot. They'd still be behind them in that time frame where they actually beat them.

I agree though, there's no point in folding up and playing for the cups. Because just like I said, it is possible to stay close to them over long time frames.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Is the rest of the league any "poorer" than it has always been?

I'm not sure. Maybe one could argue the "middle section" of the PL has kind of disappeared. Then again the top has changed from 4 to 6.

That said teams from 7th and down really should be stronger. When teams like Stoke etc. spend more money than many of the "old giants" of Europe you really got to wonder how they can still be so average. Credit to teams like Burnley, but it is the likes of Everton, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton etc. that really should have built stronger teams. Leicester made as much money as AM last season! And all of those clubs except Newcastle are richer than AC Milan, Roma etc. Shocking that they can't get more from it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is the rest of the league any "poorer" than it has always been?

I'm not sure. Maybe one could argue the "middle section" of the PL has kind of disappeared. Then again the top has changed from 4 to 6.

That said teams from 7th and down really should be stronger. When teams like Stoke etc. spend more money than many of the "old giants" of Europe you really got to wonder how they can still be so average. Credit to teams like Burnley, but it is the likes of Everton, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton etc. that really should have built stronger teams. Leicester made as much money as AM last season! And all of those clubs except Newcastle are richer than AC Milan, Roma etc. Shocking that they can't get more from it.

Considering that:

City hasn't lost to any team outside the top six.
Liverpool lost to one team outside the top four.
Tottenham lost to one team outside the top five.
United lost to two teams outside the top six.

I have to say yes, it's poor. Don't know about poorer but I think so. Don't have time to look in very much detail, but...first glance is that in 15-16 the fourth place team lost 7 times to teams outside the top four.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Don't disagree on the poor (as you can see from my post), but not sure if it is poorer than usual - or any poorer than what you see from the other big leagues.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don't disagree on the poor (as you can see from my post), but not sure if it is poorer than usual - or any poorer than what you see from the other big leagues.

Well, it's definitely poorer than the other big leagues, I know that without question.

RM has lost to Betis, Girona, Espanyol, and Villarreal this season. Valencia and Sevilla also have their fair share of losses. Barcelona is doing an invincibles thing of their own though.

The gap between the super big and smaller teams is really growing overall, but this shouldn't happen in England where all the teams have so much money.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well, it's definitely poorer than the other big leagues, I know that without question.

RM has lost to Betis, Girona, Espanyol, and Villarreal this season. Valencia and Sevilla also have their fair share of losses. Barcelona is doing an invincibles thing of their own though.

The gap between the super big and smaller teams is really growing overall, but this shouldn't happen in England where all the teams have so much money.

I don't think those RM games prove anything. Sample size is far too small and that RM team is very odd this year.

Not sure about Valencia, but I consider Sevilla a much weaker team than the top sides in the PL this season. They have huge offensive issues which in the league will hurt you. You might be able to battle out results in Europe, but playing week after week with an offensive game that doesn't work you will end up conceding a set-piece goal that you just won't be able to recover from etc.

As for England we are clearly in alignment there.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

One is not like the other. :laugh:

Liverpool have 1 goal in the EPL this season from a player that they themselves have developed. That's right. 1 goal. Tremendous job bringing youth players into the first team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah their starting right back is a youth player who will probably go to the World Cup, he also has more than one goal. Two in the CL as well if you could learn how to count. Woodburn and soon Curtis Jones and Rafa Camacho train with the first team, in addition to Brewster who would have played by now this season if he didn't injure his knee. Tell us more, I appreciate it and it is usually very funny.

The youth team is also in the QF of the UEFA Youth League.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't think it is unfair to say one is not like the other - depending on how you define "bringing your players into the first team".

Spurs have been good at developing youth players, but the biggest strength has probably been buying "youngish" players like Eriksen, Son etc. - for then to develop them. Liverpool have certainly bought more established players - partly because they can afford to of course.

Arsenal being a good example of a team that changed when they had more money to spend (becoming worse in the process).

Personally I don't really care too much how players are developed - with one exception. I like that Spurs try to develop players from the local community, but if they bring in someone like Bentaleb as a 15 year old or a 23 year old doesn't really matter much for me. There is nothing admirable in my eyes to bring in a bunch of players from all over the world to develop them. If they aren't good enough they'll be kicked out so.... it's not like the clubs are giving them extra care for any noble reasons. Spurs are doing it because they can't compete financially buying established players (mainly - I'm sure someone coming through the ranks would be slightly more loyal in general).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool's big focus on youth development is relatively new though, but they've started bringing along good young players out of the academy (whether they've started there or not). The youth generation that they have coming up looks very promising. Jones, Woodburn, TAA, Wilson, Brewster, Adekanye, Tagseth, Longstaff (lul), Williams, Masterson, Ward, Grabara, etc. all look very promising and those are just the ones that have already kind of 'announced' themselves through their youth exploits. There are often players that take that next step a little later in their development and the youth teams have some very promising and talented players. The way that Klopp has been integrating them with the first team (even if they aren't playing) will be a massive help in getting them to the level they need to be to become real professionals.

Obviously with that said any of them could fall off of course, it happens, talent does not always mean success. But right now Liverpool have a really promising crop of youth coming through. It certainly makes the LFC TV subscription worth it; they're very entertaining to watch.

Also if you look at Liverpool's transfers the last 3 years it's pretty incredible how effective they've been:

2017/18: Dominic Solanke, Andrew Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk
2016/17: Joel Matip, Alexander Manninger, Ragnar Klavan, Loris Karius, Georginio Wijnaldum, Sadio Mane
2015/16: James Milner, Joe Gomez, Danny Ings, Nathanael Clyne, Roberto Firmino, Christian Benteke

Have there been a few duds? Sure, though some of them more unlucky than bad (Ings for example) and I didn't include most youth players (Solanke and Gomez are borderline and both have the talent to be very good). Overall that's been some incredibly good business and a much higher hit than miss ratio than most teams over the same period, and for the most part outside of Benteke the 'misses' have been on depth/back-up players anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->