Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
City likely has their pace slowed the last 5 or so games.

They're not chasing an invincibles season anymore, and will want to ensure their key players stay fresh and healthy for a run at the CL.

Maybe they'll push for a bit to pass Chelsea's 30 wins last year for most in a season or Chelsea's 95 points for most in a season. Theoretically they could also push for 100 points, but I can't see Pep pushing his players at the cost of being fresh in the CL.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, while Liverpool haven’t won under Klopp, they’ve gotten to the finals in a few things.

I do agree that City will be the favorite until Pep gets bored, but I at least take some solace in knowing Liverpool will give them a go not capitulate like Chelsea did.
Yeah like the League Cup. Where arsenal got this year.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure. Like Leicester showed sometimes teams just keep on “overperforming” (Vegas in the NHL). Even City’s “reserve team” could very well just keep on winning.

And like Leicester I would expect some regression to the mean next season (could still mean they win again of course).

As for Pep changing things - too early to tell in my opinion.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
City is no doubt having one of the best seasons in PL history, but I think the idea that all other teams might as well just fold the seasons and play for 2nd and cups is crazy.

They've gained something like 10 points on goals after the 85th minute this year, with 6 or so of those coming very late in stoppage time.

All it really would have taken would be a couple injuries, or a spell of bad form, and it could easily be a single digit title lead.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Well, as a Roma supporter , there’s really only one transfer rumour I care about.

But, Balotelli’s name has been thrown around (free transfer) , and it makes me want to puke.

So there’s that.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Also , calling Liverpool lucky for signing Klopp is pretty funny.

Maybe they should have stuck with Brendan for 18 more years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
City is no doubt having one of the best seasons in PL history, but I think the idea that all other teams might as well just fold the seasons and play for 2nd and cups is crazy.

They've gained something like 10 points on goals after the 85th minute this year, with 6 or so of those coming very late in stoppage time.

All it really would have taken would be a couple injuries, or a spell of bad form, and it could easily be a single digit title lead.
They already had long term injuries for Stones, Mendy, Gundogan, Sterling, Sane and Jesus. TBH no team has been hit harder with injuries than them.

Yet they're still 18 points on top with over 20% of the season remaining.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
They already had long term injuries for Stones, Mendy, Gundogan, Sterling, Sane and Jesus. TBH no team has been hit harder with injuries than them.

Not in the top six at least. Watford & Palace have basically had their entire starting XI injured all at once.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Also , calling Liverpool lucky for signing Klopp is pretty funny.

Maybe they should have stuck with Brendan for 18 more years.
That's not at all what I mean or said.

If you don't think it's a bit lucky that a top manager decided he only wanted to manage a team that had just finished sixth in England, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's just funny seeing Liverpool fans saying Arsenal won't be able to sign a top manager or top players because of where they are in the table while conveniently forgetting that they did that a couple years ago. Or saying that Liverpool is going to get all their targets from now on when a couple years ago they didn't get any of their targets and signed Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli. Or saying that Arsenal has never won their group stage in the CL when Arsenal did it last year with a much harder team in their group. Or saying that even though Klopp hasn't won anything, he has gotten to a couple finals (League Cup and EL) when Arsenal could still do that this year (probably won't, but still possible!).

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I mean, while Liverpool haven’t won under Klopp, they’ve gotten to the finals in a few things.

I do agree that City will be the favorite until Pep gets bored, but I at least take some solace in knowing Liverpool will give them a go not capitulate like Chelsea did.

There's a word for what Liverpool fans are. Trashing Wenger and Arsenal for not winning, despite having FA cup wins, and yet pimping the hell out of their team this year despite zero trophies. I've always thought you can have a successful season without winning a title. But you guys clearly disagree with your assessment of Wenger and Arsenal.

So no matter what Liverpool do then, this season is a failure.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I was mainly referring to injuries to Aguero or de Bruyne. Hell or Ederson given what a tire fire keeping was last year.

And I’d hardly consider Sterling or Sane long term injuries. They’ve only missed a few games each.

My point wasn’t that they haven’t had injuries, it’s just that a couple key injuries or a bad run of form could easily bring the title back in reach. And expecting them to keep the same form year after year is crazy.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
That's not at all what I mean or said.

If you don't think it's a bit lucky that a top manager decided he only wanted to manage a team that had just finished sixth in England, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's just funny seeing Liverpool fans saying Arsenal won't be able to sign a top manager or top players because of where they are in the table while conveniently forgetting that they did that a couple years ago. Or saying that Liverpool is going to get all their targets from now on when a couple years ago they didn't get any of their targets and signed Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli. Or saying that Arsenal has never won their group stage in the CL when Arsenal did it last year with a much harder team in their group. Or saying that even though Klopp hasn't won anything, he has gotten to a couple finals (League Cup and EL) when Arsenal could still do that this year (probably won't, but still possible!).

I said calling Liverpool lucky is funny. Which you then refuted saying/inferring.

Then , in the very next paragraph you start by saying “if you don’t think it’s a bit lucky”.... I mean, I don’t know what to tell you.

The reality is Klopp wanted Liverpool, just as much as they wanted him.

I don’t see how luck factors into it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
City likely has their pace slowed the last 5 or so games.

They're not chasing an invincibles season anymore, and will want to ensure their key players stay fresh and healthy for a run at the CL.

Maybe they'll push for a bit to pass Chelsea's 30 wins last year for most in a season or Chelsea's 95 points for most in a season. Theoretically they could also push for 100 points, but I can't see Pep pushing his players at the cost of being fresh in the CL.

Yep. This is 100% what's going to happen.

There's a word for what Liverpool fans are. Trashing Wenger and Arsenal for not winning, despite having FA cup wins, and yet pimping the hell out of their team this year despite zero trophies. I've always thought you can have a successful season without winning a title. But you guys clearly disagree with your assessment of Wenger and Arsenal.

People only started doing that when it was clear they were clinging onto 4th place and Wenger was using that as an excuse to not buy players, or the Arsenal board to not get rid of him. Everyone in the world knew what was going to happen. Then when no longer being 4th place every year happens, I don't know what you expect from people in that event. The season that Liverpool finished 8th place they were closer to 4th than Arsenal are now. That's why people are laughing so hard but for some reason people haven't grasped that nuance yet. Liverpool were just 6 points off 4th that year. The last time they were that far off top four was Dalglish's full season when they actually won something, go figure how that works. That year Liverpool had Balotelli and Rickie Lambert they were still 8 points off CL football. That's how they got Klopp. They weren't 15 points away from CL football and drowning.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

Haha I don’t support a specific Prem team (Spurs if I had to choose, I guess) , but I don’t think any Arsenal fan should be painting any other team’s supporters with a single brush.

5 minutes on YouTube could paint an interesting picture of Arsenal supporters, if you allowed it to.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And Arsenal usually met tough opponents in the KO stage to be fair.
That's because Arsenal kept finishing 2nd in group stages they should have won at least half of. No excuse for Wenger there, as I mentioned in the past, there was always one CL group game where Arsenal did not show up at all and lose or draw against a weaker opponent. They sort of reap what they sow. Now with that said, if Arsenal were given the same path as Liverpool were given this year, Arsenal would absolutely be in the exact spot.

Additionally, Arsenal have the funds to hire another great manager, so I don't get what Red fans jokes thinking we're going to get Roberto Martinez or something like that. I mean it won't surprise me in the fullest if Arsenal just promotes Steve Bould - that would be the most Arsenalian thing to happen. But they will have the funds and aura to get a top flight manager once Wenger is gone. Someone like Jardim if he wants to leave is absolutely possible and probable.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's because Arsenal kept finishing 2nd in group stages they should have won at least half of. No excuse for Wenger there, as I mentioned in the past, there was always one CL group game where Arsenal did not show up at all and lose or draw against a weaker opponent. They sort of reap what they sow. Now with that said, if Arsenal were given the same path as Liverpool were given this year, Arsenal would absolutely be in the exact spot.

Additionally, Arsenal have the funds to hire another great manager, so I don't get what Red fans jokes thinking we're going to get Roberto Martinez or something like that. I mean it won't surprise me in the fullest if Arsenal just promotes Steve Bould - that would be the most Arsenalian thing to happen. But they will have the funds and aura to get a top flight manager once Wenger is gone. Someone like Jardim if he wants to leave is absolutely possible and probable.

I think we'll know what Arsenal is doing the moment they exit the Europa League. Wenger should be sacked on the spot and if he isn't, all bets are off.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think we'll know what Arsenal is doing the moment they exit the Europa League. Wenger should be sacked on the spot and if he isn't, all bets are off.
Ohhhhh, I am still expecting him to stay as long as he has a contract, as I said two days ago that I will believe it when I see it when it comes to Wenger getting sacked. Now, him getting re-signed is a completely different story for me, no way in hell Arsenal board gives him an extension if he finished 6th/7th this year and 6th next year.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Jardim is a good shout. He’s a builder , and great at implementing/developing youth. Really rate Jardim.

I think Eddie Howe might be a good option as well , as long as the supporters are patient and realize a quick fix is impossible.

Going for someone like Ancelotti would be a mistake. It would be more of the same , and whilst you may be able to challenge top 4 immediately under him , you’ll never be able to build the ground work necessary to actually challenge for titles (if that’s the goal). Ancelotti doesn’t build programs nor does he get teams to punch above their weight.

Whoever you bring in should be there for the long haul , because in order to truly compete , a lot of work needs to be done. And it can’t just be solved in the transfer market.

Don’t make the same mistakes United did post Ferguson.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Not really comparable but United lost Pogba, Lukaku, and Bailly arguably their three most important players to injuries at once. Also lost Fellaini and Rojo at the same time.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I was mainly referring to injuries to Aguero or de Bruyne. Hell or Ederson given what a tire fire keeping was last year.

And I’d hardly consider Sterling or Sane long term injuries. They’ve only missed a few games each.

My point wasn’t that they haven’t had injuries, it’s just that a couple key injuries or a bad run of form could easily bring the title back in reach. And expecting them to keep the same form year after year is crazy.
I think you're underestimating a well-managed Guardiola team. They don't have bad-runs. Ever. First year at City it's more due to the lack of squad depth that they had.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think you're underestimating a well-managed Guardiola team. They don't have bad-runs. Ever. First year at City it's more due to the lack of squad depth that they had.

Frankly I’d say the bigger issue last year was goalkeeping. If they had ederson last year they easily finish 10 points higher.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I said calling Liverpool lucky is funny. Which you then refuted saying/inferring.

Then , in the very next paragraph you start by saying “if you don’t think it’s a bit lucky”.... I mean, I don’t know what to tell you.

The reality is Klopp wanted Liverpool, just as much as they wanted him.

I don’t see how luck factors into it.
I meant about the Rodgers part.

Okay, I guess every 6th place team in England should count on a top manager wanting to go there. Oh look Arsenal is in luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad