Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Quite baffling when you consider that their rivals are investing significantly
Yes and no. They don't need a lot and their first XI would be very difficult to improve. Their goalkeeping and defense is set. Midfield is set, especially with a full season of Chamberlain. Forwards we have known they are very high on Brewster and want to give him a chance (rightfully or wrongfully). I think there is a hole for Mane cover (left sided forward) but it honestly it may be easier said than done to bring in a player who knows that there aren't a ton of minutes to be had necessarily. That (and backup left back, which has the same issue) are the areas that are missing.

While it's nice Liverpool don't want to block their young players, there are a lot more games on the calendar this season following a summer on Copa America and AFCON. Also, Liverpool isn't trying to get 4th in the league anymore. They are trying to get 1st, and have to defend the Champions League. They have proven me wrong before but their depth could be an issue. I think a guy like Lozano to cover Mane would make a ton of sense, and he wouldn't cost the moon, especially in this market, if you could get him for around 30m.

I mean Tottenham just signed Jack Clarke for cover - could Liverpool look for a similar profile there? Liverpool wanted Lloyd Kelly as backup LB, but Kelly chose more minutes at Bournemouth, which you can't really fault him for. Those caliber players is probably where Liverpool will be shopping in. Young, projectable, possibly homegrown cover. That being said, Liverpool are two deep in every position, but you'd wish there was a little more quality up front. I think they may give Brewster a chance to handle it in 2019, and could look to make a forward purchase in January if it hasn't worked out; but they clearly want to give Brewster a shot. Problem is league could be gone by then.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Technically they've signed Zack Steffen...but yea nothing of meaning has been official.

Although the idea that City *wouldn't* spend big seems crazy.
Also Liverpool are one injury away from their top 3 forwards and it could get ugly real fast. The complacent of our recruiting team has me worried. I mean Lallana has failed every single time when they gave him a chance. OX is obviously a huge plus but he is lacking much game fitness. We are not even yet in July but if Liverpool goes with the mentality that everything is good they might probably regret it comes next january.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes and no. They don't need a lot and their first XI would be very difficult to improve. Their goalkeeping and defense is set. Midfield is set, especially with a full season of Chamberlain. Forwards we have known they are very high on Brewster and want to give him a chance (rightfully or wrongfully). I think there is a hole for Mane cover (left sided forward) but it honestly it may be easier said than done to bring in a player who knows that there aren't a ton of minutes to be had necessarily. That (and backup left back, which has the same issue) are the areas that are missing.

While it's nice Liverpool don't want to block their young players, there are a lot more games on the calendar this season following a summer on Copa America and AFCON. Also, Liverpool isn't trying to get 4th in the league anymore. They are trying to get 1st, and have to defend the Champions League. They have proven me wrong before but their depth could be an issue. I think a guy like Lozano to cover Mane would make a ton of sense, and he wouldn't cost the moon, especially in this market, if you could get him for around 30m.

I mean Tottenham just signed Jack Clarke for cover - could Liverpool look for a similar profile there? Liverpool wanted Lloyd Kelly as backup LB, but Kelly chose more minutes at Bournemouth, which you can't really fault him for. Those caliber players is probably where Liverpool will be shopping in. Young, projectable, possibly homegrown cover. That being said, Liverpool are two deep in every position, but you'd wish there was a little more quality up front. I think they may give Brewster a chance to handle it in 2019, and could look to make a forward purchase in January if it hasn't worked out; but they clearly want to give Brewster a shot. Problem is league could be gone by then.
I believe in Klopp but we rely way way way too much on the same starting eleven. Everytime they play the bench they fail miserably. They obviously lack depth and yes playing time could be an issue but for some reason it does not seem like an issue for PSG, Man City and Real Madrid. They can rotate their team quite effectively and give some good quality minutes to their backup.
Let's get real... you need a goal... City has Mahrez, Sane and Jesus on their bench and we have Origi, Lallana and Brewster. It's not even comparable.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Kieran Tierneys brother has apparently said that Tierney is heading out to London for an Arsenal medical on Monday. Great news, he has a lot of potential and plays with extreme intensity, something that we need. I would happily sell Kolasinac if we get him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also Liverpool are one injury away from their top 3 forwards and it could get ugly real fast. The complacent of our recruiting team has me worried. I mean Lallana has failed every single time when they gave him a chance. OX is obviously a huge plus but he is lacking much game fitness. We are not even yet in July but if Liverpool goes with the mentality that everything is good they might probably regret it comes next january.
I don't think complacent is the right word here. What teams have a better 7th choice midfielder than Lallana? This will be Chamberlain's first preseason with Klopp. That might be a big help to his fitness. Yes another forward would help, but they are looking for the right player there.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s still a long summer. I think Liverpool are playing it close to the vest knowing there are four or five big clubs waiting to see who they target and probably trying to take them. Look at Bayern trying to steal that kid last second.

They know Edwards is the goods and they’re going to try and hijack any move. Other agents are going to use Liverpool to push prices up as well.

I don’t expect a ton of transfers, but I expect they leave whatever they do till close to the end if it comes. It’s a gamble, but I also think Klopp feels he can get something out of Lallana, along with a full season of Ox and Keita. Up front, I think they should buy, but who? I think stupid money for Pepe is not smart. Not to mention, I think two or three other clubs would drive that market way above what they want to pay according to their metrics. This club rather do without than overspend or take a second or third option. It is frustrating, but they’ve earned some slack

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I believe in Klopp but we rely way way way too much on the same starting eleven. Everytime they play the bench they fail miserably. They obviously lack depth and yes playing time could be an issue but for some reason it does not seem like an issue for PSG, Man City and Real Madrid. They can rotate their team quite effectively and give some good quality minutes to their backup.
Let's get real... you need a goal... City has Mahrez, Sane and Jesus on their bench and we have Origi, Lallana and Brewster. It's not even comparable.
Worked out pretty well vs. Barcelona and in the final.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think complacent is the right word here. What teams have a better 7th choice midfielder than Lallana? This will be Chamberlain's first preseason with Klopp. That might be a big help to his fitness. Yes another forward would help, but they are looking for the right player there.
Well the teams that finished higher than Liverpool does have a better 7th option. You are not competiting with Brighton or Southampton but with Tottenham, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
City is the only team whose depth is significantly better than Liverpool's.

Teams like United, Chelsea, and Arsenal have less of a dropoff from their ideal starting XI to backup lineups, but that's because their starting lineup is poor, not because their depth is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well the teams that finished higher than Liverpool does have a better 7th option. You are not competiting with Brighton or Southampton but with Tottenham, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal.
Please name better 7th choice midfielders than Adam Lallana on said teams. Also Lallana won't complain about his minutes. Would rather have him than anyone of those teams.

Liverpool have depth everywhere except forward (left sided) and left back, but they are working on it. If Brewster has a similar impact that Rashford (yes a lazy comparison, I know) had when he broke in, no one will be complaining about Liverpool not having a forward off the bench. But yes it is risky. I would get worried if it's only Origi and Brewster back there and Origi is getting the bulk of the minutes.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Oh yea, he's a good keeper and would be a solid signing for a lower table team. He's just gonna end up chilling on the bench at City for a few years.
I read he was going to Germany. I think it was Düsseldorf but I could be entirely wrong there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
City is the only team whose depth is significantly better than Liverpool's.

Teams like United, Chelsea, and Arsenal have less of a dropoff from their ideal starting XI to backup lineups, but that's because their starting lineup is poor, not because their depth is great.
With that said if Liverpool are serious about trying to end their title draught the issue is what was mentioned above. They're competing with City and they need to be proactive, not reactive. If you have a window of elite players in their primes after already having not won the title once you need to address that right away, and not give them an opportunity to fail again first (as harsh as 'fail' sounds in the context of 97 points of course). A lot of things are not likely to be repeated about that season without some investment. They'll be a threat either way, but being proactive about this situation (adding one or two elite players that fit the team with money they clearly have) is the best way to go about it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
With that said if Liverpool are serious about trying to end their title draught the issue is what was mentioned above. They're competing with City and they need to be proactive, not reactive. If you have a window of elite players in their primes after already having not won the title once you need to address that right away, and not give them an opportunity to fail again first (as harsh as 'fail' sounds in the context of 97 points of course). A lot of things are not likely to be repeated about that season without some investment. They'll be a threat either way, but being proactive about this situation (adding one or two elite players that fit the team with money they clearly have) is the best way to go about it.

08/09 - finished 2nd. That summer they sold Xabi Alonso and signed Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson. They finished 7t .

13/14 - finished 2nd. That summer they sold Suarez and added three players from Southampton, Alberto Moreno, Lazar Markovic and Mario Balotelli.

This is more of the same. They never hit the gas after finishing 2nd, but at least we arent losing anyone major this time aroun . Maybe that is part of their calculus

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

What could he potentially cost? What's the scouting report? I may have watched one or two Lecister City games last season.

If you guys are moving on from Cancelo, Ricardo Pereira is a fantastic replacement. Fast, great with the ball, responsible defensively and tactically adaptable. He was Leicester's PotY and probably the 2nd best rightback in the PL last season. He would be a great buy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Valentin Rosier from Dijon to Sporting. Smart purchase.

PSG has rejected two clauses in De Ligt's contract demands :
- a release clause (against french law)
- a clause that he could leave if he didn't like the club/league/weather/hookers/whateverhefeltlike

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
If you guys are moving on from Cancelo, Ricardo Pereira is a fantastic replacement. Fast, great with the ball, responsible defensively and tactically adaptable. He was Leicester's PotY and probably the 2nd best rightback in the PL last season. He would be a great buy.

Thanks.
That sounds a lot better than going after Trippier.

I did read one of the reasons Juve wants to sell Cancelo is due to attitude issues.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks.
That sounds a lot better than going after Trippier.

I did read one of the reasons Juve wants to sell Cancelo is due to attitude issues.
Pereira is 10x the player Trippier is...I didn't realize that Juventus was linked with Trippier at all.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Pereira is 10x the player Trippier is...I didn't realize that Juventus was linked with Trippier at all.

A few reports came out a week ago. Some Juve fans are okay with getting rid of Cancelo due to defensive liabilities and brining Trippier to replace him. I am thinking to myself, "right" in a Dr.Evil voice because I watched quite a lot of Tottenham games last season including all of CL games barring a couple in the group stage.

Juventus and Napoli are reportedly in a €28m tug-of-war for Tottenham Hotspur right-back Kieran Trippier.
According to The Mirror, new Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri wants Tripper to replace Joao Cancelo, who is on his way to Manchester City.
However, the newspaper suggests Napoli are closer to an agreement, explaining Coach Carlo Ancelotti has already opened talks with Tottenham.
Spurs, meanwhile, would be ready to sell the Englishman for the right price, having paid just €4m to sign him from Burnley in 2015.
As for Cancelo, Gazzetta dello Sport claims Bianconeri sporting director Fabio Paratici is in London to close a deal with City, which could rise to €60m with bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->