Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'll go against grain and say that I would consider taking Coutinho back. I think he's being severely underrated, and if not for how he left, taking him for pennies on the dollar would be a good move for any big club.

He might not completely fit what Liverpool want to do, but he's a gifted footballer who Klopp knows how to get something out of (even when he didn't want to be here). He offers more than any other player they have from the midfield offensively at this stage, and until Keita develops more, he would continue to offer outside shots that they don't have. Some of that might be predicated on how hard he works, but I think if his beloved club jettison him for cheap, he's going to be a prideful player bound to show he cares. His addition would give them another weapon at their disposal and a way to breakdown some clubs. Some of it would depend on cost for me, but 65-70? Eh, I could be talked into it. He's only going to be 27 shortly. He does a lot of what Fekir would have done, but with that knee thing or the busted transfer, that ship has fully sailed.

Now, I think the ship has sailed for the club and the manager on Coutinho, and I don't think either of them want him back, but if I'm Coutinho's people, and I knew I had to go, you never know, Klopp is sometimes about forgiveness and the reclamation project. If I'm Coutinho, you maybe happen to visit Bobby Firmino at Melwood and drop by the bosses office. Maybe you run into him in Madrid after the CL. Maybe when he's smoking on a beach in Ibiza, you just happen to be in the cabana next to it. Maybe you call him and say, hey, congrats on the season. See where it goes. Liverpool is where he would be most successful, unless City want him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool is not in on De Ligt. Looking for a backup LB to replace Alberto Moreno and a "versatile attacker" to replace Daniel Sturridge. But nothing else reported at this moment.

Liverpool's stance on Matthijs de Ligt transfer

Those are the priorities, but we'll see what happens. The clear needs are fullback cover and attacking option.

I think if de Ligt's people came to Liverpool and said, we want to play at Anfield, they'll be happy to have him, but they're not doing a bidding war.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Those are the priorities, but we'll see what happens. The clear needs are fullback cover and attacking option.

I think if de Ligt's people came to Liverpool and said, we want to play at Anfield, they'll be happy to have him, but they're not doing a bidding war.
Sure, but at this stage, if Pearce is reporting it, then it is true.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Sure, but at this stage, if Pearce is reporting it, then it is true.
Fabinho came out of left field. Heck, a lot of their business has. Pearce or no.

Their transfer group is much better at hiding what they're doing until the business gets done. This group isn't the old days of tooling around Europe and hoping Gerrard could cold call Kroos into joining.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I still think de Ligt is the kind of player you secure and go from there. The kind of player you change your plans for.

Liverpool's CB quartet has some quality but Gomez is injury prone, and Lovren gets a lot of tummy aches or whatever. We saw the consequences of Klopp misjudging the RB position this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Anyone who can afford De Ligt and secure his signature should be trying to do so. Tremendous player already at 19.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I just don't think they feel it's a good expenditure of resources.

At that point, for a club who isn't oil rich, would have logically sunk 140 million plus in central defender. That's not even considering what they might waste in central defender to get him. You're basically relegating Joe Gomez to the bench (or selling him well below his worth), or saying to Matip (who has been immense), down a peg you go. That's also selling Lovren at a hefty loss. So you could probably be looking at 200+ when you factor in jettisoning players.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably think pretty hard about doing it. But they're not that rich to where they can afford it just because.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Actually, no. They did not appeal the ban yet and may just let it be.
They are appealing the ban, but are thinking about not asking for a window delay. They are going to try and get the ban reduced to just 1 window instead of 2, but with youth coming in, a couple loanees returning, and not a fully developed plan for targets, they are thinking it might be best just to start serving the ban now. If the ban gets reduced by a window on appeal, then great, but since we are going to have to serve at least 1 window, might as well get it over with.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They are appealing the ban, but are thinking about not asking for a window delay. They are going to try and get the ban reduced to just 1 window instead of 2, but with youth coming in, a couple loanees returning, and not a fully developed plan for targets, they are thinking it might be best just to start serving the ban now. If the ban gets reduced by a window on appeal, then great, but since we are going to have to serve at least 1 window, might as well get it over with.

I'd imagine Sarri's future also plays into that thinking too. If you're on the edge about keeping Sarri long term it doesn't make a lot of sense to give him an open window now to bring in "his" players just to have him leave and then hamstring the new guy without the chance to buy players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd imagine Sarri's future also plays into that thinking too. If you're on the edge about keeping Sarri long term it doesn't make a lot of sense to give him an open window now to bring in "his" players just to have him leave and then hamstring the new guy without the chance to buy players.
Right, unless we feel confident about bringing in a striker that can fit any system, then this window isn't worth staying in. With Jovic signed, not sure it is worth it. Mount has the chance to join the midfield. Pulisic is already joining Hudson-Odoi, Pedro, and Willian. Defense will pick up Zouma, Reece James, and possibly Ola Aina and Tomari. Might be worth seeing if Tammy Abraham can be as good as the striking options that we've spent big money on.

Either Sarri or Lampard will be manager IMO. Sarri will probably be best with more time with the current squad. Lampard will probably be given the slack to build a team given his Legend status.

Jul 7, 2009
James Pearce said Liverpool is not trying to sign Di Ligt because Klopp is happy with the current depth of the backline. He said they are looking for full back covers and a versatile attacker.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lots of comments about Mbappe's words today, but the explanation could be very simple : he's negociating a new contract.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
United prepared to activate Thomas Partey’s release clause according to Ghana sources.
Atleti are about to have Simeone lace up at this point. I’m not really sure if they’re cash strapped that bad(I know to an extent they are) but I didn’t envision them getting raided like that.

If they have money to spend then Felix/Lo celso/ Ruiz/ Ascacibar and sarabia are just a few of the names I’d look at

Reactions: Gecklund

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Atleti are about to have Simeone lace up at this point. I’m not really sure if they’re cash strapped that bad(I know to an extent they are) but I didn’t envision them getting raided like that.

If they have money to spend then Felix/Lo celso/ Ruiz/ Ascacibar and sarabia are just a few of the names I’d look at

Thoughts on Partey?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Solid player. Can play DM/CM is good at passing. Positionally sound. No real holes in his game. You can see him as a Herrera replacement. Having said that don’t expect a world class player, he’s good just not great. If Manu comes with 70+ Atleti should take it and run.
His release clause is around 45M

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With Potter officially at Brighton my guess is the James and McBurnie are now going to come South and join him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad