Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 7: What a Messi in Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Didn’t Upamecano just sign an extension recently?

I read that the deal he recently signed had a really low release clause that would kick in next summer (something like 30m) and United were poking around to see if a transfer was possible.

This contract probably doesn’t extend his term, but instead raises his wages in exchange for raising the release clause so they can get more value if he transfers.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I doubt that frankly.
When you come from Barcelona, Stuttgart is a shithole.
Mind you Manchester is even worse.
Poor Antonella.

I don’t agree, but we’ll have to disagree. It’s not Barcelona, but it has more charm than some other places.

I meant more how they’d treat him, though, I guess if we are honest, Barcelona treats him probably like a king as well. And leave him alone when he didn’t want it. He could walk around without being mobbed.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Rationally, yeah, Liverpool could afford to let Gini walk, but I say not completely. He’s a key part of the midfield, and getting nothing brings a lot of pressure on other parts and in getting a replacement. If you can get Thiago in, that’s at least a potential part that can do a high level job, and you’re not left without an option. But they aren’t rich enough or strong enough to just let assets go. Their staying at the top is still predicated on being better in the transfer market and getting fractional advantages and improvement out of players by good management and system. That starts to fall apart if you let some of the talent you do acquire move on without a return.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rationally, yeah, Liverpool could afford to let Gini walk, but I say not completely. He’s a key part of the midfield, and getting nothing brings a lot of pressure on other parts and in getting a replacement. If you can get Thiago in, that’s at least a potential part that can do a high level job, and you’re not left without an option. But they aren’t rich enough or strong enough to just let assets go. Their staying at the top is still predicated on being better in the transfer market and getting fractional advantages and improvement out of players by good management and system. That starts to fall apart if you let some of the talent you do acquire move on without a return.
I dont agree. Another season Wijnaldum is more valuable than what they would get in the transfer market for him. Period. He isn’t going to generate enough of a transfer fee to make it worth selling him, compared to playing him. Liverpool can afford to let him walk, and they have let this happen with players like Emre Can recently. They just let Lallana go on a free transfer with a year left on his deal. The right move is to not extend him, but he can still be a contributor.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think they can do that consistently, without having replacements lined up or brought in. That's more my argument. It's one thing to let Can walk when they had four or five other players, and money to spend. But right now? With the club claiming poor (and by all counts being relatively poor from Covid) and already having some legitimate depth and injury concerns? That's my point.

Sure, Curtis Jones coming in and being boss will solve a lot of ills, and I think he's going to be a good one, but you're looking at a broken down Henderson, Keita who can't stay fit, and Fabinho (who has had some injury issues recently as well), and all of a sudden depth is a massive issue. Maybe they can fix that next summer when Gini actually walks, but I rather have a player in and integrated now, then letting it get to that point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
not to mention, Thiago is a world class player. I would happily take him any day of the week. Sure, Wijnaldum is a very good player, and probably underrated by many, but if he doesn't want to stay, he doesn't want to stay.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think the deal he was previously on was the one with the Clause. I could be wrong though. Don’t see a lot of same summer extensions that make it easier for the player to leave in the same window. DU signed that less than five weeks ago.

I saw it last night but didn't bother to post unless someone replied. The clause is for next Summer, something like 45 million (I don't recall exactly), but the Sporting Director or someone said that if someone comes in with a big enough bid they'd consider it.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Philipp Max to PSV for roughly 10M. Quite the acquisition by them. Seems like they found their Angeliño replacement.

They still need CB help and in net. With Mvogo they now have three mediocre goalkeepers. Very impressive up front, though, with Gakpo, Madueke, Malen, Doan, Ihattaren, Bruma.

Reactions: YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry mate, but I think you need to curtail your expectations. For starters, I wouldn't be surprised if Messi leaves for nothing. I don't expect Bartomeu and Co to cave, but if it goes to court it could go either way. Second, we won't get Foden. He's been at the club half his life and I'm sure they won't want to get rid of their one truly "homegrown" player. The only chance we'd have would be the lure of a bigger contract, but I'm sure City would just oblige him. I doubt he'd want to come as well.

The players I could see entering into an operation are Garcia, Cancelo, Jesus, Mahrez, Angelino, Jesus and Silva. I'm not convinced that even half of them would be on the table either.

I'd hope we get something there. Rakitic is a different case because he was on notably higher wages and only wanted Sevilla. That said I could see him leaving on a free and ditching his wages would also be big.

I think the money they're going to save on wages is going to be significant. Without factoring in new arrivals, confirmed or otherwise, the wage bill will be cut by almost 60 million with the departures of Messi, Rakitic, Vidal and Arthur. Add Suarez and Umtiti to the list and you've trimmed off another 36 million. Then you've got the possibility of a wage reduction for guys like Pique, Busquets, Alba and Sergi. The question becomes though, how do they reinvest in the team?

Maybe but were talking about Messi here. A month ago if you told me he's leaving I would've laughed you out the door. Out of respect I wouldnt be unhappy if he leaves on a free but if they get something it should be Foden. Whether city would like it is another matter. I mean you're getting the GOAT, it must be pricey or priceless.

Unless I'm reading the wrong wage bill its 58 million for those players not including Messi who is alone 70 million. As for reinvesting the squad. Start with Foden hijack the Kai deal then just keep adding. Garcia. Martinez.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's still making the transfer rounds though and I think that deal might have a clause in it. Not entirely sure though.

There's a clause starting next summer, but it doesn't mean they will sell this summer or have to sell.

A deal is possible, but only if you significantly overpay for Upamecano. A few extra million than the 41M euro release clause won't be worth it for Leipzig.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
City doesnt want him for 5 years. They want a CL at all costs. Even one year at his level is fine for them as long as he wins them the CL. Had he been 25 he wouldnt be sold. This is a discount.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To be expected, more evidence that Donnarumma link was crap and just trying to get a bigger contract. Maybe it was real and Milan simply rejected taking Kepa, but I doubt it was ever real.

If we bring anyone in, it'll be for no more than 25M IMO. And someone at least willing to be a backup in the future.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
To be expected, more evidence that Donnarumma link was crap and just trying to get a bigger contract. Maybe it was real and Milan simply rejected taking Kepa, but I doubt it was ever real.

If we bring anyone in, it'll be for no more than 25M IMO. And someone at least willing to be a backup in the future.

I agree if we bring anyone in they will be cheaper. Perfect opportunity for a younger undervalued goalie who is ambitious and thinks they can take the Chelsea job though, because best case scenario for them is they play great and earn the starting role here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree if we bring anyone in they will be cheaper. Perfect opportunity for a younger undervalued goalie who is ambitious and thinks they can take the Chelsea job though, because best case scenario for them is they play great and earn the starting role here.
My fear is that we are chasing something that isn't realistically available. We are in a very similar problem we had when we purchased Kepa. How many teams are willing to sell their starting keeper this close to the season.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Maybe but were talking about Messi here. A month ago if you told me he's leaving I would've laughed you out the door. Out of respect I wouldnt be unhappy if he leaves on a free but if they get something it should be Foden. Whether city would like it is another matter. I mean you're getting the GOAT, it must be pricey or priceless.

Unless I'm reading the wrong wage bill its 58 million for those players not including Messi who is alone 70 million. As for reinvesting the squad. Start with Foden hijack the Kai deal then just keep adding. Garcia. Martinez.

None of that is really relevant though. The only card we're playing, assuming we can, is that he's got a year left on his contract. That doesn't get you Foden especially if the player doesn't want to leave. Hopefully we get something for Messi and hopefully it's a lot. I won't expect much though until the whole contract dispute is settled in the club's favor and even then my expectations will be in check.

There are multiple sources for the wages. I actually edited my post before posting it. I had a figure, the initial figure being 100 million if I recall correctly, which was inclusive of that amount for Messi. However I then was seeing more sources showing his wages to be notably less. Not sure if those other sources were looking at his wage post tax or what. If it's 70 million then all the better because we save even more.

There's a clause starting next summer, but it doesn't mean they will sell this summer or have to sell.

A deal is possible, but only if you significantly overpay for Upamecano. A few extra million than the 41M euro release clause won't be worth it for Leipzig.

I posted again before your post referencing the clause and what a club official said. I don't think they have to sell.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So from what I've read on Messi based in The Athletic articles, he had a clause in his contract that expired I believe on June or July 14th that was essentially an "opt-out" clause of his contract. That has in fact indeed expired, but Messi and his associates believe that because of Covid-19 and the impact of it, it should be valid for another another month or two. Certain governments are allowing a delay in registration for driver licenses, car plates, and even loan companies are delaying them like college loans and interest rates until the end of the year, so Messi might have a case. Cristiano Ronaldo is a good example of what could happen because he had a 1 billion Euro release clause, but he had conversations with Perez that allowed him to join Juve for 117 million Euros. It seems that Messi and Bartomeu will have to negotiate a fee out so teams can actually go out and bid/afford him.

Gabriel is official. Hopefully he and Saliba form a very long term partnership
Gabriel is a Gunner! | Defender joins Arsenal

We're going to have a lot of Portuguese on the club, hopefully that doesn't attract Moaninho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad