Player Discussion Summer RFA's

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This off season will bring some interesting decisions on a group of young RFA forwards. What do you predict the next contracts will look like for the following:

Comtois
Lundestrom
Steel
Volkov
Jones
Heinen

Do they qualify Heinen? Does Comtois get locked up long term now that he's solidified himself, or still best to bridge him for another year or two? Bridge deals for the rest?

Last edited:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
All bridges except for a no-QO for Heinen (though that means Bob would acknowledge he botched the Richie trade, so we’ll see).

Did you leave off Jones because you have him on Seattle?

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah I'd see if you could swindle something like 4m for 4 or 5 years for Comtois. I think that would look really good for the team.

The rest of the guys aren't going to get much.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah I'd see if you could swindle something like 4m for 4 or 5 years for Comtois. I think that would look really good for the team.

The rest of the guys aren't going to get much.

Definitely would not be opposed to this at all.

I think if we could get Lundestrom signed to a three year deal similar to Terry's or Ritchie's, that could be a contract that ends up providing a lot of value.

I wouldn't predict more than cheap short term deals for Steel, Jones and Volkov. Won't be surprised either way regarding a qualifying offer for Heinen.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Heinen is history for the Ducks. He is not worth $2.8 million per year, and that is what it would cost to qualify him. Comtois will get a good raise, although I am not certain at what level. It will depend upon the length of the contract. I would try for a three year bridge deal, which would still give the Ducks one year of control when it ended. Of the other four, I would try for a three year deal for Lundestrom, since he is a keeper even as a defensive center, although I hope that he is more. The other two or three, depending upon whether one is them is taken by Seattle, are worth a two year bridge deal at $1.0 - 1.4 million per year.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Heinen is history for the Ducks. He is not worth $2.8 million per year, and that is what it would cost to qualify him. Comtois will get a good raise, although I am not certain at what level. It will depend upon the length of the contract. I would try for a three year bridge deal, which would still give the Ducks one year of control when it ended. Of the other four, I would try for a three year deal for Lundestrom, since he is a keeper even as a defensive center, although I hope that he is more. The other two or three, depending upon whether one is them is taken by Seattle, are worth a two year bridge deal at $1.0 - 1.4 million per year.
They can still offer him a new deal without meeting the QO.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Pretty much agree with everyone else for the most part. Would like Comtois to get the Rakell extension adjusted for inflation (6/$4-5M AAV), Lundestrom gets a 3-year deal that looks similar to Terry’s, and everyone else gets a one or two-year prove it deal (Volkov might get slightly more).

Even if he is non-tendered, I still think there’s a possibility Heinen is brought back on a short-term deal with less money depending on what else Bob does. We’re not exactly deep on quality wingers and he’s a serviceable bottom-sixer whose main competition for a roster spot appears to be Sonny Milano, who already has a history of concussion issues

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Assuming Seattle doesn't pick Volkov, what they offer him might not match what he could get in the KHL ?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This off season will bring some interesting decisions on a group of young RFA forwards. What do you predict the next contracts will look like for the following:

Comtois
Lundestrom
Steel
Volkov
Jones
Heinen

Do they qualify Heinen? Does Comtois get locked up long term now that he's solidified himself, or still best to bridge him for another year or two? Bridge deals for the rest?
Kinda some tough decisions

comtois is really only one that deserves a hefty raise. I would love to lock him in long term on a good contract but no way he signs anything too long unless we pay.... he’s going to be a 30 goal guy imo specially with zegras.

Volkov is tough he’s showed potential... I guess somewhere between 2-3 would work /shrug

steel/Lundy/Jones I imagine would get something like terry.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Seems like a possibility, though by making a qualifying offer we would be able to at least keep his NHL rights. Not sure exactly for how long. Just recently read that the Canucks rights to big Russian D Tryamkin will soon expire.

They expire when he turns 27, so in his case summer of 2025 is when he'd be a UFA. I don't think he heads over there just yet but I could be wrong, he was actually getting decent playing time here. If he was still in Tampa it was probably a sure thing.

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
As others have said, Comtois and Drysdale are exempted from the expansion draft. As for G Stolarz, teams can only protect one goalie. I believe that will be Gibson, not Stolarz. Thus, Stolarz cannot be protected.
I think it'll be Gibson too, more of a track record but I doubt either of them would get picked regardless of who is left unprotected.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think it'll be Gibson too, more of a track record but I doubt either of them would get picked regardless of who is left unprotected.

WTF. Gibson would be the best player available in the whole league for Seattle if he was left unprotected.

Are you actually saying Seattle would rather select any other player that would be left unprotected from the Ducks over Gibson?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I mean...the last expansion draft was 4 years ago. But why comment on something if you dont care to know about what you are commenting about. Just makes you look silly...
I can't believe it's been four years. It feels like just yesterday and also another reality.

These kids are about to learn the tough lesson of Bob's RFA Trials of Blood. Only player's agent I can see playing "hardball" is comtois.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Comtois
Lundestrom
Steel
Volkov
Jones
Heinen

Comtois 4x3.5
Lundestrom 3x2
Steel 1x1
Volkov 2x1
Jones 2x1
Heinen don't qualify

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Comtois 4x3.5
Lundestrom 3x2
Steel 1x1
Volkov 2x1
Jones 2x1
Heinen don't qualify

I’d agree for all except Lundestrom. Given how low his production is I don’t think he has near enough leverage to get that. I think we could easily sign him for three years at closer to 1M, maybe slightly less than what Ritchie got.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Comtois 4x3.5
Lundestrom 3x2
Steel 1x1
Volkov 2x1
Jones 2x1
Heinen don't qualify
Agreed a lot on the bolded part. Bobby Ryan trade ends up being Silf for Bobby as Ritchie is moved for a guy who gets non-qualified.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That’s not how that works, though. It’s Bobby for Silf+ 4 years of solid 3rd line production from Ritchie/Heinen

Regardless, that trade is a massive win for Murray no matter how you spin it
Yeah exactly. Not sure how we just erase the years of Ritchie as if they never happened. Even Noesen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad