Summer Poll Series - Best Islander to wear #21?

Best Islander to wear #21?

• Ron Smith 73

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arnie Brown 73

• Dave Pulkkinen 73

• Andre St. Laurent 74-78

• Mike Kaszycki 78-80

• Dan Plante 96

• Nick Vachon 97

• Trent Hunter 03

• Robert Nilsson 06

• Deron Quint 07

• Chris Wagner 18

• Otto Koivula 20-21

• Kyle Palmieri 21

• Total voters

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Realize most people will go Brent Sutter here... I saw a lot of Brent growing up after the dynasty. And I also saw a lot of Kyle Okposo. And just judging player vs. player as I saw them, I'd say that Kyle was the better player - more skilled, better skater, harder worker. Don't know how to correct that for eras, etc. But I always thought that Sutter was one of the more overrated players of that time. Particularly wrt to his play in the defensive zone. I just did not see it. Just my opinion, though.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Players whose Islanders careers straddled the Dynasty years or continued into the franchise's dark era of the late 1980s are tough to grade. Some had production dips as the team around them became lost some talented players and never replaced them.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Realize most people will go Brent Sutter here... I saw a lot of Brent growing up after the dynasty. And I also saw a lot of Kyle Okposo. And just judging player vs. player as I saw them, I'd say that Kyle was the better player - more skilled, better skater, harder worker. Don't know how to correct that for eras, etc. But I always thought that Sutter was one of the more overrated players of that time. Particularly wrt to his play in the defensive zone. I just did not see it. Just my opinion, though.

Sorry, not even close on your analysis. Brent Sutter was the 2nd best all around center in Isles history, behind Trots. Defensive zone play??? Top 5 Selke voted FOUR TIMES.

610 points in 694 Islander games. 102 points in 84-85! Faceoff percentages weren't kept but those of us who watched a lot of games remember him taking an awful lot of important ones.

And let's not forget he was on Team Canada and won THREE Canada Cups and if memory serves was on the ice when Bossy won the Canada Cup with the OT goal against the USSR.

Okposo has three 20-goal seasons and no 30-goal seasons.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorry, not even close on your analysis. Brent Sutter was the 2nd best all around center in Isles history, behind Trots. Defensive zone play??? Top 5 Selke voted FOUR TIMES.

I realize all that, and never could square it with how he seemed to play.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Again: I fully concede the correct answer is Brent Sutter, but c’mon lets remember Mariusz Czerkawski! The best winger (or player) on a depressing number of Isles teams.

Also, peak Kyle Okposo was a beast.

Reactions: Olliemets

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This thread made me think of how much Trotz would love Okposo's drop passes exiting his own defensive zone....

Reactions: leeroggy

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Again: I fully concede the correct answer is Brent Sutter, but c’mon lets remember Mariusz Czerkawski! The best winger (or player) on a depressing number of Isles teams.

Also, peak Kyle Okposo was a beast.

Kyle Okposo was a beast?

We must have different definitions of the word.

Reactions: leeroggy

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Who knew Okposo would be the center of attention in this thread? Figure this would go down the 900th time to rant about Nilsson/Parise/Milbury…

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
If you want a beast, Brent Sutter was a beast especially in his prime in 1984-85
42-60-102 pts.

Great two-way center, would have been top line center if Trottier wasn’t there.

Brent Sutter’s number should be hanging up in the rafters and still may be someday.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Not close. Brent was an incredible player and competitor/leader. Could do it all and get dirty too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->