OT: Summer Olympics

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I watched a field hockey game tonight and understood nothing. The whistle kept being blown and I had no idea why. I assume sort of foul or violation. Several goals appeared to have been scored that didn't count and the announcer made no attempt to explain what was happening. It was disappointing because otherwise it seemed like an interesting game.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Observation:

Human beings have created more than enough variations of a game whose objective is to get an object into the opponent's net, as well as variations of a game whose objective is to hit an object across a centric net and towards the opponent in a manner that prevents said opponent from hitting the object back over said net.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Italy's Stefano Luongo is a generational water polo player. He's Ovi-like unstoppable from the right corner.

Water polo goalie might really be the most useless position in all of sports. @Machinehead

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No Phelps, Biles exits, family issues, I can't remember the last time I was this disinterested in the Olympics. Too bad normally I absolutely love them and am really upset when they're over.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Italy's Stefano Luongo is a generational water polo player. He's Ovi-like unstoppable from the right corner.

Water polo goalie might really be the most useless position in all of sports. @Machinehead
It's pretty normal in the grand scheme of things. In lacrosse and soccer as well, most goals are just going in. You hedge your bets on making a couple of big stops.

Hockey is the one that's totally on another planet where goalies can control the game.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
No Phelps, Biles exits, family issues, I can't remember the last time I was this disinterested in the Olympics. Too bad normally I absolutely love them and am really upset when they're over.
There's like 50 other different sports for you to try to watch. :laugh:

I found last night's women's badminton matches scintillating.

Reactions: haveandare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Observation:

Human beings have created more than enough variations of a game whose objective is to get an object into the opponent's net, as well as variations of a game whose objective is to hit an object across a centric net and towards the opponent in a manner that prevents said opponent from hitting the object back over said net.
Water polo = field hockey = soccer = handball...

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I watched a field hockey game tonight and understood nothing. The whistle kept being blown and I had no idea why. I assume sort of foul or violation. Several goals appeared to have been scored that didn't count and the announcer made no attempt to explain what was happening. It was disappointing because otherwise it seemed like an interesting game.
But wouldn't it be fun to see the NHL adopt field hockey penalty shots?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Argentina men's volleyball team has a player named Loser. Very unfortunate

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Observation:

Lmfao this is great

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I was talking with my wife the other day, and I'm pretty sure I competitively fenced against the Team USA member who is accused of sexual misconduct.

It's been a while, but I am confident that I must have gone against him in some capacity, either in high school competition or general competition trying to get ranked.

What a downfall he's had. I mean...good for him on being good enough to be an Olympian, but...sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Biggest surprise of the night was seeing Donald Sutherland as the head coach of US men's basketball team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad