Summer of 2018 - NHL Prospect Pools – Team and Prospect Rankings

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore

I decided to do my own NHL team prospect pool rankings this summer using the criterion of “Rookie Status per The Hockey News” as the identifier as to who qualified as a prospect. I also decided to quantify my rankings mathematically using the following point basis:
8 – Superstars
8 – 1st Liners (Includes the Superstars)
5 – 2nd Liners
3 – Difference Makers Not Included Above

As you can see, the points are heavily weighted to the high-end prospects. This is because these are the prospects who make the biggest difference to a team’s success. I thought about adding extra pints for prospects who are likely to become NHL regulars but didn’t for two reasons:
1. Non-difference makers can be attained relatively easily by trade or free agent routes.
2. Too much extra work and time without significantly changing the rankings.

The difference between teams is not that great so I will summarize them in tiers.
1. Tier 1 = >35 points – Detroit, Vancouver – All have at least 6 prospects with points.
2. Tier 2 = 26 to 34 inc. – Vancouver, Carolina, NY Islanders, Buffalo, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Ottawa – All have at least 5 prospects with points.
3. Tier 3 = 18 to 25 inc. – Colorado, Montreal, St. Louis, Vegas – All have at least 4 prospects with points.
4. Tier 4 = 11 to 17 inc. – Columbus, Florida, Los Angeles, Dallas, Toronto, Arizona, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, Calgary, Winnipeg – All have 3 prospects with points except for Nashville with 2.
5. Tier 5 = 3 to 10 inc. – Edmonton, Washington, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, San Jose – All have at least 1 prospect with points.
6. Tier 6 = No Points – Minnesota, Pittsburg

After all that work, I realize that I made a huge mistake. What I wanted to do was to identify who will be the elite teams in the future. I now realize that I needed to include the younger NHL players (probably those 25 and under) in the pools to correctly determine this – maybe next year. I strongly suspect that Buffalo would top the rankings giving the 25 and under criterion.
While you may disagree with the points allocation or individual prospect rankings, I believe the rankings give a decent comparison of NHL teams prospect pools. For those of you who would like the entire spreadsheet with stats and personal data as well as links to eliteprospects, just message me and I will forward it to you. Thanks for reading.

DetroitVancouverCarolinaNY IslandersBuffalo
Team points4437343431
8 pts - SuperstarZadina, FilipSvechnikov, AndreiDahlin, Rasmus
8 pts - 1st linerZadina, FilipPettersson, EliasSvechnikov, AndreiWahlstrom, OliverDahlin, Rasmus
Rasmussen, MichaelHughes, QuinnNecas, MartinDobson, Noah
Demko, ThatcherSorokin, Ilya
5 pts - 2nd linerVeleno, JoeJuolevi, OlliBean, JakeBellows, KiefferMittelstadt, Casey
McIsaac, JaredDahlen, JonathanFox, AdamWilde, BodeNylander, Alex
Berggren, JonatanSamuelsson, Mattias
Hronek, Filip
3 pts - Difference makerGaudette, Adam
1Zadina, FilipPettersson, EliasSvechnikov, AndreiWahlstrom, OliverDahlin, Rasmus
2Rasmussen, MichaelHughes, QuinnNecas, MartinDobson, NoahMittelstadt, Casey
3Veleno, JoeDemko, ThatcherBean, JakeSorokin, IlyaNylander, Alex
4Berggren, JonatanJuolevi, OlliFox, AdamBellows, KiefferSamuelsson, Mattias
5McIsaac, JaredDahlen, JonathanZykov, ValentinWilde, BodeGuhle, Brendan
6Hronek, FilipGaudette, AdamMcKeown, RolandToews, DevonAsplund, Rasmus
7Cholowski, DennisLind, KoleSaarela, AleksiSoderstrom, LinusUllmark, Linus
8Regula, AlexDiPietro, MichaelGauthier, JulienAho, SebastianDavidsson, Marcus
9Lindstrom, GustavWoo, JettRoy, NicolasSkarek, JakubOlofsson, Victor
10Svechnikov, EvgenyGadjovich, JonahFoegele, WarrenVande Sompel, MitchellPu, Cliff
11Larsson, FilipBrisebois, GuillaumeKuokkanen, JanneWotherspoon, ParkerBorgen, Will
12Rybar, PatrikJasek, LukasWallmark, LucasQuenneville, DavidPilut, Lawrence
13Sulak, LiborBrassard, MattDrury, JackIskhakov, RuslanPekar, Matej
14Kotkansalo, KasperPalmu, PetrusMartin, LukeKoivula, OttoLuukkonen, Ukko-Pekka
15Hicketts, JoeMadden, TylerNedeljkovic, AlexGolyshev, AnatoliSmith, CJ
HMPope, DavidLockwood, WillMattheos, StelioDal Colle, MichaelHickey, Brandon
HMSmith, GivaniRathbone, JackMaenalanen, SakuSalo, RobinO'Reagan, Danny
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I disagree with some of the status on players (Mittelstadt too low, Dahlin not on same level as Zadina/Svech...maybe add another 8 points for franchise player?) but it's an interesting concept! Thanks for the hard work.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Are you saying these are rankings that will be based as of Summer 2019?

Because summer 2019 the Rangers have to be in the top 5 with the assets and picks they'll have in the 2019 draft

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I disagree with some of the status on players (Mittelstadt too low, Dahlin not on same level as Zadina/Svech...maybe add another 8 points for franchise player?) but it's an interesting concept! Thanks for the hard work.

My bad, 2018 of course. Thanks for picking that up.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Pettersson not being more valuable than Zadina is contradictory to everything going on around here. Not saying it's wrong, but it's different.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Pettersson not being more valuable than Zadina is contradictory to everything going on around here. Not saying it's wrong, but it's different.
I foresee Pettersson coming out on top of that one. Zadina never really wowed me like Elias has

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Looked like a lot of work so i'll say congrats on the effort but Going by the hockey news is where this went off the rails, finding out more and more they are the CNN of the hockey world! :D They don't see these prospects and go by word of mouth and basement scouting information they can dig up with a google search or on twitter....

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
As a Detroit fan, I'm not gonna complain. :laugh:

You ain't very high on Mittelstadt though, eh?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Your top 5 is probably correct, give or take with Philly and the Rangers, but I'd probably rearrange the order. I mean, for one thing, Buffalo has got to be #1 right now in my eyes with Dahlin alone.

Crazy how much Detroit reorganized their pool after this year's stockpile of picks. They were probably closer to the bottom 10 last year around this time.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Your top 5 is probably correct, give or take with Philly and the Rangers, but I'd probably rearrange the order. I mean, for one thing, Buffalo has got to be #1 right now in my eyes with Dahlin alone.

Crazy how much Detroit reorganized their pool after this year's stockpile of picks. They were probably closer to the bottom 10 last year around this time.

Only issue I see with Detroit's draft is likelihood of reaching their potential.

They swung for home runs, which is what they needed to do, but it could go either way. Did Veleno fall because there were legitimate concerns of him not having top 6 potential, or did teams just get overly sour on him because he's not the generational talent he looked like when he was 16. Will Berggren overcome the size criticism, or will in hinder him in the pros.

There's question marks on both of those guys, but if they end up answering the bell you're looking at probably one of the better drafts for a single team in the last decade, and probably Detroit's best draft since they pulled Feds/Lidstrom/Konstantinov.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Zadina doesn’t belong in the Superstar category. Removing him from there puts Detroit more in line with the other teams.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

I decided to do my own NHL team prospect pool rankings this summer using the criterion of “Rookie Status per The Hockey News” as the identifier as to who qualified as a prospect. I also decided to quantify my rankings mathematically using the following point basis:
8 – Superstars
8 – 1st Liners (Includes the Superstars)
5 – 2nd Liners
3 – Difference Makers Not Included Above

As you can see, the points are heavily weighted to the high-end prospects. This is because these are the prospects who make the biggest difference to a team’s success. I thought about adding extra pints for prospects who are likely to become NHL regulars but didn’t for two reasons:
1. Non-difference makers can be attained relatively easily by trade or free agent routes.
2. Too much extra work and time without significantly changing the rankings.

The difference between teams is not that great so I will summarize them in tiers.
1. Tier 1 = >35 points – Detroit, Vancouver – All have at least 6 prospects with points.
2. Tier 2 = 26 to 34 inc. – Vancouver, Carolina, NY Islanders, Buffalo, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Ottawa – All have at least 5 prospects with points.
3. Tier 3 = 18 to 25 inc. – Colorado, Montreal, St. Louis, Vegas – All have at least 4 prospects with points.
4. Tier 4 = 11 to 17 inc. – Columbus, Florida, Los Angeles, Dallas, Toronto, Arizona, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, Calgary, Winnipeg – All have 3 prospects with points except for Nashville with 2.
5. Tier 5 = 3 to 10 inc. – Edmonton, Washington, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, San Jose – All have at least 1 prospect with points.
6. Tier 6 = No Points – Minnesota, Pittsburg

After all that work, I realize that I made a huge mistake. What I wanted to do was to identify who will be the elite teams in the future. I now realize that I needed to include the younger NHL players (probably those 25 and under) in the pools to correctly determine this – maybe next year. I strongly suspect that Buffalo would top the rankings giving the 25 and under criterion.
While you may disagree with the points allocation or individual prospect rankings, I believe the rankings give a decent comparison of NHL teams prospect pools. For those of you who would like the entire spreadsheet with stats and personal data as well as links to eliteprospects, just message me and I will forward it to you. Thanks for reading.

DetroitVancouverCarolinaNY IslandersBuffalo
Team points4437343431
8 pts - SuperstarZadina, FilipSvechnikov, AndreiDahlin, Rasmus
8 pts - 1st linerZadina, FilipPettersson, EliasSvechnikov, AndreiWahlstrom, OliverDahlin, Rasmus
Rasmussen, MichaelHughes, QuinnNecas, MartinDobson, Noah
Demko, ThatcherSorokin, Ilya
5 pts - 2nd linerVeleno, JoeJuolevi, OlliBean, JakeBellows, KiefferMittelstadt, Casey
McIsaac, JaredDahlen, JonathanFox, AdamWilde, BodeNylander, Alex
Berggren, JonatanSamuelsson, Mattias
Hronek, Filip
3 pts - Difference makerGaudette, Adam
1Zadina, FilipPettersson, EliasSvechnikov, AndreiWahlstrom, OliverDahlin, Rasmus
2Rasmussen, MichaelHughes, QuinnNecas, MartinDobson, NoahMittelstadt, Casey
3Veleno, JoeDemko, ThatcherBean, JakeSorokin, IlyaNylander, Alex
4Berggren, JonatanJuolevi, OlliFox, AdamBellows, KiefferSamuelsson, Mattias
5McIsaac, JaredDahlen, JonathanZykov, ValentinWilde, BodeGuhle, Brendan
6Hronek, FilipGaudette, AdamMcKeown, RolandToews, DevonAsplund, Rasmus
7Cholowski, DennisLind, KoleSaarela, AleksiSoderstrom, LinusUllmark, Linus
8Regula, AlexDiPietro, MichaelGauthier, JulienAho, SebastianDavidsson, Marcus
9Lindstrom, GustavWoo, JettRoy, NicolasSkarek, JakubOlofsson, Victor
10Svechnikov, EvgenyGadjovich, JonahFoegele, WarrenVande Sompel, MitchellPu, Cliff
11Larsson, FilipBrisebois, GuillaumeKuokkanen, JanneWotherspoon, ParkerBorgen, Will
12Rybar, PatrikJasek, LukasWallmark, LucasQuenneville, DavidPilut, Lawrence
13Sulak, LiborBrassard, MattDrury, JackIskhakov, RuslanPekar, Matej
14Kotkansalo, KasperPalmu, PetrusMartin, LukeKoivula, OttoLuukkonen, Ukko-Pekka
15Hicketts, JoeMadden, TylerNedeljkovic, AlexGolyshev, AnatoliSmith, CJ
HMPope, DavidLockwood, WillMattheos, StelioDal Colle, MichaelHickey, Brandon
HMSmith, GivaniRathbone, JackMaenalanen, SakuSalo, RobinO'Reagan, Danny
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
VAN listed twice.

BOS missing.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota has zero points with Kaprizov in the system? Kids got 1st line talent written all over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad