Summer inline skating

flamer82

Aug 13, 2010
Hey all im just after any advice or tips as to do with skating during the summer time on inline skates whether or not this is a good idea. I'm from Australia and our winter season has just started here and i havent joined a team or really done much skating at all due to a few nagging injuries but also im awaiting a visa to move across to the USA. The local rink doesnt due any ice sessions during the summer and the lack of skating always worries me as i hate to be behind the 8 ball as it would be at the start of the season.

Its something im not used to as we have year round training and game here on the ice so when im not hurt im generally playing or training but obviously with no ice i was thinking about getting some inline skates to atleast be skating in some form. I was just hoping to get some pointers so i dont obviously pick up any nasty skating habits from being on inline skates or any sort of training regimes that people have ive only been playing for 2 years now but im always looking to improve considerably so even some pretty full on training ideas id be keen on.

Thanks for the help!

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
It wont be the same because stopping isnt the same and you cant do the same edgework that you can on ice but ANY skating is better than none at all.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Great way to keep your legs in shape or even improve them. Stopping is easy just do a quick turn. You won't pick up any bad habits at all, everyone I know that played hockey also played inline either in leagues or on the road. Some are in the NHL now so it will not hurt your skating. It will take you a few minutes to get used to skates again the first time you're on ice but then you'll be right back to usual.

It can actually help improve your skating if you focus on getting low and taking long strides. Can also work on your first 3 strides and really exploding from standing still.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
I direct an inline hockey league which goes from april-november (2 sessions, tournaments, pick-up games). I also play ice hockey in the summer and winter, point being I am quite used to playing both forms of hockey and I would agree with everyone who says it definitely helps to skate, regardless of if it is inline or not. like was mentioned, stopping is totally different, the rules are different (we dont play with offsides/icing) we skate 4 to a team, and we use a ball not a puck. anyway, i find myself using a lot of the same techniques for the most part while playing ice and inline. rule differences arent going to throw you off nor is inline skating, if you know the game you know the game. at least for me, i feel like playing inline helps me on the ice (i play inline 3 times a week, ice about once-twice a week). I say go for it, some hockey is better than no hockey!

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I play roller in summer as my icerink closes from may till october, and what i found very useful is to build kind of a rocker with the wheels (eg wheelsize 76-80-80-76 instead all wheels 80). before that i have had some funny moments getting back on ice because of the rocker of the blades, now it seems fine.

also one thing where rollerhockey can even improve skating is transitions, as you'll have to use your "blades" much more presisely, eg you can't slide sideways on them as you'd do on ice.

budster

Schoolyard Puck
The biggest thing I notice when skating on inline vs ice:
  • Avoid picking your feet up too high on your strides, "gliding" is a little different
  • Skating w/ an outward motion is more difficult because your wheels can slide if you're too steep
  • Edge control/stopping is much different
Other than that you should be good. Here's more on the subject if you're really interested. A lot of people think skating on rollerblades will mess you up, but the benefits outweigh the potential consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->