Summer Friendlies - 2019

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Man, I haven't been a fan of the way the team has played this pre-season. Not enough crisp ball movement... That's Emery football fro you.

I agree. Guendouzi and Xhaka take too many touches in midfield which allows the opposition defence to get organised and stops all opportunities to attack at pace. The movement from the midfield is lackluster and we don’t play enough quick one touch passes, which is partly because of that. Emery is far too reliant on overlapping runs and wants the team to find a low cutback all the time, and we lack offensive variera and creativity.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Chelsea's leading scorer next season, mark my words.
Realistic. Abraham seems to be the leader to start as the #9, Barkley as the #10. If RLC was healthy, I'd have him as the leader. The wingers will get plenty of rotation, with Hudson-Odoi starting off hurt, Pulisic being new, and Pedro and Willian will get their minutes. It'll be a scoring by committee type approach. It'll be interesting seeing the attack. We they fall on their face with no real star or will a group effort be effective.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs doing like Arsenal - racking up trophies.

No idea why Sissoko has to play so much considering this was the second game in two days, but I guess Pochettino is just used to it by now - Sissoko always plays.

Pray Foyth was just stamped and not ruptured his achilles or something really bad. I think it was just a stamp....

I never read much into pre-season games, but a lot of positives from Spurs these two games. Even N´Koudou looks up for it. And Lamela is a totally different player now. Seems like he is finally fit. Really hope he can have a fairly injury free season for once. Don´t think he will ever be as good as I hoped he would be when Spurs bought him, but could be a very useful squad player through a long season.

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think the thing that drove me nuts, was ESPN announcer, saying Tottenham hasn't won anything since 84, went on to say this preseason tournament was their 1st win of significance

Ummmm they won the ICC last year...cant call 1 meaningless preseason tournament more important than the other meaningless preseason tournament

Reactions: Cassano

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Amazing goal by Davies today. Even better coming against spurs ;) .

Just happy to see the guy succeed really.

Reactions: Tuggy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprised that no talent Pedro scored an insane goal like that, but blind squirrels tend to find nuts once in a while.

Wasn't very impressed by Arsenal today, don't want to judge Medley, but damn the kid was terrible at CB. Like a deer in the headlights all game long and the reason why Angers scored.

- I also don't see anything special from Burton, sure he might need some seasoning being part of the youth academy, but he does almost nothing well.

- Guedouzi was Arsenal's best player today and again not sure that means much since there wasn't anything going on. Arsenal relies way too much of their build up to lead to scoring chances and I want to see Emery have a more "wing-it" or creation on the fly attitude in terms of creating offence.

- Nelson and Martinelli both had very strong games today. I am seeing more and more of Martinelli's hype, the lad runs down the pitch with the ball like di Maria and some of his dribbling is Messi-esque. Now don't think I am even comparing any sort of talent to one of the previous greatest players of all-time. But how Martinelli can go on his horse, stop on a dime, and then change to any direction with the ball is eerie similar to Messi in terms of playing style. He's super good at making dummy dribbles as well.

- Not sure what else there is to say, Xhaka looked good I guess and I liked what I saw from Willock when he came on too. John-Jules was very quiet, but his work ethic always makes him noticeable.

Last edited:

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Rashford and Martial seem to be swapping between CF and LW every 5 minutes. Even had Rashford at RW and Martial at LW for a few minutes.

Nice goal by Rashford cutting in from the left at speed. Poor performance by United so far.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think the thing that drove me nuts, was ESPN announcer, saying Tottenham hasn't won anything since 84, went on to say this preseason tournament was their 1st win of significance

Ummmm they won the ICC last year...cant call 1 meaningless preseason tournament more important than the other meaningless preseason tournament

And 1984 was the last time Spurs won a major European trophy. They were FA Cup winners in 1991 (the last hurrah for the old 'Tottenham always wins trophies in a year that ends in one' cliche) as well as League Cup winners in 1999 and 2008.

So the commentator appears to have become so besotted with the idea of having something clever to say that facts have gone out the window in order to say it. (Going by your post, at least. I didn't hear the commentary first hand).

Reactions: Fro

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
United improved when Matic, Mata and Pereira came off. Lingard, James and Fred came on. Smalling seems to be the odd one out having not played in the last two games, unless I missed him getting injured. Gomes keeps impressing in limited minutes, hopefully he gets some more this season. Going on pre-season the starting XI against Chelsea might be:

Martial
Rashford Lingard James
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea
I'd be tempted to throw Greenwood in at RW.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cool that the Spurs match is apparently sold out.

Love the team. Looking forward to see a game with a team closer to how it will look come next weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad