Summer Friendlies - 2019

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Didn't really get to see much from the games in the states. But from the little I've seen this preseason Hoever looks good and possibly ready to get a few games under his belt in the domestic cups and maybe come on from the bench in the league a few games? Either that or a loan spell somewhere

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC has been too consistently bad this preseason for me to not be un-worried about this. They are giving up two goals again, and for a team that relies on their wide options to score, they aren’t providing enough offense. They aren’t going for 4th, they are going for 1st. There is a difference.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We're way off the pace because we're missing four of our best players. Mignolet parries practically every ball back into traffic and misses one shot that goes straight at him.

Not a single one of those goals gets past Alisson.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think they played too much, and too hard last season not to have a hangover. Especially with the Copa and the AFCON inbetween (and to some extent Nations League finals) affecting our very best players. We do not have the depth to challenge on all fronts; our season that just past is really not like repeatable. Don't get me wrong Liverpool have one of the finest squads in the world at the moment, but they had a really good opportunity to be progressive this summer and didn't take it. I find it highly unlikely they are going to take a step forward and earnestly challenge for the league sitting on their hands.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see a step back coming this season. Wouldn't even be surprised to not finish 2nd with fixture congestion, fatigue and other factors (teams being more prepared for what Liverpool brought last season, etc.).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We're way off the pace because we're missing four of our best players. Mignolet parries practically every ball back into traffic and misses one shot that goes straight at him.

Not a single one of those goals gets past Alisson.
It shows the depth isn’t good enough. They are already leggy. Neither Wilson nor Kent did enough to earn a spot. There are too many games. This was not a summer of a team that knows what it will take to beat City. Mignolet hasn’t been great but the defense hasn’t helped him at all. They are asleep. They need to flip the switch and fast.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think they played too much, and too hard last season not to have a hangover. Especially with the Copa and the AFCON inbetween (and to some extent Nations League finals) affecting our very best players. We do not have the depth to challenge on all fronts; our season that just past is really not like repeatable. Don't get me wrong Liverpool have one of the finest squads in the world at the moment, but they had a really good opportunity to be progressive this summer and didn't take it. I find it highly unlikely they are going to take a step forward and earnestly challenge for the league sitting on their hands.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see a step back coming this season. Wouldn't even be surprised to not finish 2nd with fixture congestion, fatigue and other factors (teams being more prepared for what Liverpool brought last season, etc.).
I agree with most of this. We have seen Klopp burn out teams before, and I would feel a lot better if Kent or Wilson proved they were Liverpool quality.

I still think Liverpool gets second. I think Tottenham gets 3rd with 75-80 points. Liverpool gets 2nd with 85-90 points and City get around 95.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Good luck taking the ball off Kubo. He is like a futsal player. Ridiculous.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Maybe United could finish top 4 if they were playing in the Norwegian league. Let's see if they can put one behind 7th placed Kristiansund here in the second half.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Really gotta question the level of quality of the Seria A.
How can a newly promoted premier league side Norwich City dominate a Seria A top 3 finisher from the last season.

Both teams are playing pretty much with their starting 11.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Two things. It is pre-season and the English teams are closer to their first league game - so typically a bit further ahead in their preparations.

Norwich would not be a top 3 team in Italy.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pogba throughball to Mata, keeper brings him down, Mata converts the penalty. Kristiansund's keepers were the stars of the game.

Worthy of mention that the crowd was heavily pro-United with thousands of United fans from all over the Nordic countries in attendance. Maybe when the Olympic Stadium renovation is finished, we might get them to come to Helsinki...

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Skipp looked more than ready to take over Wanyama's minutes. Parrott and Tanganga deserve some cup features.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. Don´t want to read too much into a couple of pre-season games, but three very solid young players. Most of them won´t swim in the end, but those three got a fair shot. Especially Parrott looks a bit special, but impossible to say who will end up the best player. Got to admit Tanganga came a bit out of nowhere for me. Plays with a level a maturity someone that inexperienced really shouldn´t play with. Skipp is already a PL player.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Would be nice to get homegrown talent into the regular lineup. Much cheaper and makes it easier to attract young talent to the academy.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Very very odd press conference with Pochettino after the game. He is a bit difficult at times, but this was on another level - getting upset for things he really shouldn´t get upset about.

Don´t want to read too much into things, but he is clearly unhappy about something. Might just be there and then - he is emotional - but more likely something bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad