OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I love them. Buy some Anthony's cheddar cheese powder (dirt cheap) and the Ziti shiritaki noodles and BAM. Keto friendly Kraft mac and cheese knock-off.
Can you tell me more about the shiritaki noodles? I bought them once but they tasted so weird. I've read conflicting information about needing to rinse them first?

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Yah, actually have tried it and it is alright, but not my favorite because it almost tastes off when I try and mix it with stuff.

I like to do a bit more on the asian side of cooking, and the zucchini seemed kinda weird with that haha
The zucchini with garlic and oil is really good. If they sit in the fridge more than a few days, have to toss them.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
make exercise a thing.
The key is finding something you love doing. Then it becomes addicting. Not nearly addicting enough to give up food, however. That I love. Eating it and making it. For me the key was leaving the globo gyms behind. Workouts that are properly structured do not need to take long and can include elements of cardio, weight lifting and core work. One can always do side bar weight lifting on the side. Anyway, I need the workouts for multiple reasons. Love of food is one of them.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Dude staying off all that stuff, like no bread in the apartment, no sugars, no soda or beer, low saturated fat - makes it so much easier to just stay in decent shape with no real outside effort

For me I just revolve around pushups and cardio mostly, but you'd be surprised what just a **** ton of different pushups can do for muscle definition haha

Pushups are also just convenient as hell - if, while cooking dinner, I feel guilty about not exercising as much as I wanted to that day or something I can always just drop and do 50 while waiting for something on the stove; I know it doesn't do much just doing that but hey it is something haha

Going on vacation in a couple of days. If I can't find a fitness center, I'll have to keep pushups and chair dips in mind. Good thing I'm a social drinker, it limits my alcohol consumption. I'll have a soda once in a blue moon (pun intended), and I won't even finish the whole can. And good thing I don't like bread.

If you eat right inherently, then like you said, it is much easier to stay or get in shape.
However I do like working out. The swole feels good lol

Reactions: E-Train

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Can you tell me more about the shiritaki noodles? I bought them once but they tasted so weird. I've read conflicting information about needing to rinse them first?

OK. Here's the deal.

They smell like fish and are f***ing gross out of the bag. Rinse them under luke-warm water for about 3-5 minutes (turn them in a colander every so often). Then, put them in a non-stick pan and just heat them up (no oil, no nothing). It will help dry the noodles out.

After they are hot and at your desired dryness/crispiness/etc., add whatever you want to them. You can do a stir-fry with them, you can just add tomato sauce, you can make mac & cheese, etc. I've taken them and even made BAKED mac & cheese (get the noodles dry and slightly crispy, add the cheese, put in the oven, eat).

Some folks like to boil them after washing them, but I'm not sure it's needed. You DO have to pan heat them, though, IMO.

Reactions: Lion Hound

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The key is finding something you love doing. Then it becomes addicting. Not nearly addicting enough to give up food, however. That I love. Eating it and making it. For me the key was leaving the globo gyms behind. Workouts that are properly structured do not need to take long and can include elements of cardio, weight lifting and core work. One can always do side bar weight lifting on the side. Anyway, I need the workouts for multiple reasons. Love of food is one of them.

So true. Once you get into an exercise rhythm, you want to keep going. But seeing results is bar none the greatest motivator. If someone doesn't want to rack their brain over structure or what to do this day or that day, do a circuit workout a couple of times a week. There is a variety of workout theories (split upper/lower body days, circuit, interval, whatever etc), but you'll always find one that works for you.

The thing is, I *like* working out. The swole is like a high.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
OK. Here's the deal.

They smell like fish and are ****ing gross out of the bag. Rinse them under luke-warm water for about 3-5 minutes (turn them in a colander every so often). Then, put them in a non-stick pan and just heat them up (no oil, no nothing). It will help dry the noodles out.

After they are hot and at your desired dryness/crispiness/etc., add whatever you want to them. You can do a stir-fry with them, you can just add tomato sauce, you can make mac & cheese, etc. I've taken them and even made BAKED mac & cheese (get the noodles dry and slightly crispy, add the cheese, put in the oven, eat).

Some folks like to boil them after washing them, but I'm not sure it's needed. You DO have to pan heat them, though, IMO.
Oh. Yeah. I f***ed up. I didn't rinse. :cry:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Going on vacation in a couple of days. If I can't find a fitness center, I'll have to keep pushups and chair dips in mind. Good thing I'm a social drinker, it limits my alcohol consumption. I'll have a soda once in a blue moon (pun intended), and I won't even finish the whole can. And good thing I don't like bread.

If you eat right inherently, then like you said, it is much easier to stay or get in shape.
However I do like working out. The swole feels good lol

If you are going on vacation, get a set of resistance bands. Either the ones that you step on to do curls, etc. or the ones that you put on the door to do more advanced workouts.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Swole is the goal.

I like it too. Like I said, my key was abandoning the globos. All of my workouts now are structured by a coach, come in group settings (unless I am doing extra credit work on the side). Having the programming done, all the training becomes constantly varied. And seeing results is fun. The chase for Gainz is always on.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If you are going on vacation, get a set of resistance bands. Either the ones that you step on to do curls, etc. or the ones that you put on the door to do more advanced workouts.

Great idea. I used some low-resistance ones during physiotherapy last year.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Oh. Yeah. I ****ed up. I didn't rinse. :cry:
Jesus christ, that makes me gag lol

Rinse in a colander for a few minutes

You can either cook them in a pan or sometimes if I have chicken already going in the pan I'll microwave them for 2 minutes and then chuck them in the pan with the chicken and sauce

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So true. Once you get into an exercise rhythm, you want to keep going. But seeing results is bar none the greatest motivator. If someone doesn't want to wrack their brain over structure or what to do this day or that day, do a circuit workout a couple of times a week. There is a variety of workout theories (split upper/lower body days, circuit, interval, whatever etc), but you'll always find one that works for you.

Yeah my one piece of advice to anyone looking to get started is to just do something. Anything. Really.

It doesn't have to be anything extra complicated or some program that promises to get you shredded in 20 days or what have you (most of these suck anyway), there are literally hundreds of free programs you can find on the internet that will suffice, pick one and stick with it for a while.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Been doing intermittent fasting for 5+ years now with no problems. These days my eating window is about 20/4. I notice if I stay away from bread, dairy, and sugar the pounds will melt off very fast and increase my energy levels.

Generally my diet consists of oatmeal, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, some meat, and a greens supplement for micronutrients. Only drink water, tea and coffee.

Workouts are kind of inconsistent though. Get to a point where im satisfied then ill slack off for weeks. Definitely need to do more cardio. Keep the lifts pretty basic. Lots of heavy 5x5 compounds with the barbell. Unfortunately had some health issues last year so I put on an extra 25 pounds just eating like garbage and not giving a shit.

Anyway, nice thread. Keep fighting the good fight boys!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah my one piece of advice to anyone looking to get started is to just do something. Anything. Really.
The first step is always the hardest. I remember when I left NY Sports Club and stepped into where I am today. I could not do anything. I thought I knew weight lifting and fitness. I knew nothing. And slowly, but ever so slowly, you learn to lift properly and you learn to do workouts that are designed to leave you in a puddle of sweat. And then somewhere along the way, you start to like it. More and more.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Been doing intermittent fasting for 5+ years now with no problems. These days my eating window is about 20/4. I notice if I stay away from bread, dairy, and sugar the pounds will melt off very fast and increase my energy levels.

Generally my diet consists of oatmeal, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, some meat, and a greens supplement for micronutrients. Only drink water, tea and coffee.

Workouts are kind of inconsistent though. Get to a point where im satisfied then ill slack off for weeks. Definitely need to do more cardio. Keep the lifts pretty basic. Lots of heavy 5x5 compounds with the barbell. Unfortunately had some health issues last year so I put on an extra 25 pounds just eating like garbage and not giving a ****.

I was on 20/4 while doing Keto for a while.

My one meal usually consisted of a pound of ground beef, a ton of bacon, cheddar cheese and butter mixed into one delicious ass dish with assorted veggies and a protein shake on the side.

Felt like a King ever time I finished a meal.

Reactions: Claxton

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Workouts are kind of inconsistent though. Get to a point where im satisfied then ill slack off for weeks. Definitely need to do more cardio. Keep the lifts pretty basic. Lots of heavy 5x5 compounds with the barbell. Unfortunately had some health issues last year so I put on an extra 25 pounds just eating like garbage and not giving a ****.

Good diet plan. If you're not looking to gain, then "some meat" is probably fine. Last year I lost all the mass I had gained due to tennis elbow and foot injuries that kept me away from working out. Finally healed, I started again in March and over the past four months got back everything I lost.

I hate that rubber arm feeling after going a week or more without weights. That and missing the endorphins are what compel me.

Reactions: Claxton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad