OT: Summer Fitness Thread

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
See, I just can't justify the 6 full carbs. I've seen some lower carb ones on Netrition, but I'd rather just roll without the tortilla if I had to since I'd prefer to put the carbs into sour cream or some taco sauce.
There are other ones - some having 3-5 carbs but yeah thats fair. They save me though, especially during the week. I'll run to the Publix across the street from my office and grab Boars Head turkey or chicken as well as some cheese. I make a wrap at work with a few slices of cheese, mayo, mustard and some lettuce.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Found this thread. I lift 3-4 times a week. The endorphins are great. Genetics are against me. I'm never going to be huge, but I gained good mass and lost body fat over the last 3-4 months. So I've got a good shredded look going. Didn't work out most of last year because of injuries, but I'm probably in my best shape ever currently.

I mirror Allucks in my eating habits, except for the dairy part. Getting in shape is 75% eating habits.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know...Have to increase the calories on it. Crazy that im even saying that. Diet can be harder if you are not making your own food. I am in the middle of a renovation on my home, so every meal until this weekend we were eating out. Its tough to know what some of the restaurants were putting in the food. Specifically, like if we ordered BBQ like Ribs. We would request no sauce, and would ask if they could use a rub, but when you tasted it there was sugar or molasses in it somewhere. So in that time frame i opted to go straight to the basics. Chicken salad with bacon became an every other day meal.

I hear you, but you can always go HAM with the full fat dressing or cheese on that salad.

I had some trouble hitting my calorie needs too (fat keeps you full) so I just started adding extra butter/cream/cheese/etc. to what ever I was making/eating. Worked like a charm.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Late to the party but ive been keto since February, down to almost 160 from 190. After a month or two my girlfriend saw my progress and joined me.

Years back i lost almost 50 lbs on keto, started working an awful job for a while and put a bunch of the weight back on. Keto is magic.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Also, Whiskey. No carbs. I give up beer (sans the occasional Corona Premier) when on Keto.
I'm no expert but my understanding is that the calories from liquor are entirely from carbs indirectly. Sugar is broken down into ethanol which has the CH but loses the O and count as carbs from a keto perspective. Those calories get burned before anything else.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm no expert but my understanding is that the calories from liquor are entirely from carbs indirectly. Sugar is broken down into ethanol which has the CH but loses the O and count as carbs from a keto perspective. Those calories get burned before anything else.

I dunno to be honest. I have never had a problem with Whiskey on a Keto diet. I stay in Ketosis with no problem.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
This is a great thread. Congrats to Jon on that weight loss. I've been lifting 3 days a week since April. The biggest thing for me is maintaining focus on eating and training. When that starts to wane with me, I lose my gains. Went from 235 to 196 three years ago. I didn't gain all of it back but am working on getting back to the 190s. I'm 5'11.

Reactions: will1066

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Split with my GF of 8 years in March. Took some time to live it up on the bar scene and then forced myself to get in shape in mid May. Down 25lbs so far.

Biggest change? Stop drinking my calories and started intermittent fasting. 16/8 during the week and 18/6 on the weekends. I've never been a fan of getting up and eating, and this has totally eliminated the morning fog I used to have. Also have marked improvement in my blood sugar levels.

I specifically avoided keto because I know I don't have the discipline to work my macros like that. Also, beer. I'm a craft snob and want to be able to indulge when I can.

Other than that? Solid lifting routine and HIIT spread out over 5 days. Long way to go but I'm enjoying the ride which is what will keep me on track.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

They will get "burned" first, but you're not going to see an insulin reaction in the way that you would from a true carb. We are talking what is now an alcohol vs a sugar. It will stop your metabolism for a bit, but it's not going to just cause you to get kicked out of ketosis. Big difference.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Split with my GF of 8 years in March. Took some time to live it up on the bar scene and then forced myself to get in shape in mid May. Down 25lbs so far.

Biggest change? Stop drinking my calories and started intermittent fasting. 16/8 during the week and 18/6 on the weekends. I've never been a fan of getting up and eating, and this has totally eliminated the morning fog I used to have. Also have marked improvement in my blood sugar levels.

I specifically avoided keto because I know I don't have the discipline to work my macros like that. Also, beer. I'm a craft snob and want to be able to indulge when I can.

Other than that? Solid lifting routine and HIIT spread out over 5 days. Long way to go but I'm enjoying the ride which is what will keep me on track.

IF + keto is a great combo. I know you said you avoid keto, but if you're already doing IF . . . ;)

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Skimmed a bit....but seems like the consensus is....beer.

Getting married in 3 months, seriously need to get to work. im at highest weight in my life at the moment and have always been super athletic played sports in high school and on the collegiate level for a bit. My work schedule is insane, pretty much minimum of 14 hours a day and can't find time to hit the gym. I actually eat very well....but it's beer for me, I indulge a little too much.

Need to find some way to start cutting again, in minimal time and minimal time to do it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BRB going to McDonalds for lunch for my diet.

HGHuiIs.jpg

DIET FOOD.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I eat these with chicken and broccoli at least once a week, they're great

Edit: Do amazon links not work?

Anyway, they are called Shirtaki Noodles, low carb and low calorie, still taste pretty good and help balance out meals

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Found this thread. I lift 3-4 times a week. The endorphins are great. Genetics are against me. I'm never going to be huge, but I gained good mass and lost body fat over the last 3-4 months. So I've got a good shredded look going. Didn't work out most of last year because of injuries, but I'm probably in my best shape ever currently.

I mirror Allucks in my eating habits, except for the dairy part. Getting in shape is 75% eating habits.
Dude staying off all that stuff, like no bread in the apartment, no sugars, no soda or beer, low saturated fat - makes it so much easier to just stay in decent shape with no real outside effort

For me I just revolve around pushups and cardio mostly, but you'd be surprised what just a shit ton of different pushups can do for muscle definition haha

Pushups are also just convenient as hell - if, while cooking dinner, I feel guilty about not exercising as much as I wanted to that day or something I can always just drop and do 50 while waiting for something on the stove; I know it doesn't do much just doing that but hey it is something haha

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Anyway, they are called Shirtaki Noodles, low carb and low calorie, still taste pretty good and help balance out meals
Trader Joe's zucchini spaghetti is a good alternative too.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Trader Joe's zucchini spaghetti is a good alternative too.
Yah, actually have tried it and it is alright, but not my favorite because it almost tastes off when I try and mix it with stuff.

I like to do a bit more on the asian side of cooking, and the zucchini seemed kinda weird with that haha

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Chick-fil-A Has some good options to change it up...

• 4 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (70 calories, 2g fat, 1g carbs, 13g protein)
  • 8 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (140 calories, 3g fat, 3g carbs, 23g protein)
  • 12 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (210 calories, 5g fat, 6g carbs, 38g protein)

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I love them. Buy some Anthony's cheddar cheese powder (dirt cheap) and the Ziti shiritaki noodles and BAM. Keto friendly Kraft mac and cheese knock-off.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Chick-fil-A Has some good options to change it up...

• 4 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (70 calories, 2g fat, 1g carbs, 13g protein)
  • 8 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (140 calories, 3g fat, 3g carbs, 23g protein)
  • 12 pc Grilled Chicken Nuggets (210 calories, 5g fat, 6g carbs, 38g protein)
Oh man. Yes! Chick-Fil-A was my GO to when I used to travel around the Southeast.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad