Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I’m not worried about jumbos health. He’ll be fine but if some other freak injury occurs they will do what they did last year if none of the prospects step up. The team will be fine during the season if they lose Thornton for a length of time.

Im not worried about his ability to stay healthy, just more about his endurance over a full season. Maybe taking a few games off here and there for maintenance wouldn't be so bad

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Eklund is the Kardashian of hockey - never done a thing but for some reason is still inexplicably relevant.

Thornton is an ironman unless his ACL's are partially torn. I am not thinking he will pick up where he left off at 39 + 2 knee surgeries, but the notion he may miss 30 games is not well-grounded. We traded Boedker, so the probability of it happening again automatically reduced by ~50%.

And he didn’t have to make a sex tape to do it. Crazy world we live in.

Also, a writer that thinks the Sharks window is closing and they should just go for it

Sharks should still go bold after failing to land Tavares

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't know if Matthews would sign for another team, wasn't it reported he was trying to get Doughty to join the leafs?

That was before Tavares. Why would Matthews want to play 2nd fiddle to Tavares when he's the better player?

If Tavares was in his 30's, I could understand Matthews waiting. But he will not wait on pay next off-season. He'll top McDavid's $12.5M AAV contract simply because he'll sign several years later.

Probably the Leafs will want to pay him $12.5 to $13. Otherwise, they can head into Chicago land with trying to fit cap space with Marner and others.

If Matthews is another Jumbo, wants wrong with offer-sheeting $14M. Heck, if the press reports of offering $13M plus to Tavares, DW should do $15M.

Tavares was over-hyped. He's not a Crosby or Thornton type center. Half of his career is gone and he's not matched their 1st half performance.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I’m not worried about jumbos health. He’ll be fine but if some other freak injury occurs they will do what they did last year if none of the prospects step up. The team will be fine during the season if they lose Thornton for a length of time.

Hopefully the Sharks are not stupid not to work on contingency planning.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hopefully the Sharks are not stupid not to work on contingency planning.

In a cap league, there is only so much a team can do with limited resources. It has to be next man up and moving guys around to find something that works.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That was before Tavares. Why would Matthews want to play 2nd fiddle to Tavares when he's the better player?

If Tavares was in his 30's, I could understand Matthews waiting. But he will not wait on pay next off-season. He'll top McDavid's $12.5M AAV contract simply because he'll sign several years later.

Probably the Leafs will want to pay him $12.5 to $13. Otherwise, they can head into Chicago land with trying to fit cap space with Marner and others.

If Matthews is another Jumbo, wants wrong with offer-sheeting $14M. Heck, if the press reports of offering $13M plus to Tavares, DW should do $15M.

Tavares was over-hyped. He's not a Crosby or Thornton type center. Half of his career is gone and he's not matched their 1st half performance.

I'd love to see Arizona offersheet Matthews. I could see them do exactly that. They need somebody like Matthews if they wanna make a splash. Auston grew up as Yotes fan. Went to his first game as a 2 year old if I'm right and I know he went to watch some of their games before the draft when he was with Zurich. Would be a win win. OEL isn't bad but not a guy you can easily sell. Matthews would increase the value of the Coyotes franchise just by being under contract. They have tons of cap to spend and they could easily get most of the money back via clever marketing.

Last edited:

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Apparently according to the Athletic Marc Bergervin has told Max Pacioretty that he will not be resigning him and that he intends to trade Pacioretty before the season is done.

Sounds like a good-ole fashioned case of another dumb GM painting himself into a corner again with a player.

I'd bet DW is just waiting for the market to get a cold as possible and then swoop in once Bergervin can't get anyone to take him off his hands. It sounds like classic Doug Wilson.

Just to be clear before you try and flame me - I'm not necessarily advocating for DW to go and acquire Max Pacioretty, rather I am just trying to figure out what the plan is.

If I had to bet, they will take a run a Erik Karsslon, but not too hard. And they will also try and get Max as well.

I bet he gets one of those players by trade deadline.

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
There have been reports of Doug wilson in pursuit of Panarin as a rental. If DW pulls this off, whats the consensus on still being in the run for EK?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There have been reports of Doug wilson in pursuit of Panarin as a rental. If DW pulls this off, whats the consensus on still being in the run for EK?

Honestly, I think Panarin would be a better fit for the team (from a need perspective) than Karlsson would be. But yeah, the combined assets that both of them would cost would gut us. I think if we land one, the other is out.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
No problemo. Hertl+Meier clears cap easy peasy.

I wouldn't even consider that for one year of Panarin. We'd get him and open up additional holes for the 1 year he'll be here.

We have 9 top 9 forwards, including Joe Thornton, Evander Kane, and Joonas Donskoi, who will all likely miss time during the year. This also includes Chris Tierney who I believe to be out of his depth at 5 on 5.

Even worse will be next year when the forwards we have under contract would be Kane, Couture, Tierney, and Karlsson. Gambrell, Letunov, LaBanc, and Goodrow will be RFAs. Donskoi, Pavs, Jumbo, and Sorensen will be UFAs. Our farm system could potentially help with the bottom 6, but almost assuredly not the top 6.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I wouldn't even consider that for one year of Panarin. We'd get him and open up additional holes for the 1 year he'll be here.

We have 9 top 9 forwards, including Joe Thornton, Evander Kane, and Joonas Donskoi, who will all likely miss time during the year. This also includes Chris Tierney who I believe to be out of his depth at 5 on 5.

Even worse will be next year when the forwards we have under contract would be Kane, Couture, Tierney, and Karlsson. Gambrell, Letunov, LaBanc, and Goodrow will be RFAs. Donskoi, Pavs, Jumbo, and Sorensen will be UFAs. Our farm system could potentially help with the bottom 6, but almost assuredly not the top 6.

Definitely wouldn't do that for one year of Panarin but if we negotiate a contract extension with him in principle that would be fine with me. Panarin's probably a top ~15-20 player in the league and he's still only 26.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Definitely wouldn't do that for one year of Panarin but if we negotiate a contract extension with him in principle that would be fine with me. Panarin's probably a top ~15-20 player in the league and he's still only 26.

I agree. Panarin is the exact type of elite player we need, but the trade still has to make sense. We either need him signed long term, or not give up two of our most valuable long-term pieces,

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Jesus man, don’t be greedy lol. If you land either Panarin or EK65 it’s an A+ off-season assuming we don’t have to give up Timo for just one year of either

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree. Panarin is the exact type of elite player we need, but the trade still has to make sense. We either need him signed long term, or not give up two of our most valuable long-term pieces,

You do not trade for a player like that without being extremely confident that you can sign him. Even if you're not able to negotiate a contract with the player you surely talk to him before you trade for him.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
It could happen. Trade Labanc + Tierney. Labanc should take a step forward and Boedkers spot is up for grabs. We can say hey now, he's producing on the 2nd line, and Tierney should play well in the first half as 3C, and give them the two 2nd's on the condition he signs and save the 1st for Matthews offer sheet.

Last edited:

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
If we could negotiate an extension with Panarin, I think the cost (which I’d pay) would probably be Hertl or Meier, + Merkley or Roy, + a 1st round pick. Maybe more. Maybe an additional pick.

Personally I’d prefer to keep Hertl. I think he has more upside long term. I don’t care about the prospects or picks. Our drafting system doesn’t have a good history so if we get back an elite player weather it’s Panarin or Karlsson I’m more than happy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I generally do not think it is worth giving up that much for a winger.

It might be a different story if the Sharks had Tavares...then you are looking for the ultimate complementary winger and Panarin is definitely that.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
I don't want to mortgage any more of the future for one year of Panarin.

If he is willing to re-sign, no problem, he is an elite winger and would be worth the assets/cap it would cost at that point.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I generally do not think it is worth giving up that much for a winger.

It might be a different story if the Sharks had Tavares...then you are looking for the ultimate complementary winger and Panarin is definitely that.

In what way is Panarin a "complementary winger"? He scored 34 more points than Columbus' 2nd highest scoring forward last year. He nearly beat the Capitals by himself in the first round. Not every winger is complementary just on the basis of playing wing. Yes we could definitely use a center more than a winger but if you have a chance to add an elite talent like Panarin you do it no matter what position he plays.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I wouldn't give up Meier for a pure rental, let alone Meier+. Different story if he is willing to sign before making the trade, but I doubt that's realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->