Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
You said "He has notably declined since his 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons. It has been a steady trend of decline over the course of 4 seasons now and he has been injured in every one of the last 3 seasons". His career high in goals was last season and 2 of the 3 career highs in points were during the supposed decline period of notable decline. Also are you going to ignore his playoff performances?
Maybe talking AHL numbers.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With the Tierney re-signing we have 4.3M left in cap space. Not that much in itself but enough that we could easily take on Patches, Skinner, Faulk, etc. by moving one (or more) of Braun, Karlsson, Tierney, etc.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With the Tierney re-signing we have 4.3M left in cap space. Not that much in itself but enough that we could easily take on Patches, Skinner, Faulk, etc. by moving one (or more) of Braun, Karlsson, Tierney, etc.

If you take Letunov off the NHL squad, it becomes $5.2M with a 22 man roster with Goodrow as the extra forward and Heed as the extra defenseman.

It still feels like we have way too many forwards. Given their ages and European league scoring rates, both of Suomela and Radil should be on the roster for opening night. I feel like we still need to make a move.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I absolutely think we should make another move and we definitely could still cap wise. Do I think we will? Nope. I think DW is fine going in with his guys. Hope I'm wrong, but I see us adding a piece at the deadline and losing in the 2nd round...again.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If you take Letunov off the NHL squad, it becomes $5.2M with a 22 man roster with Goodrow as the extra forward and Heed as the extra defenseman.

It still feels like we have way too many forwards. Given their ages and European league scoring rates, both of Suomela and Radil should be on the roster for opening night. I feel like we still need to make a move.
Realistically, Gambrell is in the AHL and Karlsson gets traded then you cycle through Sorensen, Suomela, Radil, Goodrow, and maybe Praplan. That would clear up the bottom 6 overcrowding. I think we do see a trade going forward because capfriendly also says that we're at the 50 contract limit.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I don't get why we should be worried, the team as of right now can put up points in the pacific. DW is waiting for another homerun trade like he did in the last play of the 9th inning before the trade deadline. If we want to transition we cant make trades at desperate times. Teams are probably trying to take advantage of us not getting Tavares, its not happening with Doug hes too damn patient!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't get why we should be worried, the team as of right now can put up points in the pacific. DW is waiting for another homerun trade like he did in the last play of the 9th inning before the trade deadline. If we want to transition we cant make trades at desperate times. Teams are probably trying to take advantage of us not getting Tavares, its not happening with Doug hes too damn patient!
Yes they can put up points. We have always been able to do that. That really doesn't matter if we are a first round exit team.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I think DW is biding his time.. Start the year with current personnel, then look to pull the trigger around xmas time..
See how some of the youngsters fill in. Try some line combos.. We have a few players that can be moved in a pinch, so let the first month and a half be trial by fire with some rookies. The division wont be won/lost by Dec.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I don't know about no chance. I think it had more to do with DeBoer holding onto the 16 cup run electing Martin over Ryan. Great adjustment in game 2, but Vegas wont be as big of a snowball next year. Take advantage of the slower southern Californian teams and womp on the inexperienced Canadian teams. I think another cup final is in order.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Bowed out in the 2nd round to a team that really wasnt very great. Better than a 1st round exit, but still had no real chance at a cup.

Lost in 6 to a team that was just really not very great enough make it to the SCF. And without our #1C to boot.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I am not sure what that means. The Stanely Cup is usually won by teams that make it to the finals.

Yeah, you’re right. There isn’t a major difference between teams that make the SCF and teams that win it. Let’s model our team after the 2012 New Jersey Devils.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's a lot of overly simplistic points being made lately. For me, this team may have missed out on a #1 center but I have confidence that at least for next year Thornton will suffice in the role so I'm going to go look at the other spots on this roster that could be addressed to make this team as competitive as possible next season within reason. I think that at this point, it means only acquiring someone like Faulk and improving on what DeMelo brought. I think everything else is workable to go into next season with and if it fails can be addressed at the deadline. The players I think that are at risk for a fall-off is really just Labanc up front and I assume Ryan on defense assuming Faulk is acquired to push DeMelo out of the lineup. If DeMelo isn't pushed out of the lineup, he is absolutely a risk for a fall-off.

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Couture-Hertl-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Donskoi
Sorensen/Radil-Suomela/Praplan/Gambrell/Letunov-Goodrow/Karlsson

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-DeMelo/acquisition

Jones-Dell

That's probably our lineup right now. It's a playoff team most likely but not a 4 round team unless they get some luck with health and some great years out of certain guys.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm just curious, what is the definition of a 1C in your minds? Obviously, there aren't 31 1Cs in the league, but I just want to know what you folks think.
I think of a guy who can dominate the play in every zone like Hertl and score like Couture/Pavelski on a regular and consistent basis.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I'm just curious, what is the definition of a 1C in your minds? Obviously, there aren't 31 1Cs in the league, but I just want to know what you folks think.

In my totally subjective view I'd say there are around 15-20 1Cs. McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Bergeron, Tavares, Mackinnon, Barkov, Seguin, Scheifele, Stamkos, Giroux (when he's playing center), Getzlaf, Matthews, Eichel, Kuznetsov and Backstrom. That's 17. Throw in Barzal if he's able to have a half-decent season this year and maybe Toews bounces back to a legit 1C level. There are definitely fewer than 31 but not that many fewer. They're just unevenly distributed across the league.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There's a lot of overly simplistic points being made lately. For me, this team may have missed out on a #1 center but I have confidence that at least for next year Thornton will suffice in the role so I'm going to go look at the other spots on this roster that could be addressed to make this team as competitive as possible next season within reason. I think that at this point, it means only acquiring someone like Faulk and improving on what DeMelo brought. I think everything else is workable to go into next season with and if it fails can be addressed at the deadline. The players I think that are at risk for a fall-off is really just Labanc up front and I assume Ryan on defense assuming Faulk is acquired to push DeMelo out of the lineup. If DeMelo isn't pushed out of the lineup, he is absolutely a risk for a fall-off.

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Couture-Hertl-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Donskoi
Sorensen/Radil-Suomela/Praplan/Gambrell/Letunov-Goodrow/Karlsson

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-DeMelo/acquisition

Jones-Dell

That's probably our lineup right now. It's a playoff team most likely but not a 4 round team unless they get some luck with health and some great years out of certain guys.

I agree with the bolded. Another thing that could help a long run is if we get really lucky and two of Radil, Gambrell, Praplan, Letunov exceed expectations and play more like middle-6 forwards than 4th line forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->