Summer 2018 pre-seaon friendlies/tournaments.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pretty good showing from the Arsenal in the preseason, just have one loss against Atletico where the goalkeeper freakishly stopped three penalties in a row. I am not expecting title since the defencive issues are still quite present, but I don't think its wrong to say that we can beat a declining Chelsea squad or an average Spurs squad to a CL spot.
Chelsea maybe but Spurs I take over Arsenal. Spurs might not have the depth that some of the top squads have but they still have one of the best 11s in the league. Would really only take City for sure over and Liverpool is probably about equal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Chelsea maybe but Spurs I take over Arsenal. Spurs might not have the depth that some of the top squads have but they still have one of the best 11s in the league. Would really only take City for sure over and Liverpool is probably about equal.
It's been atrocious today (HFB). The one wildcard is how much can Sarri get from that Chelsea squad because on paper they look pretty brutal besides Hazard, Jorginho, and Kante. Spurs are definitely as consistent as teams come by, but they've never shown to take the next step and bought absolutely no one in the transfer window. Plus you gotta kind of consider how many prime years Lloris can grab under his belt, he's still a great goalkeeper who IMO has shown some signs in slowing down.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Chelsea is keeping their best players and getting Jorginho, they’ve got a real chance of getting back in the CL. There’s still some time before all that is settled though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Same. Jorginho is a major impact player. Just Jorginho is the difference between Napoli challenging for the Scudetto and being with the other teams, I think.
Sure, but Kante is probably the best #6 in the world and Chelsea didn't get anywhere with him. Goals win championships and titles and after Liverpool you can argue that Arsenal have the best offencive weapons with Ozil, Auba, Mkhi, and Laca (Man City is a better built team).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sure, but Kante is probably the best #6 in the world and Chelsea didn't get anywhere with him. Goals win championships and titles and after Liverpool you can argue that Arsenal have the best offencive weapons with Ozil, Auba, Mkhi, and Laca (Man City is a better built team).
They didn't get anywhere with Kante? Chelsea won the title his first season there and he won player of the year...

Reactions: bleedblue1223

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Sorry mate, but City have better offensive weapons than you. De Bruyne, Aguero, Jesus, Sane, Silva, Mahrez and Sterling. I'm not arguing more either, I'm arguing better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Three of those four Arsenal players are also woefully out of form.

Two of them look like they hardly care at times.

One of them looks old.

Dynamic they are not.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ozil and Auba are still world class, and I can't believe we're still seeing references to the guys body language to knock him. Lacazette had a streaky year last year, but we'll see. Mkhi I'm the least confident in at the moment, but he finished last year pretty strong as well.

Reactions: All Might

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Pretty good showing from the Arsenal in the preseason, just have one loss against Atletico where the goalkeeper freakishly stopped three penalties in a row. I am not expecting title since the defencive issues are still quite present, but I don't think its wrong to say that we can beat a declining Chelsea squad or an average Spurs squad to a CL spot.

I am not sure why Spurs are an "average" squad but I guess anything is possible so sure Arsenal could beat either of them but I think it would be a pretty big surprise for them to finish ahead of either and pretty big shock for them finishing ahead of both of them. I think Arsenal is clearly less talented than both even with Spurs taking the transfer window off for some reason this year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Easy answer, Marcos Alonso. Lemina and Pogba. Ighalo. There's not many transfers between those leagues. Even players like Morata who busted took a stop in another league first.

Practically zero good midfielders transfer between Serie A and England. Torreira and Jorginho should be good. They play so similarly that either both will be good or both will fail. It is difficult to see it going differently.

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Easy answer, Marcos Alonso. Lemina and Pogba. Ighalo. There's not many transfers between those leagues. Even players like Morata who busted took a stop in another league first.

Practically zero good midfielders transfer between Serie A and England. Torreira and Jorginho should be good. They play so similarly that either both will be good or both will fail.

Alonso, Pogba, and even Salah had previous EPL experience.

Then you have the flops like Balotelli, Cuadrado, Damian, Gabbiadini, etc.

Just saying it's early to proclaim Jorginho as being the main reason Chelsea will leapfrog into the top 4.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Alonso, Pogba, and even Salah had previous EPL experience.

Then you have the flops like Balotelli, Cuadrado, Damian, Gabbiadini, etc.

Just saying it's early to proclaim Jorginho as being the main reason Chelsea will leapfrog into the top 4.

They also have a good coach who plays attacking football for once. Jorginho is only one piece of the puzzle. They were seven points behind Tottenham and added players while they didn't, it isn't much of a leapfrog.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I take Chelsea over Spurs and Arsenal this season.
Problem will be with Sarri not having many of his type of players. If Kante goes down, we are in trouble because Cesc and Jorginho will be greatly exposed with lack of speed, and the gaps created between midfield and defense. Our full-backs really are that dynamic moving forward, Alonso has to choose between staying back defensively or being aggressive because he lacks speed to move up and down, he's definitely more of a wing-back in a back 3 because it's more about stamina than actual speed.

Going from Jose and Conte systems to Sarri will be more difficult than some think IMO.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Lethal attacking. We will score loads of goals, the question is how man we will receive.. but that's nothing new :laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wijnaldum!

Also this should be our first XI midfield and forwards. Add in Lovren and Robertson for the backline.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lethal attacking. We will score loads of goals, the question is how man we will receive.. but that's nothing new :laugh:

I suspect many less. Two better midfielders + full season of van Dijk + Alisson

Phillips was badly beaten there but not like he'll play real games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad