Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Perhaps it was more his lack of aggressiveness. Heck , Gorten was much more active on social media , then Richards . Never felt either of their hearts we in what they were doing though

That's pretty classless, man.

He was battling several sprained fingers throughout the year. Possible 2nd degree burn on his right middle finger from grilling way back in January affected much of his year. He's gotten better EVERY ARTICLE!!

And everything they've said or shown makes me believe they want to be here.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So now that training camp is almost upon us, anyone thinking Rick Nash is leaning towards hanging it up? I’ve not heard or read anything about him signing anywhere and I’ve not even heard about him being seen around town or training anywhere since he still has a home here. It makes me think he’s done and ready for the next chapter.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Perhaps it was more his lack of aggressiveness. Heck , Gorten was much more active on social media , then Richards . Never felt either of their hearts we in what they were doing though

I could be wrong but I think both of those guys lost their jobs with the Florida paper they worked for and it sounds like they took the Dispatch gig just so they wouldn’t be unemployed until something better came along.

But you’re right, Richards especially was MIA for large swaths of time, I think he actually missed his first month on the job because of a spider bite or some stupid shit

Reactions: CPTN71

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
You have to wonder if it's sustainable. (No Jackets win-streak or PP percentage jokes, please.) I think there's no requirement to be on the road, as opposed to a traditional beat writer. I'm not 100% sure of that but I seem to recall there was on-record talk of that WRT Portzline.
There's no chance it's sustainable, at least not at this level. All their funding comes from Silicon Valley venture capital. The business model of all those companies (Uber, Snapchat, Theranos, etc.) is to basically ignore short-term profitability in hopes of one day being the only game in town and making a killing. In ten years, The Athletic will have a stranglehold on all third-party sportswriting, or it'll be the 21st-century's National Sports Daily. If I were betting, my money would be on the latter, but you never know.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There's no chance it's sustainable, at least not at this level. All their funding comes from Silicon Valley venture capital. The business model of all those companies (Uber, Snapchat, Theranos, etc.) is to basically ignore short-term profitability in hopes of one day being the only game in town and making a killing. In ten years, The Athletic will have a stranglehold on all third-party sportswriting, or it'll be the 21st-century's National Sports Daily. If I were betting, my money would be on the latter, but you never know.

If they get enough subscribers, it works. Sportswriting is obviously going to have to depend on the subscriber model. You can't pay people off of advertising revenue anymore.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jackets signed a new player..
Screenshot_20180915-080145_Instagram.jpg

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Katt Williams/Chapelle > Carlin/Bill Hicks > Rogan/Hart

Harrington "set" as the 6-7?
Carlin-Robin Williams has to be the top pair, forever and always. Chapelle can't play in the modern game with his dirty "play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad