Speculation: Summer 2018 General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"Playoff Bob" is deserved.

It absolutely is not. Bob has yet to prove his worth in the playoffs, but he had the best 5v5 sv% against the Caps of the four goalies to face them (the others being Matt Murray, Andrei Vasilevsky, and Marc-Andre Fleury).

Everyone talked about how great Fleury was but they wouldn't be saying that if he only played the Caps, and they wouldn't be saying that if his team took penalties like the Jackets did. The Jackets took about as many penalties in that one round as the Knights took in four rounds.

Bob doesn't deserve that.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
34 y.o Flower got 3 years at 7M. So 30 y.o Bob will ask for 7 years?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It absolutely is not. Bob has yet to prove his worth in the playoffs, but he had the best 5v5 sv% against the Caps of the four goalies to face them (the others being Matt Murray, Andrei Vasilevsky, and Marc-Andre Fleury).

Everyone talked about how great Fleury was but they wouldn't be saying that if he only played the Caps, and they wouldn't be saying that if his team took penalties like the Jackets did. The Jackets took about as many penalties in that one round as the Knights took in four rounds.

Bob doesn't deserve that.
I wasn't one series. He's 5-14 with 3.49GAA and 89.1% Save Percentage in the playoffs. If you believe in quality starts he's at a 25% success rate.
It's up to Bob to prove himself to be a playoff goalie. Doesn't mean he can't be just shows in past he hasn't been.

I'm concerned with the team now. Our elite forward may be on his way out. Front office needs to decide whether they want to pay Bob $9M+ for multiple years. Right now the only way this team can win is with Bob being good, but paying a goalie that much limits our ability to sign elite players (assuming they would even want to be here). Do you let Bob go and try building another way or do you go all in on Bob and hope he can play well in the playoffs? Really tough decision, that will be criticized either way.

Reactions: The Bread Man

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bob's playoff performance is not all on him. The team has to share part of the blame for his stats. Major has pointed out how is stats 5v5 were the best of all playoff goalies other than Holtby ( I think) and that he was subjected to numerous power plays and 2 on 1's. He let in some softies but all goalies do that.

Right now he is the only proven NHL level starting goalie the Jackets have. Hopefully he is signed at a reasonable hit (no more than 9 mill) for no more than 5 years.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Bob's playoff performance is not all on him. The team has to share part of the blame for his stats. Major has pointed out how is stats 5v5 were the best of all playoff goalies other than Holtby ( I think) and that he was subjected to numerous power plays and 2 on 1's. He let in some softies but all goalies do that.

Right now he is the only proven NHL level starting goalie the Jackets have. Hopefully he is signed at a reasonable hit (no more than 9 mill) for no more than 5 years.
Not to mention a seriously disproportionate amount of deflection goals in that series.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Nine mission should be reserved for goaltenders that have under a 3.0 GAA in the playoffs totalling more than 20 games. Of course the team plays a part in this, but that will be a massive commitment in both dollars and terms. Bob has shown, in the past, that he is subject to bouts of confidence problems.

We are all entitled to our opinion, I just wonder how many would still be so gung ho if we had another goalie ready to go.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Almost as if they knew a weakness and capitalized on it...…
Last I counted, 7 of their 17 goals (through game 5) were deflection goals, and 5/9 of their even strength goals were. Even if they were exploiting a weakness, those numbers show an absolute shitload of luck. 7/17 and 5/9 is a ridiculous percentage.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
"Playoff Bob" was fair, IMO, except for this year. I don't really recall any soft goals like I do with last year or 2014's playoff run. We had a ton of penalties. Washington even almost doubled our shot output in Game 2 (a game we won) and Bob carried the game even though he gave up 4 goals. We had no business winning in game 2 or game 6, yet we won game 2 because of Bob and Grubauer. He was very good this year.

If he leaves, I wouldn't discount him having a great playoff run elsewhere.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nine mission should be reserved for goaltenders that have under a 3.0 GAA in the playoffs totalling more than 20 games. Of course the team plays a part in this, but that will be a massive commitment in both dollars and terms. Bob has shown, in the past, that he is subject to bouts of confidence problems.

We are all entitled to our opinion, I just wonder how many would still be so gung ho if we had another goalie ready to go.

If we had a Vasilevsky it'd be don't let the door hit you...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If we had a Vasilevsky it'd be don't let the door hit you...

Pretty much what I thought. I tend to think this has less to do with Bob than what I've been saying all along; the FO hasn't given themselves options.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You for real ? Panarin had 8 points in 11 playoff games with Chicago. Thats poor in the playoffs :laugh: . Contrast with 5-14 3.49 gaa .891 save percentage , never allowing less than 3 goals in a playoff game.
Congratulations, you're able to see why it was stupid. He had the reputation all the same.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This should make some people happy...

Screenshot_20180716-122033_Instagram.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This should make some people happy...

In my opinion we shouldn't further the expectation that fans can demand workout pics from players. Bogosian just got super pissed when fans asked for proof of him working out, which I can understand. C'mon guys, these are pros! If guys don't workout in the summer it makes the news (e.g. Zibanejad). Teams monitor this stuff and have ways of keeping players accountable. It's not our job as fans to interrogate them.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I might be trying to hit a hole in one playing golf. Glad to know that if I get one, there was zero luck involved.

Do you not see how it would be a little ridiculous to compare an amateur golfer getting a 'hole in 1' and NHLers scoring tip in/deflection goals?

Bob (IMO) has significant issues seeing through screens/picking up the puck through traffic.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In my opinion we shouldn't further the expectation that fans can demand workout pics from players. Bogosian just got super pissed when fans asked for proof of him working out, which I can understand. C'mon guys, these are pros! If guys don't workout in the summer it makes the news (e.g. Zibanejad). Teams monitor this stuff and have ways of keeping players accountable. It's not our job as fans to interrogate them.
I honestly don't care what he posts on social media, I just did it because someone here made a big deal about him not working out because he didn't share anything on social media except vacation pics.

This is Forsberg, why he shoud make me happy!!!? :D
I guess Wennbergs in good enough shape he can go to the gym, drink energy drinks and not work out :sarcasm:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I still think we need to pick up a bottom pairing defenseman. I think a Hamhuis or Enstrom could be had for an affordable 1 year contract.

I've posted this before, but our D could look like this opening night if Werenski isn't healthy.

Murray-Jones
Nutivaara-Savard
Harrington-Kukan
Cross, Simpson, Carlsson

This isn't inspiring confidence at all. I feel much better with Kukan, Harrington, and the others fighting for one spot, not two.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Harrington is bad. Like really not good at all. I have hope for Kukan, I think he’s solid. Harrington isn’t, and probably doesn’t have much growth left.
Which reaffirms CBJWennberg's post. I agree about getting a veteran third pair dman with some playoff experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad