Summer 2017 Transfers & Rumors Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2009
So according to L'Equipe Seri's 40M release clause expired on July 15 and now if Barca wants him they'll have to pay Nice's asking price. lol.

How much is Messi's release clause currently set at?

I thought the release clause was more of a gentlemen's agreement because buyout clauses are not allowed in France.

But I'm just guessing so I have no idea.

Do teams often make variable fees super outlandish?

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He wouldn't start for any of the top 7 teams in the PL for example.

I disagree. We can only speculate on managers' respective selection, but I can see him starting at a couple of those clubs.

Unless they're paying the release clause, it's not happening.

Even then there is no guarantee. Messi would actually have to want to leave.

I could see City paying it. Especially given who its owners are, who PSG's owners are, and the political climate.

They would simply pay it because they have the money.

barca is nothing without messi and neymar

:facepalm:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh, and for the record based on what I've seen of Sanchez I don't think he's a bad passer. Not great either, but he's more than fine.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like the Transfer of Dembele to Barca is very questionable. Watzke just said in a German football show that the offer of Barcelona is much lower as the asking price. Dortmund will not go lower. He said too a few weeks ago he thought Barcelona is a big Club.

As far as I'm concerned, he can go, as long as Barcelona meets the asking price.

Ball movement looked better yesterday than any time last year. I wonder why. :laugh:

If we get this level of football from Pulisic on a regular basis, we don't need Dembele. And I don't know why we wouldn't, he's been improving at a good rate, and seems to be taking off this season. We also have Reus coming back in January. Philipp and Mor/Schurrle can fill the other spot until January. It also allows us to play more of a passing game centrally, and not be so reliant on 1v1 work from Dembele. If Goetze can stay fit, he'll add another really important attacking element to the team.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Gonna disagree on Saturday's performance compared to last year.

They still need Dembele or another creator in the final third.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Unless they're paying the release clause, it's not happening.

Can they really afford to pay it after their other spending this summer? Although I suppose that only matters if FFP has even tiny teeth, and based on PSG theoretically going after Mbappe, I don't think that's true anymore.

Actually Barca could lose him for 0 next summer. In truth, that means Barca would be better off negociating if Messi's set on leaving (which we don't know). Barca would be better off getting 150M now than nothing next summer.

I thought the release clause was more of a gentlemen's agreement because buyout clauses are not allowed in France.
It is a verbal agreement.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
L'Equipe reports Seri has agreed on a contract with Nice. Barca will now negociate with Nice (lol, probably the hardest part since they must reach a whopping 40M number).

They also report that the agreement (about the 40M) was finished a month ago. But I don't think Nice will retain Seri.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He can leave next summer on a free and ask for even bigger wages though if he's so inclined.

That's assuming it's true that he really didn't sign the new contract in July. I've read articles claiming his agents are in talks with City that are working under the assumption that the new contract was signed.. It's hard to know what to believe anymore

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Hannover is reportedly bringing in Jonathas from Rubin Kazan for a medical. He's good in Russia, don't know how good he would be in the Bundesliga.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Brighton sign striker Raphael Dwamena from FC Zurich.

For a club that needs goals, he has 14 in 18 matches for Zurich and 2 in 3 matches for Ghana.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
According to Matt Law:

Tottenham are preparing a 20m pound bid for Barkley, with 8m in possible add-ins. Chelsea remain interested and their interest is not dependent on how their pursuit of Drinkwater goes.

Chelsea told Southampton that they remain interested in Van Dijk, but that they won't bid unless Southampton decides to sell. They are hoping this process will give them an advantage over Liverpool if they decide to sell.

Chelsea will possibly make 1 more effort for Alex Sandro.

Chelsea are considering to go after a striker, with Belotti, Llorente, Benteke, and Vardy named.

Chelsea remain in talks for Drinkwater, Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Cedric Soares.

Inter is bracing for a Chelsea bid for Candreva.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Adding Vardy and van Dijk would make Chelsea a particularly likeable team.

Also, thankfully:

According to Pearce, the Reds have no interest in signing PSG’s out-of-favour forward Julian Draxler despite previously pushing for a move for the German.

“Draxler turned down the Reds when he left Wolfsburg and signed for PSG instead in January,” he writes.

“Liverpool have no intention of going back in for him as that isn’t an area of the squad Klopp is looking to strengthen.”

This comes after the Times‘ Paul Joyce suggested Dominic Solanke’s impressive start to life as the Reds’ No. 29 has provided Klopp with another solution.

Hopefully we're looking at a midfielder and a defender. That's really all we need for now. Coutinho is staying but who knows what'll happen there; personally don't care if he never plays for us again.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
~10 days left in the window and I don't understand Klopp

According to Pearce, Klopp is done looking at forwards (Draxler not happening) and may look at center mid only. Also is still waiting for a VVD reversal, but is happy to go into the season with his current pool of Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez. Which is insanity.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez is actually not that bad if they can't get van Dijk. No point in buying another Klavan when we have that depth atm. The main defensive issue for our team isn't necessarily player oriented and it's important to allow defenders to bed in and become comfortable in a system and a pairing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez is actually not that bad if they can't get van Dijk. No point in buying another Klavan when we have that depth atm. The main defensive issue for our team isn't necessarily player oriented and it's important to allow defenders to bed in and become comfortable in a system and a pairing.

Sure, but there's still a quality issue if they want to win the title.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
We may disagree but I would hardly call four CBs depth for four competitions.

I don't think that is their realistic goal for this season. IMO the goal should be top four and maybe to win one of the domestic cup competitions.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Is it though?

The main issue last season was when one of Lovren or Matip was injured. Again, look at how many goals they gave up against the top teams. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think we lost maybe 2 games total when both Lovren and Matip played? I also think Gomez will provide a better option than Klavan as a 3rd CB so should alleviate some of the pain of having one of the main two out.

A quick google showed this:

4 clean sheets in the last 5 from Lovren - Matip. 1 defeat with them together in 25 matches. Conceding .8 goals per game. Howdy partnership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad