Summer 2017 Transfers & Rumors Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Didn't they just buy Sissoko? Janssen? Soldado? Paulinho Etc. What does that have to do with me asking you to give me an assessment of the two players abd how you feel they stack up when you find my opinion, of two players I've watched a lot of, 'wowing'?

I'm genuinely curious. If you think Sanchez is better what do you think makes him better?

I didn't know you watched Gomez at Charlton. Or maybe you watched a lot of him rehabilitating his injury for the 1st year at Liverpool.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Didn't they just buy Sissoko? Janssen? Soldado? Paulinho Etc. What does that have to do with me asking you to give me an assessment of the two players abd how you feel they stack up when you find my opinion, of two players I've watched a lot of, 'wowing'?

I'm genuinely curious. If you think Sanchez is better what do you think makes him better?

I'll admit that I have had a limited viewing of Sanchez, and even more so of Gomez (no wonder). But to me Sanchez should be superior in pretty much every defensive aspect of the game. He would have made far more of an impact on the Liverpool defence last season than a healthy Gomez would have. Feel free to give me an example of how you think Gomez is better than Sanchez.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'll admit that I have had a limited viewing of Sanchez, and even more so of Gomez (no wonder). But to me Sanchez should be superior in pretty much every defensive aspect of the game. He would have made far more of an impact on the Liverpool defence last season than a healthy Gomez would have. Feel free to give me an example of how you think Gomez is better than Sanchez.

So you've seen very little of both so why would you assume this? Gomez for example at the age of 18 was excelling as a fullback in the PL before his injury. He's even better suited to CB. I'm on mobile atm but when I have a chance I'll fully answer you. Though the gist is that Gomez has all the physical tools, is very calm and measured, and is much better on the ball. Sanchez is more aggressive which may or may not serve him well moving forward but Gomez is just better all around and has plenty room for improvement. He's also a year younger despite his physical stature.

So no, I would have taken a healthy Gomez over Sanchez for us.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
So you've seen very little of both so why would you assume this? Gomez for example at the age of 18 was excelling as a fullback in the PL before his injury. He's even better suited to CB. I'm on mobile atm but when I have a chance I'll fully answer you. Though the gist is that Gomez has all the physical tools, is very calm and measured, and is much better on the ball. Sanchez is more aggressive which may or may not serve him well moving forward but Gomez is just better all around and has plenty room for improvement. He's also a year younger despite his physical stature.

So no, I would have taken a healthy Gomez over Sanchez for us.

So you got all that from watching the whole 6 games that Gomez played?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So you got all that from watching the whole 6 games that Gomez played?

I try not to respond to trolls anymore but I've watched every game he's played for Liverpool and the reserve team as well as any footage I could find of him when he was signed for Liverpool.

Excited for the game next weekend. Tell me more about how much Arsenal has improved this window; what should I be expecting from the game?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I try not to respond to trolls anymore but I've watched every game he's played for Liverpool and the reserve team as well as any footage I could find of him when he was signed for Liverpool.

Excited for the game next weekend. Tell me more about how much Arsenal has improved this window; what should I be expecting from the game?

You're comparing how a player played in the reserve league to a player that played in the Eredivise and the Europa League?

Arsenal made as much signings as Liverpool. But you bet I will troll the **** outta you if Arsenal wins especially considering you think Liverpool has the best attack, better left back, top 5 midfielder and they will easily finish top 4 while Arsenal fights with Everton for 6th.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So you have nothing meaningful to add as usual (and to add saying things I've never said...why do people keep doing that I wonder? It's all verifiable). Hope you enjoy the game next weekend. :)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I´m not going to say Gomez can´t be that good. Some years ago one could have had the same discussion with Kane. Who knows how players will develop - and Gomez certainly seems like a good talent.

What I don´t get then, if he is THAT good, why Liverpool are that eager to spend that much money on van Dijk? Liverpool don´t have endless amount of money and they could certainly spend that elsewhere if they got Matip and Gomez as CDs.

That doesn´t prove that Gomez isn´t that good of course, but it seems a bit odd.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wow, they just found a video of Seri from 2015 where he said he dreamt of playing for Barca...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And again, how many realize it?
You certainly didn't :D

If you can't see how amazing it is that an african footballer signing with Nice from a little portugese team for a whopping 1M can say "my dream is to play for Barca" and then two years later, actually doing it, then more power to you.

Last edited:

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Looks like the Transfer of Dembele to Barca is very questionable. Watzke just said in a German football show that the offer of Barcelona is much lower as the asking price. Dortmund will not go lower. He said too a few weeks ago he thought Barcelona is a big Club.

Mar 1, 2002
Weaknesses
- Can't do much with his left foot.
- Looks very nervous and uncomfortable once he has the ball.
- No offensive game whatsoever. Can't build up.
- While strong in the air, he isn't much of a set piece threat.
- Acceleration and mobility is poor. Though I think the latter is improving.
- Not very versatile. He's a man to man CB and shouldn't play anywhere else.

There is no CB in the world with this scouting report that would be sold for a dollar, much less 50 million of them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would be more useful if you argued against the points made instead of ridiculing his/her opinions.

Jul 7, 2009
Watzke (CEO, Borussia Dortmund): "I'm 100% sure Dembélé wouldn't have done this for any other club in the world. He has an affinity for Barcelona."

Watzke: "Dembélé refused to do his work. We met Thursday, but noticed quickly our ideas are wide apart. Suddenly Friday he doesn't show up"

Watzke: "There are only 2 possibilities: We have a claim, if Barça fulfill it soon, he can go. If they don't pay, he remains our player."

Watzke: "Dembélé is Barça's option No. 1 in this position. They don't have a No. 1B or No. 1C option. They know he's an excellent player."

He also most nobility said that the rumoured fee going around the press is not correct.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Someone clearly likes Sanchez (written by an Ajax-fan). Funny how divided fans seem to be on his ability on the ball.

My heart hurts.

To paraphrase Selena Gomez, “I love you like a love song, Davy.” It was only a year, but what a special year it was. Your stunning athleticism, remarkable pace, enchanting dance moves, commanding presence and thumping headers make it hard to say goodbye. Red and white suited you, #5. You solidified our defence, formed a mouth-watering partnership with Matthijs de Ligt, brought us to a European final, won over my heart with your captivating smile and, most importantly, gave me reason to believe – to believe in the future, believe in loyalty, and believe world class defending is not a thing of the past. You reinvigorated my passion, and now you are leaving.

But you must know, I am not blaming you. This is not your fault. Champions League football has eluded us once again, and Marc Overmars has shown no ambition to take us to the next level – he’s never received a transfer offer he didn’t like. Next time you come to the ArenA, you will find your locker cleaned out and nametag replaced. You are nothing but a memory, but I will never forget you – never forget our year together. I will always remember the good times, and there were a lot of them. This is a letter I hoped I would never have to write.

You came, you danced, and now you have to leave. You brought great pride to Amsterdam, but I am forced to say goodbye. I wish there was another way. Bedankt. Tot ziens. Veel succes.

Davinson Sanchez arrived in Amsterdam for five-million Euros last summer, shortly before winning the Copa Libertadores with Colombian outfit Atletico Nacional – just the second in club history – and now he departs for around eight times the fee paid by Overmars. There’s no denying it’s a terrific return on their investment. A sale in the region of 45-million Euros (including add-ons) is an Ajax and Eredivisie record, surpassing the 34 million Manchester United spent to buy Memphis Depay. It’s a higher fee than was paid for the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wesley Sneijder, Klaas-jan Huntelaar, Luis Suarez, Arjen Robben, Dirk Kuyt, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Christian Eriksen and so many others. So why do Ajax supporters feel their club has been swindled? Watch him play and the answer will be obvious. They unearthed a star.

A physical specimen, he is virtually unbeatable in the air, as evidenced by the six goals he scored in his first – and only – Eredivisie season, tied for the league lead amongst defenders with PSV’s Hector Moreno, bought by Roma earlier this summer. Sanchez started 32 of 34 Eredivisie matches last term, missing only their first game due to the timing of his arrival, and their penultimate league clash as he was rested for a midweek European tie. Speaking of the Europa League, he played a crucial role in guiding Ajax to their first European final since 1996, playing every minute of the knockout stage (minus one match missed due to suspension), helping them to three clean sheets.

Sanchez completed just under 90 per cent of his passes last season (88.9), the third-best mark in the Eredivisie, and his average of 70.9 completed passes per match is better than that of any Tottenham centre-half last season – and it’s not just the competition he was up against. In the Europa League, many of Sanchez’s numbers saw drastic increases. His total tackles per match almost doubled, and his average completed dribbles, interceptions and key passes were higher.

Of course, numbers do not tell the whole story, of course. The Colombian centre-half is a stalwart in defence. Built like a mountain, Sanchez has every tool to become a world class defender. Those who have watched him over the course of the last year might argue he’s already flirting with the label. At the ripe age of 21, he plays well beyond his years. Aggressive in his approach, Sanchez mimics a concrete wall in the centre of defence and has become famous for the impeccable timing of his last-ditch challenges.

He is a ferocious footballer, blending a unique combination of power and grace. He makes a hobby of bullying opposing attackers and possesses impressive skill on the ball, a claim which can only be made by a small percentage of centre-backs in the game today. Comfortable as the last line of defence, Sanchez has also been known to embark on mesmerising runs into attack, reminiscent of Italian legend Alessandro Nesta on occasion, and has the athletic ability to recover his position. His darting forays through midfield help to alleviate congestion, drive play forward and disrupt the opposition’s shape.

A former defensive midfielder, Sanchez is incredibly comfortable in his distribution. Be it deep in his own end or up inside the halfway line, he thrives in picking out a pass, and has shown an innate ability to kick-start quick attacks with precise balls over the top.

Sanchez is a five-tool defender who is well on his way to becoming one of the best at his position: physicality, tackling, aerial ability, reading of the game and ball skills. High, but deserved, praise for the 21-year-old who, in his first taste of European football in 2016/17, guided Ajax to the Europa League final en route to winning the Rinus Michels award as their player of the season – just the second to win the award in their first season with the club, along with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar in 2006.

At White Hart Lane, Sanchez should slot right into the centre of defence. He has limited versatility, and while Mauricio Pochettino could experiment with him at right-back, it would not be in anyone’s best interests to remove him from the role he has exceedingly flourished in.

The best option, however, would be to adopt the 3-4-2-1 that Pochettino dabbled in last season. In their 10 matches with a three-man back line, Spurs went unbeaten, winning eight. That would ensure Sanchez, Vertonghen and Alderweireld remain in their natural position – a formidable back line that could arguably be considered one of the best in Europe. Whatever Tottenham’s plans for him are, Sanchez will play first-team minutes at the Lane, and it could be just a matter of a year or two until Barcelona swoop in to steal him away. The Blaugrana have been tracking him for a couple of years now, and tried hard to lure him over to Camp Nou in summer 2016, but lost out as Sanchez wanted to be a regular starter. You can see why. One year later and the Colombian has earned himself a major payday.

Danny Rose, if you have to Google him, you don’t watch enough football.
Unquote

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I´m not going to say Gomez can´t be that good. Some years ago one could have had the same discussion with Kane. Who knows how players will develop - and Gomez certainly seems like a good talent.

What I don´t get then, if he is THAT good, why Liverpool are that eager to spend that much money on van Dijk? Liverpool don´t have endless amount of money and they could certainly spend that elsewhere if they got Matip and Gomez as CDs.

That doesn´t prove that Gomez isn´t that good of course, but it seems a bit odd.

Because Liverpool are looking for a top CB? Sanchez isn't better than Matip or Lovren but Virgil is better than both.

That's why Liverpool aren't just going out and buying a 'back-up' CB or someone with potential like Sanchez. Liverpool have long term but also short term goals. Keep in mind Gomez is onky 20, he will probably eventually become a starter for Liverpool, and already looked nearly ready for that at 18. van Dijk is already at that level.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
OK. It explains your view I guess.

I´m not an expert on Sanchez, but it sounds like you rate him lower than basically everyone else. Which in turn explains why you think Gomez is better.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That is quite amazing. Only a handful of players dream of playing for Barca.

I actually assume it is every footballer's dream until I see a video of them saying it's not

Barcelona has apparently given Liverpool until 7pm tonight to reconsider or it will withdraw its offer. Lol.

Jul 7, 2009
I actually assume it is every footballer's dream until I see a video of them saying it's not

Barcelona has apparently given Liverpool until 7pm tonight to reconsider or it will withdraw its offer. Lol.

Such a joke. They should be focusing on Demeble and Seri. We need someone on that wing very badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->