TBN: Sulzer done for the season

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sulzer had an ACL injury requiring surgery so he will likely not be ready for the start of next season.

Because of this I would expect for him to resign with Buffalo on another 1 yr deal given his UFA status after this season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ahh damn that's too bad. I really like Sulzer for what he is, a dependable third pairing guy. He has good chemistry with Ehrhoff, I wouldn't mind a 3 year/2.4 million dollar deal. You can't do much better then Sulzer for a #5/6 dman.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't mind him as a 6/7....but shoehorning him into the top 4 was a problem. Ehrhoff has been much better since Sulzer has been out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think he's done as a sabres

Buffalo only has Ehrhoff, Myers, and Sekera under contract next year with Weber and Brennan RFAs.

I see them keeping Sulzer on a 1 year deal because Buffalo does have Dmen coming up their system with 3 NHL ready by next year. He is icheap insurance if they dont pan out.

He has played far better here than with other teams. i think alot of that has to do with having fellow germans on the club.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Buffalo only has Ehrhoff, Myers, and Sekera under contract next year with Weber and Brennan RFAs.

I see them keeping Sulzer on a 1 year deal because Buffalo does have Dmen coming up their system with 3 NHL ready by next year. He is icheap insurance if they dont pan out.

He has played far better here than with other teams. i think alot of that has to do with having fellow germans on the club.

I agree, he is a cheap insurance policy for depth at D. For his salary, he can always be waived and not count against the cap. He would miss part of the season though recovering from knee surgery.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Regardless of whether Sulzer is / isn't in future Sabre plans, in whatever role or capacity, hopefully this situation won't inlfuence / interfere opportunities to potentially move Leo, Robyn, or any other players, pre-trade-deadline.

When you're down a body in the overall organization, there's less flexibility, period, in what you can do.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Regardless of whether Sulzer is / isn't in future Sabre plans, in whatever role or capacity, hopefully this situation won't inlfuence / interfere opportunities to potentially move Leo, Robyn, or any other players, pre-trade-deadline.

When you're down a body in the overall organization, there's less flexibility, period, in what you can do.

That's true. That is why I don't think they will waive Brennan to make room for Leino on the roster.
But they still have depth on D. They could move two D up from the AHL and still have enough D for Rochester (barring injury - here is where your less flexibility comes in)

Myers
Ehrhoff
Regehr
Sekera
Weber
Leopold
Brennan

Pardy
McNabb
Pysyk
Crawford
Biega
MacKenzie
Schiestel
Leduc

Fienhage

skibum

Jan 23, 2011
I don't think Sulzer gets enough credit on this board. He seems to be pigeon-holed as a bottom pairing guy, but he never looked out of place with Ehrhoff.

In fact, I thought he was our third best defenseman behind Hoff and Sekera. Just an objective opinion based on what I see on the ice, independent of his career prior to the Sabres. Am I nuts?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't think Sulzer gets enough credit on this board. He seems to be pigeon-holed as a bottom pairing guy, but he never looked out of place with Ehrhoff.

In fact, I thought he was our third best defenseman behind Hoff and Sekera. Just an objective opinion based on what I see on the ice, independent of his career prior to the Sabres. Am I nuts?

You're not nuts. But I would also put him behind Weber and Regehr. Myers has turned his game around the last few games.

Sulzer is okay when he keeps it simple, is not pressed too much on the forecheck, and plays against weaker competition.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

If anything, he gets way more credit than he deserves.
He is completely carried by Ehrhoff and not only does his play show it, the stats do too.

Christian Ehrhoff is 2nd in the league (minimum 10GP to cut out outliers) in Corsi Relative at 27.3, meaning he is the single best driving force behind possession on the team this season and one of the most important to his team in the league.
The telling stats are With Or Without You, though (database is a bit behind but still useful).
The Sabres with Ehrhoff on the ice generate 48.8% of the Corsi events, while they generate a measly 38.3% without him.
The Sabres generate 50.4% of Corsi events while Sulzer is paired with Ehrhoff (roughly 80% of Sulzer's ice time this season), while they only generate 25.4% of events with Sulzer on the ice without Ehrhoff.
The Sabres with Ehrhoff and without Sulzer generates 48.6% of events.

So, tl;dr:
Ehrhoff is a dominant creator of offensive chances.
Ehrhoff's numbers show almost no notable improvement when paired with Sulzer (+1.8%).
Sulzer's numbers are massively improved when paired with Ehrhoff (+25%).

Conculsion: Sulzer is a marginal talent carried by a dominant one.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He is completely carried by Ehrhoff and not only does his play show it, the stats do too.

Christian Ehrhoff is 2nd in the league (minimum 10GP to cut out outliers) in Corsi Relative at 27.3, meaning he is the single best driving force behind possession on the team this season and one of the most important to his team in the league.
The telling stats are With Or Without You, though (database is a bit behind but still useful).
The Sabres with Ehrhoff on the ice generate 48.8% of the Corsi events, while they generate a measly 38.3% without him.
The Sabres generate 50.4% of Corsi events while Sulzer is paired with Ehrhoff (roughly 80% of Sulzer's ice time this season), while they only generate 25.4% of events with Sulzer on the ice without Ehrhoff.

So, tl;dr:
Ehrhoff's numbers show almost no notable improvement when paired with Sulzer (+1.8%).

:amazed:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

So, tl;dr:

Thank you.

I would have said "Sulzer sucks at hockey and looks passable as a sixth man when paired with Ehrhoff," but this looks better

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I'd love him on the same contract as a number 7 but would rather not have him in our starting 6. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any better options with the UFA crop thin

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Good depth guy who worked better with Ehrhoff than Myers does right now, I'd gladly take him again for next season. But of course a team is better of if they don't have to rely on someone like Sulzer to play in the Top-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad