Post-Game Talk: Sully's security blankees fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I have certain people on ignore for a reason, unfortunately the quoted posts can be seen. I guess I’ll address it.

We definitely don’t have two number one lines. And when 71 came back in 2016 from injury we didn’t have two number one lines. Malkin was a third line center and told to deal with leftovers, not negotiable.

Yes, I’d think about stacking his line. He also needs to be deployed in all the situations Sid currently is (key faceoffs, the go to at the end of games, defensive situations, hell I’d have him start games). There is a clear number one and it’s Sid, and if you can’t see it you’re just being obtuse.

I love Sid (and Mike Sullivan by the way), and I’ve never advocated this before. But with few exceptions, Malkin has been the far superior player offensively and defensively this year. I thought Sid would dominate when he got back. But with a month and a half to observe, he clearly can’t. Everything was readjusted except Rust to make room for Sid when he got back, and the lines are f***ed.

Just take the focus off Sid and let Malkin run with it. And no, I would not play Letang with Malkin, not because they are bad together but because Letang is a dumpster fire and Malkin should play with Marino to maximize his talent.

None of this will happen because Mike Sullivan is not capable of adjusting when he gets like this until he gets beaten over the head like a baseball bat with the reality. I think his bias for Crosby based on previous years is too great.
having hope that sully would make changes like that when he wont even play riiky. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
First game I have seen in person in years and.... I left early. It was a pitiful performance!! Great to be back in the Burgh for the weekend but that game, which was to be the highlight, was embarrassing to watch. That is hard to achieve but they did it.

I was forced to watch the Sharks game in person...it can’t have been worse than that..lol...I still have PTSD from that game

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
So “Making Malkin our #1” simply means acknowledging he’s had a better season.

Talk about an agenda. The only people that care about this are silly internet posters. I can’t think of anything more waste of time to talk about. The Sid vs Malkin argument is so dumb and never really was a competition unless pull out the peaks and valleys as data.

It’s funny that when Sid struggles you don’t see people posting excuses like we do when Malkin struggles.

I've been a vocal critic of Malkin and believe the focus of the team should now be around him. Crosby is playing like dogshit on skates right now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just put 1000 Euros on Penguins dropping out in first round. I advice you to do the same.

Don’t worry about it...there’s not going to be any POs this year...save your money for your and your family’s medical bills...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
87 and 71 had bad games, but they suck every afternoon game, so this was to be expected. The one positive from Geno is that he was flying around the offensive zone protecting the puck. I like seeing him do that and I wish he did it more.

I know the fan boys will get all up in arms about what I'm about to say, but 58 had an atrocious game and he his defensive game this season has been below average. Blaming it on Jack Johnson is a f***ing cop out. His hockey sense is woefully low which is made up by his skill and ability being incredibly high. The poorly timed pinches, the stickhandling flatfooted at the point, the shots so far and wide that the pucks bounce off the glass and create a breakout for the other team, the f***in travesty at the point on the powerplay with Malkin, the temper and ill-timed penalties. It's all getting really f***ing old, and with how Marino is playing, Letang should not be playing 30 mins a game in the playoffs. If he does, we will not succeed.

McCann needs to wake the f*** up. I think he is a good young hockey player, but he cannot buy a goal right now. I would try to dangle him out there to Chicago in the offseason and see if they would be interested in a McCann package for Saad. McCann would fit in well there and he is young enough to be there while they retool.

Justin Schultz's career may be over at this point. No team is going to throw a big contract at him. The injuries he has had have really thrown him off. JR should have made a move at the deadline for a defenseman. There are only 2 defensemen on this team who are worth a shit right now and it's Dumo and Marino.

Reactions: Angrrus and vodeni

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
GMJR's Hand was forced By Sid's OCD he didn't want Kahun on his line & wanted Simon who SUCKS & he went & traded for Sheary
Give me a break. No one forced JR to acquire Sheary. It was a horrible from the second it was announced. But what do you expect from a guy that’s literally been stale for 5 years. His great trades were made many many years ago.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the criticism is a bit too much on Sid. He doesn't look great, but he could still be feeling the effects of his injury/surgery and he's probably doing what he does every single year where he conserves some energy heading into the playoffs.

Could he step up and play better? Sure, no doubt. But people are acting like he's a complete detriment to the team whenever he's on the ice. It's not that bad.

One thing I will say of Sid, and all the forwards to be honest; their commitment to play without the puck, namely defensively and in puck support, has been dogshit. When the blueline's as bad as it is, you need your forwards to cover and go the extra mile to help out. Nobody's doing that, and hasn't been for weeks.

Reactions: TheGuiminator

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, there's no universe in which it's sensible for there to be 3x as many complaints about Sheary as Schultz. Not after that abomination we all saw from Edmonton Schultz this afternoon. I don't know if Sheary has ever had a game as bad as Schultz did today. Probably not many in the lineup who have.
your first sentence is correct. there is no such a universe...if you followed the GDT the entire GDT was shiting on Shultz, I don't recall anyone mentioning Sheary

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Give me a break. No one forced JR to acquire Sheary. It was a horrible from the second it was announced. But what do you expect from a guy that’s literally been stale for 5 years. His great trades were made many many years ago.

This is literally one of the dumbest posts ever. Even the Kessel trade was less than 5 years ago.

Reactions: Doogle

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Some of this team is just worn out, like Tanev and Blueger playing 15 and 16 minutes a night all year. Letang is playing almost 26 a night, that's far too much for him at this stage of his career. Not that the coaches have a lot of options. Schultz being useless and always hurt is a big culprit there.

At this point, they need to ride the guys who should be fresh, but look still hurt/rusty/disinclined, Sid and to a much lesser extent Bjugstad need to play way, way better. Sid doing whatever he did out there tonight has to be demoralizing to the team.

That Kessel trade was a problem, they broke their PP, and they did nothing structurally or personnel-wise to fix it, and they brought in a guy who the coaching staff was never going to like who couldn't shoulder any of the workload when we got hit by injuries. They almost got it right, they just needed to flip AG for something useful or futures in the summer. At this point, I'd put Marino at the top of the PP umbrella and put Letang on the half wall. Schultz can't be on the PP at all and needs to be scratched. At least Ruh can play on the PK.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
what’s “stayed #1” mean?

Just because I hate a lot of Malkin’s game and the subsequent excuse making here does it automatically make me a Sid fanboy. Why does everything have to be black and white? Red or blue?

it’s a narrow way of looking at things.

Malkin should have been the clear #1 center...he should have stayed at that...you know...like he was for 10 weeks when Crosby was hurt

He should have been playing 21min a night and they should have rehabbed Sid in at like 18mins.

But.

They rolled Sid back out with the typical extra couple minutes a night.

Ruined the lines. Shook up the chemistry. And relied on Jarry going .915+ to look good.

You ARE a Sid fanboy by default because every PGT you find some way to cry about how Geno was some net negative. Win or lose it is SOMETHING he didn't do right. Excuse making? Geno is ripped plenty around here. Just other posters are able to be rational and realize it's okay if a player didn't execute 100% perfect plays all night in a game of random bounces on ice.

I bet you could find a way to hate this shit:

"Geno should have kept his head up. The idiot!"
"Geno's emotions hurt the team. Yeah take away his A."
"Only assholes slapshot on breakaways"
"Lazy cherrypicking, no backchecking, defensively irresponsible Russian."

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think the criticism is a bit too much on Sid. He doesn't look great, but he could still be feeling the effects of his injury/surgery and he's probably doing what he does every single year where he conserves some energy heading into the playoffs.

Could he step up and play better? Sure, no doubt. But people are acting like he's a complete detriment to the team whenever he's on the ice. It's not that bad.

One thing I will say of Sid, and all the forwards to be honest; their commitment to play without the puck, namely defensively and in puck support, has been dogshit. When the blueline's as bad as it is, you need your forwards to cover and go the extra mile to help out. Nobody's doing that, and hasn't been for weeks.
I don't think this is "criticizing " Sid...just acknowledgement" that he is not in position to carry this team on his back....he needs a tons of support especially in transition...yesterday he was a step ahead one on one with a d-man on the right side and he just stopped...you would think healthy Sid would smoke the guy....nevertheless..it is what it is...the coaches should figure out what he needs, what adjustments can be made to use things that are not affected with his injury...his hands, his his vision, etc...thats why he needs someone on his RW that can crash the net, open some space for him, forecheck and backcheck for two, etc....

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Malkin should have been the clear #1 center...he should have stayed at a that...you know...like he was for 10 weeks when Crosby was hurt

He should have been playing 21min a night and they should have rehabbed Sid in at like 18mins.

But.

They rolled Sid back out with the typical extra couple minutes a night.

Ruined the lines. Shook up the chemistry. And relied on Jarry going .915+ to look good.

Or was it our top goal scorer getting injured?

I don't think 21 vs 18 minutes make a notable difference. You're just playing favorites again.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I can’t wait to see how they come out today against Carolina...my guess is they’re really going to be asleep in the first period given day light savings and another slow start

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid's probably got a few things going on that result in poor performances. He's probably not 100% health-wise, he's probably sick and tired of playing in front of guys like JJ, Petts and Schultz on any given shift, he's probably also trying to conserve energy for what's going to be an uphill battle come playoff time.

It ain't perfect, but if I'm willing to give any player the benefit of the doubt, it's probably Sid.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean the loss yesterday stings because of missed opportunity in standings (and it being the Caps), but it’s just one game at the end of the day.

If they win today I feel good about where we’re headed with Dumo and Marino back. If not, there may be signs that the big losing streak was a harbinger of what’s to come and not an aberration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->