Suggestions for overseas NJ Devils visitors

the5cats

Oct 7, 2007
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, if not the moderators should move it. I haven't seen any sub-Forums for it.
I will come over for 5 days to see two NJD home games and I (maybe also other visitors from oversea) would like to have some organizational hints.

- where do you think it is better to stay: near Newark or down in Manhattan?
- having a budget of up to 100$ per game, if less better since I am not alone, which sector would you choose (best value)?
- I won't have a car: if I would stay down in the city, which is the best way to come to the center and how much time should I plan? In my case one of the games is on Friday 7 PM.
- are there interesting things to do or visit around Newark so I can combine them with the game?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There is a stickied post that has some good information in the original post that should be able to answer some of your questions.

That being said, if you’re coming to be a tourist, NYC offers a ton more to do then Newark/NJ especially if you’re not going to have a car. Budget-depending you’re likely better off staying near NYC and using public transit to get around and to the Devils games.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, if not the moderators should move it. I haven't seen any sub-Forums for it.
I will come over for 5 days to see two NJD home games and I (maybe also other visitors from oversea) would like to have some organizational hints.

- where do you think it is better to stay: near Newark or down in Manhattan?
- having a budget of up to 100$ per game, if less better since I am not alone, which sector would you choose (best value)?
- I won't have a car: if I would stay down in the city, which is the best way to come to the center and how much time should I plan? In my case one of the games is on Friday 7 PM.
- are there interesting things to do or visit around Newark so I can combine them with the game?

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have so many questions but I'll do my best.
1) is it your first time in the area? If so I'd imagine you want to see NYC. Manhattan or even Brooklyn are more desirable locations for just about anything other than hockey for a tourist. But if hockey is the primary purpose of your trip and cost is a concern then Newark, Jersey City, and Hoboken are all good options. If you do choose Manhattan make sure you're either on the west side below 42nd st or near the world trade center as getting to the rink from anywhere else will take an hour or more. If Brooklyn is an option stay downtown for the quickest commute by train. You want to be near a PATH train in Hoboken or JC and nowhere near the west side of Newark.
2) best value depends on the opponent and day of the week. I almost always wait until day of and buy on the secondary market - www.stubhub.com https://www.ticketsnow.com/nhl/resaleorder/new-jersey-devils-tickets/event/593
www.tickpick.com or www.seatgeek.com are all good options. For a lot of games $100 is just fine for 2 people. I'm partial to sections 21-2 but everyone has their own preference and there's not really a bad seat in the house.
3) a car is completely unnecessary and could be more hassle than it's worth unless you're staying way out in the suburbs, as the arena is 2 blocks from a major transportation hub. Look up some hotels and airbnb's and check Google maps for travel time. You could stay 9 miles away and have it still take almost an hour to the arena on a Friday night.
4) Newark and the surrounding cities have more to do than quite probably anywhere on the planet. But I'd need to know your interests and whether or not you'll have a car to give you recommendations. The easy stuff for food and beverage is covered in the stickied arena thread. But my opinions are that if you've never had proper American bbq or pastrami on rye hobby's and dinosaur bbq are can't miss and right there. If you don't mind a $5 lyft/uber to and from, krugs has the best burgers, tops diner is a jersey classic, and boi na brassa is the best Brazilian I've had outside of Rio.

Godspeed.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You're coming from overseas to America as a tourist for a vacation?

Okay, so the people telling you to stay in Newark, Jersey City, or Hoboken are giving you HORRIBLE advice, do not listen to them.

The only place to stay as a first time international tourist is in Manhattan, as that is where 99% of the tourist attractions that are currently on your "to do" list are located. The train from New York Penn Station goes directly to Newark Penn Station, which is a 5 minute walk to the Devils arena, and those trains run very frequently (link below). Where to stay in Manhattan? Anywhere below 96th Street, depending upon your budget.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Okay, so the people telling you to stay in Newark, Jersey City, or Hoboken are giving you HORRIBLE advice, do not listen to them.

The only place to stay as a first time international tourist is in Manhattan, as that is where 99% of the tourist attractions that are currently on your "to do" list are located. The train from New York Penn Station goes directly to Newark Penn Station, which is a 5 minute walk to the Devils arena, and those trains run very frequently (link below). Where to stay in Manhattan? Anywhere below 96th Street, depending upon your budget.

While I mostly agree with this sentiment he only has 5 days and the only thing on his "to do list" is devils hockey. He also didn't say it's his first time, but I suppose you can read it that way. My final point is that you can save a fair amount of money staying in Jersey and still only be ~15 minutes from Manhattan if you plan it right, especially with Airbnb.

One thing I did forget to mention in my initial post is AVOID TIMES SQUARE AT ALL COSTS. To stay, to visit, to eat, to breathe. Unless there is a Broadway show you really want to see the place is a miserable pit that I've never heard a tourist, and especially not a local, say a kind word about.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
While I mostly agree with this sentiment he only has 5 days and the only thing on his "to do list" is devils hockey.

Here's here 5 full days and is attending 2 hockey games which comprise 6 hours of time.

Unless he's the most boring international traveler on planet earth, somehow I think there's more on his "to do list" than 2 hockey games.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Here's here 5 full days and is attending 2 hockey games which comprise 6 hours of time.

Unless he's the most boring international traveler on planet earth, somehow I think there's more on his "to do list" than 2 hockey games.
Sure. And I covered that in my initial post. He also asked about specific things to do in Newark. Also, as someone who almost exclusively heads from the city to games and back I can promise you it NEVER takes 3 hours. Maybe 4 if you live in fidi and go straight to the game and back or own a helicopter. 5-6 is much more realistic especially for a traveler.

If it were me at this age I'd stay at SoHo House and say f**k it, but he specifically mentioned a budget.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

can't say i agree with you on staying in JC or Hoboken, but do agree on not staying in Newark.

JC and Hoboken are fine locations, especially if you're looking for budget and a bit of an escape from the hustle and bustle of NYC at night. Not to mention, both can get you to NYC via the PATH train very quickly.

you CAN find cheap places to stay on AirBnB in NYC though. And while it's not in Manhattan, staying in Astoria (I live there) and Brooklyn aren't terrible ideas either, if you're just looking for places to crash that are close to the city.

If you're looking to visit when the weather is better though, and perhaps doing things outside of the city, or even visit another place (Philadelphia maybe), staying in NYC is DEFINITELY more preferential, as it is a transit hub that can get you to many places (e.g. hiking at Breakneck Ridge, suburb-ish things like apple picking on Long Island, trains to D.C., etc.)

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

yeah, telling him to *rely* on nj transit (especially traversing the failing north river tunnels) is also horrible advice. :laugh:

then again, all our mass transit here is dilapidated.

you can also stay in lower manhattan and use path. or, if you don't feel like having to cross the river to get to both games, staying in downtown jersey city is a feasible option. but make sure it's *downtown* jersey city.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Stay at the Marriott Courtyard next to The Rock
No chance of being late to the games

Much cheaper than NYC hotels, can take the train to Manhattan

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I come in from Canada for games and I stay at the Hilton Penn Station in Newark. Have also stayed at the Marriott and while its nicer, I find the Hilton more convenient. Kills two birds with one stone. 1. It's a couple blocks away from the arena, most of which is an inside walk through that Gateway concourse thing and 2. I just take the 20 minute train ride into NYC for my pizza eating and touristy activities. Drops you off at Penn Station in NYC and from there you can go anywhere by subway or walking.

I don't do anything in Newark except for the games and the odd beer at one of the bars around the arena. Plus it's cheaper to stay in Newark over NYC and the train ride to/from is about $10 bucks.

Also as for the tickets at the game, I've sat pretty much everywhere and prefer the mezzanine level, but there really isn't a bad seat in the place. Lower Bowl is overpriced, but you might want to do it for the experience like I did my first time. Now its Mezzanine centre for me and I always pay less than $100 per ticket for those.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Jersey

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
yeah, telling him to *rely* on nj transit (especially traversing the failing north river tunnels) is also horrible advice. :laugh:

Not really sure what you mean by this? There are tons of trains that run from NY Penn to Newark Penn, and it's extremely rare the entire system goes down (I actually dont recall that even happening once in the decade I lived in Manhattan, but maybe it did, nevertheless, it's silly to worry about).

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Not really sure what you mean by this? There are tons of trains that run from NY Penn to Newark Penn, and it's extremely rare the entire system goes down (I actually dont recall that even happening once in the decade I lived in Manhattan, but maybe it did, nevertheless, it's silly to worry about).

failures in the north river tunnels and the penn station complex are NOT uncommon.

just yesterday there were 45 minute delays on trains to/from nyp/jersey after a tugboat struck the portal bridge.

and all this happened in the last two weeks:

Disabled train causes more headaches for NJ Transit riders

Amtrak Derailment Wreaks Havoc on LIRR, NJ Transit Commute

Portal Bridge gets stuck, brings NJ Transit trains to standstill | NJBIZ

(oh not to mention the tunnels themselves are failing, never fully repaired from sandy, but that’s a separate issue.)

i don’t even take transit that often and even i’ve been on a train that broke down in paterson once. uberred the rest of the way to hoboken, annoyed.

all i’m saying is if you choose to rely on nj transit, don’t be surprised if something happens. it’s no more or less infeasible than our guy staying in jc or newark right by the arena.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
failures in the north river tunnels and the penn station complex are NOT uncommon.

just yesterday there were 45 minute delays on trains to/from nyp/jersey after a tugboat struck the portal bridge.

Not exactly a likely occurrence. Again, most lines go through Newark. Even if 1 (or 2) are down, something's probably running.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Not exactly a likely occurrence. Again, most lines go through Newark. Even if 1 (or 2) are down, something's probably running.

path train, sure.

my opinion: base your accommodations on what your focus is.

if you’re coming for the devils as your main priority and plan on spending the two game days pregaming near the arena, stay in downtown newark or jersey city. if you want to do everything but watch hockey in new york city, stay in manhattan.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
NY/NJ folks are spoiled so rotten with mass transit. This area, despite it's faults, has the best mass transit in the country. You can get nearly anywhere in New Jersey (or close by) by train, and those trains run very often. Try that elsewhere in the country.
Does it piss me off occasionally that it can take 3+ hours to get from Brooklyn to Asbury? Sure. But at least it's an option. Try that anywhere else outside of this region.

And yes, delays happen more often than everyone would like, but not being able to access Manhattan from Newark is pretty much an impossibility. It's 24 hours to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad