Suggestion for the league re: handshake line

STC

Oct 29, 2012
some of the responses in here I find quite pathetic. get rid of the handshake? Don't let us get access because you think nothing interesting is ever said?

Pretty obvious to be able to tell who's played competitive sports and who has spent their whole life on the couch just watching.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
some of the responses in here I find quite pathetic. get rid of the handshake? Don't let us get access because you think nothing interesting is ever said?

Pretty obvious to be able to tell who's played competitive sports and who has spent their whole life on the couch just watching.

pretty obvious many of us have and know what actually happens in a handshake line after the game is over based off the responses

nearly everyone knows that its all fake, they dont mean half the stuff they say. they just spent seven games cheap-shotting someone, dirty jabs and pushes after the whistle. they hate their guts, want them to lose so much and you think they all of a sudden after game is over go oh great job cheapshotting me, oh great job kicking my butt out there, oh great job beating us and crushing my dreams.

its all fake, they are mad and they only do it because they have too

are you gonna go out and say oh good game bud after someone cheap shots you? no
are you gonna go out and say oh congrats after you have your dreams crushed? no

STC

Oct 29, 2012
pretty obvious many of us have and know what actually happens in a handshake line after the game is over based off the responses

nearly everyone knows that its all fake, they dont mean half the stuff they say. they just spent seven games cheap-shotting someone, dirty jabs and pushes after the whistle. they hate their guts, want them to lose so much and you think they all of a sudden after game is over go oh great job cheapshotting me, oh great job kicking my butt out there, oh great job beating us and crushing my dreams.

:shakehead every single word you just wrote is complete and total bullcrap.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I agree with the OP.

Today they're just showing one player through the entire line, maybe two, sometimes switching completely elsewhere

The Gourmet

Potage Le Magnifique
Aug 30, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There is literally no downside to this idea. If you don't want to watch it then don't watch it. There's plenty of people who would watch extended coverage of the handshake line, myself included.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
There is literally no downside to this idea. If you don't want to watch it then don't watch it. There's plenty of people who would watch extended coverage of the handshake line, myself included.

Exactly! I don't know how any self professed hockey fan can be opposed to this. There is literally no downside.

People opposed to this must also hate it when a player is mic'd up during a game as well.

God forbid as fans we get to see/be exposed to another layer of the game we love.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What goes on in the handshake line…stays in the handshake line

Milan Lucic
AKA Modern Day Buddha

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
:shakehead every single word you just wrote is complete and total bullcrap.

And you know that how?

Sorry you dont feel that the handshake line is fake. Sorry you feel that handshake lines are sincere and that they honestly feel that way. Its a fake good job, a fake good luck and thats it.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
Not a fan of the handshake line. I hate how the media plays it out "Look the respect these 'warriors' have for each other after a brutal playoff series!"

Ugh...

Sure, it's fine when you see legitimate sportsmanship between two former teammates, brothers, etc. but of the handshake is phony.

Why do I need to watch two guys give each other halfhearted handshakes with the loser saying "good luck?" Players shouldn't be forced or at least not shamed into handshakes. Not sure why everyone needs to see a guy from a winning team (who could have been a POS the whole series) with a s*** eating grin shake hands with the loser?

I guess the handshakes is some form of validation for the fans so that they can tell themselves that hockey is a game of "respect."

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Lol that must be it. Actually, I can't tell if your the "macho man who plays competitive sports" or the couch potato. If you've been in a hard fought series, handshake lines are BS. See Billy Smith, Shane Doan, Lucic etc.

Handshake line to me is overrated and fake as hell. A pat on the back for people to tell others "It's the classiest sport ever, see how they battle all series and then have the respect to shake each others hands!? SUCH GENTLEMEN!!"

Like you can't offer your opinion if you haven't played either way :laugh:
Not a fan of the handshake line. I hate how the media plays it out "Look the respect these 'warriors' have for each other after a brutal playoff series!"

Ugh...

Sure, it's fine when you see legitimate sportsmanship between two former teammates, brothers, etc. but of the handshake is phony.

Why do I need to watch two guys give each other halfhearted handshakes with the loser saying "good luck?" Players shouldn't be forced or at least not shamed into handshakes. Not sure why everyone needs to see a guy from a winning team (who could have been a POS the whole series) with a s*** eating grin shake hands with the loser?

I guess the handshakes is some form of validation for the fans so that they can tell themselves that hockey is a game of "respect."

:nod:

meehan

Mar 20, 2003
new york
Visit site
The handshake line is an abomination. I would like to see more players go the Billy Smith route so that the league is forced to do away with it.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

I don't know about that. The majority of the guys I hated the most when I was younger were the ones I respected the most in the handshake line and even when I ran into them later on in life after hockey.

When two players play the same in your face hockey you can't help but respect them in the end as long as they don't cross the line, which many of them don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->