Suggestion for the league re: handshake line

STC

Oct 29, 2012
My favorite part of every series is the handshake line. I love watching it to see how different players interact, which players give extra love to each other and which players don't have much to say to each other. How the stars interact etc etc.

But, you never get to see everything you want to see during the tv coverage. For instance, tonight I wanted to see Kesler and Kane, former USA olympic linemates, but it wasn't shown on tv.

I know there are several cameras filming it...so here's my suggestion to the league. Allow fans to go online and watch the stream from each camera in its entirety. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort or cost much for the league to do. And on the flipside, it would be really cool to see and would also help the league promote the really cool sportsmanship that is shown at the end of every series. Also, have sound so you can hear what they are saying to each other.

Just seems like a win win for everyone and a no-brainer in this day and age of multimedia experiences.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Handshake line is fine the way it is shown now. You want more phony "hey good game" lines? It's done out of respect to the game/series, not to have dialogue and display some sort of a sideshow. It's hard enough for the losers as it is.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
My favorite part of every series is the handshake line. I love watching it to see how different players interact, which players give extra love to each other and which players don't have much to say to each other. How the stars interact etc etc.

But, you never get to see everything you want to see during the tv coverage. For instance, tonight I wanted to see Kesler and Kane, former USA olympic linemates, but it wasn't shown on tv.

I know there are several cameras filming it...so here's my suggestion to the league. Allow fans to go online and watch the stream from each camera in its entirety. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort or cost much for the league to do. And on the flipside, it would be really cool to see and would also help the league promote the really cool sportsmanship that is shown at the end of every series. Also, have sound so you can hear what they are saying to each other.

Just seems like a win win for everyone and a no-brainer in this day and age of multimedia experiences.

I'm with you. I like seeing the player interactions on the handshake line. Interesting to see the dynamic between former teammates, players who are rivals, players on the same national team, etc.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've been thinking this for years. Even one big static camera shot so we can follow who we want. Always drive me nuts when I know there are players with history about to shake hands and I can't see it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's fine the way it is.

Yeah, sometimes it's neat seeing how some players react to others but if you start having too many eyes, you are going to get everyone (especially the media) over analyzing every little detail: "Did you see how X shook Y's hand? What a sore loser", "X seemed so disengaged, he clearly wants off this team", "Y looked injured there at the end". Plus you're probably gonna get a lot of nasty exchanges and some things need to stay on the ice instead of being stirred up by the media and fans. Remember the Lucic incident?

Just accept it as a gesture of good sportsmanship and move on. You don't need to examine it under a microscope.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, I care more for the symbology of the hand-shake line than anything that happens within it.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
So you just want to be able to watch a bunch of men shake hands from different angles?

That's weird and creepy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So you just want to be able to watch a bunch of men shake hands from different angles?

That's weird and creepy.

To quote Allen Iverson, it ain't about that at all. That people enjoy getting a more intimate and behind-the-scenes look at their idols is nothing new or shocking. It's why people like 'mic'd up' stuff.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Just let it be how it is. What is said on the ice should stay on the ice. There is really no reason to get into anything in depth. I know we all want to see/hear it, but these players should be able to keep their talks to themselves.

If this stuff ever got releAsed, this forum would explode with things that are said in every damn handshake line. If you're pissed, you're pissed. No reason to have anything specific said to the media or to the fans.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I dunno, I thought the long handshake between Quick and Brodeur was neat. Exchanged more than just "Good game bruh" stuff.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I dunno, I thought the long handshake between Quick and Brodeur was neat. Exchanged more than just "Good game bruh" stuff.

Yeah, sometimes there's some really cool stuff. Marty took a long time getting through the line the other night - wonder what was said between him and Stamkos especially. Also, after the Detroit series there were a few guys that grabbed Johnson and spent a long time talking to him, which I thought was really cool and very respectful.

I think generally the cameramen do a good job of figuring out what those moments are going to be beforehand and focusing on it, but I wouldn't mind one or two more cameras out there at the same time. That being said... God damn I love the handshake line. I know most of it is "Good series" type of talk, but those extra moments and the respect after a hard fought series... it ****ing gives me chills. My fiance who hates hockey turned in to watch the Rangers/Bolts handshake line. There's something special about it.

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
I guess at this point in my life (entering middle age) I find some of the playoff traditions of hockey to be eye roll-worthy, a lot about pro sports in general actually and all the phony nobility that fans love to attach to it. Fans love to crow about the "class" of the handshake line but it's true the losing side doesn't want to be there and if it weren't for the media and appearances most of the losing team would just probably skate off like the Russian team did at Worlds. They're not happy to congratulate the winner. A ton of ugly stuff goes down in a series and there's literally almost nothing sincere about that handshake line. It's a manufactured thing for the sake of appearances.

Same with the tradition of not touching the conference championship trophy. Was so refreshing to see the Pens grab it and pose with it in 09 and then go on to win the Cup. There is clearly no such thing as a curse nor is there any validity to any superstition regarding the correlation of touching and success in the Finals. It also is a manufactured thing that the players are doing for the sake of appearance, rather than any sincere belief in a superstition (that has been proven to be rubbish).

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I wish there was more mic'd up players and angles, yeah, but even if there aren't it's not too big of a big deal.

On a side note, Tim Thomas mic'd up during the handshake line when they won the cup was so awesome. I'd love to see more of that.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I guess at this point in my life (entering middle age) I find some of the playoff traditions of hockey to be eye roll-worthy, a lot about pro sports in general actually and all the phony nobility that fans love to attach to it. Fans love to crow about the "class" of the handshake line but it's true the losing side doesn't want to be there and if it weren't for the media and appearances most of the losing team would just probably skate off like the Russian team did at Worlds. They're not happy to congratulate the winner. A ton of ugly stuff goes down in a series and there's literally almost nothing sincere about that handshake line. It's a manufactured thing for the sake of appearances.

Same with the tradition of not touching the conference championship trophy. Was so refreshing to see the Pens grab it and pose with it in 09 and then go on to win the Cup. There is clearly no such thing as a curse nor is there any validity to any superstition regarding the correlation of touching and success in the Finals. It also is a manufactured thing that the players are doing for the sake of appearance, rather than any sincere belief in a superstition (that has been proven to be rubbish).

Agree 100 percent on your first paragraph

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I imagine the media will blow a lot of things up if it was scrutinized more so than it is now.

I remember everyone going ape doo-doo over the Lucic handshake a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad