Sugar or Sour - next offer from NHL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
The league will make one final offer.

Do they

1) Table the sweetest offer they can, hoping its enough for the committee to send to a vote.

or

2) Table the most draconian offer yet, knowing its the offer they will implement next season.

On one hand, the PA can say, look the last offer wasnt good enough to send to a vote and if the owners buy that and make it better, i think a vote would get hockey back on the ice. On the other hand, if the owners truly want to ruin the NHLPA (and the NHL at the same time), they will go with option 2.

What does everyone here think they will do ?

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I see the NHL as making their best offer basically during the current sessions....after that, they will continue with the same offer until it is accepted by the PA (Some year).....with minor alterations.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
I don't think the NHL wants an impasse. They don't want to blow up the union. They're waiting until the union membership feels enough wallet pain to cry "uncle." So, I reject the premise of your poll. :shakehead

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
misterjaggers said:
I don't think the NHL wants an impasse. They don't want to blow up the union. They're waiting until the union membership feels enough wallet pain to cry "uncle." So, I reject the premise of your poll. :shakehead
so should i have an option C ? the NHL wont make another offer ?

otherwise, it sounds like you would vote for A

dr

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
so should i have an option C ? the NHL wont make another offer ?

otherwise, it sounds like you would vote for A

dr
I cannot vote for either of your options. For starters, I do not buy your premise that the owners have only two options. Nor do I buy your assumption that if the owners do not offer a 'sweet' proposal that they want impasse. IMO, if the owners offer basically what they offered a couple of days ago, that is a sweet enough offer. How about an option stating the NHLPA will allow its members to vote on the current offer or that the NHLPA will step up to the plate with an offer the owners can accept?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
wazee said:
I cannot vote for either of your options. For starters, I do not buy your premise that the owners have only two options. Nor do I buy your assumption that if the owners do not offer a 'sweet' proposal that they want impasse. IMO, if the owners offer basically what they offered a couple of days ago, that is a sweet enough offer. How about an option stating the NHLPA will allow its members to vote on the current offer or that the NHLPA will step up to the plate with an offer the owners can accept?
i see your point. however, i think the challenge for the owners is to get the executive to let it go to vote. for that to happen the owners will have to completly alter the triple cap and arbitration components.

if they come back with something similar to what we have heard they proposed in the meeting, its certain the executive will walk away. in my opinion, if you believe they will do this, you would choose the 2nd option. an offer of that nature is one they know will not be accepted or wont even get to a vote. so why bother unless they just want to set the table "properly" in case they choose the implenetation route.

dr

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
i see your point. however, i think the challenge for the owners is to get the executive to let it go to vote. for that to happen the owners will have to completly alter the triple cap and arbitration components.

if they come back with something similar to what we have heard they proposed in the meeting, its certain the executive will walk away. in my opinion, if you believe they will do this, you would choose the 2nd option. an offer of that nature is one they know will not be accepted or wont even get to a vote. so why bother unless they just want to set the table "properly" in case they choose the implenetation route.

dr
Why bother, indeed? IMO, the challenge for the owners is to put in place a structure that restores the financial stability. Granted, the league could submit a proposal that dropped some of the stuff they have recently included...like the so-called triple salary cap...stuff they probably put it so they would have something to drop. They cannot drop the salary cap, but they can call it by a different name. What would you consider a 'sweet' enough offer that Goodenow would allow the player to vote?

SENSible1*

I have a question for the PA supporters.

If the Impasse/Implementation scenario using replacement players is as far fetched as most of you claim, why do you then suggest that the NHL is preparing an offer designed to help them go that route?

Do you imagine that the people running the NHL are stupid or not aware of the problems with that scenario?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
I have a question for the PA supporters.

If the Impasse/Implementation scenario using replacement players is as far fetched as most of you claim, why do you then suggest that the NHL is preparing an offer designed to help them go that route?

Do you imagine that the people running the NHL are stupid or not aware of the problems with that scenario?
well, i will speak for myself here.

they might not be able to go that route, but certainly have in mind the right course of action so that it remains viable if they take the gamble.

dr

SENSible1*

DR said:
well, i will speak for myself here.

they might not be able to go that route, but certainly have in mind the right course of action so that it remains viable if they take the gamble.

dr
Once again.

If the scenario is as impossible as PA apologists claim, why bother take any steps to keep it viable?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
Once again.

If the scenario is as impossible as PA apologists claim, why bother take any steps to keep it viable?
why are you always so argumentative.

dr

SENSible1*

DR said:
why are you always so argumentative.

dr
Why won't you answer the question?

I ask the question to point out the fuzzy logic I think is being employed. Perhaps you can show me where I a missing something.

If I don't ask you the question, how can I understand your position?

Brent Burns Beard