Sudden stops in rec hockey

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I play non checking rec hockey at a low level. Twice this evening I was chasing someone with the puck and he suddenly stopped while bent low, the first time I went flying, the second time I survived. Both times I got the puck from him, so the tactic failed. Same person each time. Is this legal, to stop suddenly while crouched down, knowing the pursuing player will probably go into you, or over you?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Legal? I can't see why not.

Jerk move in a rec league where everyone else is trying to avoid contact? For sure.

Reactions: LeifUK

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If anything it may be unsporting. I suppose he may have just been messing with you. Or he thought you were playing him too aggressively.

Was he a decent player? I'm guessing you're perhaps more of a recreational type?

I mean he could just be a total tool too.

Again, not judging you, but asking that from the other players perspective, were you being a bit over rambunctious out there, relative to the level of play?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks, he plays at a much higher level than me, and I've had lots of derogatory comments from him in the past as he didn't like the 'silly' things I did when doing my best. I think my play was fine. Yeah 'unsporting' sounds like a good description and from your comments it's legal and would not draw a penalty or words from the coach, but it's not exactly in the spirit of non checking rec hockey. I could deliberately slam him into the boards, but he's more heavily built than me, 20 years younger, and it's not my style anyway. My view is that he is a tool, as good players don't constantly put down those at the more basic level.

I'm slowly learning to stay on my feet when someone collides with me, or shoulder barges me, so in future I'll look out for his trick and try to 'accidentally' flatten him if he tries it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Does this rec league have coaches???

Are there licensed refs present?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Now, I have no idea if the OP really did something wrong or if the puck carrier is just being a baby/jerk/ass.

I find this is generally a defensive maneuver, done to prevent being driven into the boards or to stop an opponent that one perceives as doing something that's necessarily annoying or dangerous.

Regardless if a league is contact or not, people will make contact and in some instances drive people into the boards, on purpose or accidentally. You have this done to you once, and I assure you that you'll will not take any chances at being driven into the boards and paralyzed. If someone comes at you like they're going to initiate contact, you're going to bump them first before they can bump you.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, contact occurs, and to do a sudden stop is normal to throw off the other player. It happens all the time. But this seems to be to deliberately throw me over, I’ll ask friends to watch, and let me know what they think.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thanks, he plays at a much higher level than me, and I've had lots of derogatory comments from him in the past as he didn't like the 'silly' things I did when doing my best. I think my play was fine. Yeah 'unsporting' sounds like a good description and from your comments it's legal and would not draw a penalty or words from the coach, but it's not exactly in the spirit of non checking rec hockey. I could deliberately slam him into the boards, but he's more heavily built than me, 20 years younger, and it's not my style anyway. My view is that he is a tool, as good players don't constantly put down those at the more basic level.

I'm slowly learning to stay on my feet when someone collides with me, or shoulder barges me, so in future I'll look out for his trick and try to 'accidentally' flatten him if he tries it.

Something to keep in mind, coming from someone who has played almost my entire life...

There is always someone better than you, no matter how good or bad you are.

Always.

So while he’s chirping you for not being as good as him, there are tons of guys out there better than him, that would piss all over him without trying.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Stronger players if they have any sense of sportsmanship at all should be encouraging beginner players and if there are situations during the game where they can, try to put those beginner players in positions to succeed and help increase their confidence.

Sounds like the guy is as you stated, a tool.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks. To be honest I’m usually pleasantly surprised how helpful better players are, once they see someone making an effort.

Reactions: icon6668

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

What are the 'silly' things you are doing? Do they involve your stick?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
What are the 'silly' things you are doing? Do they involve your stick?

By that I meant playing badly, moving to the wrong part of the ice, making a poor pass and so on. Fortunately I am improving thanks to coaching and help from others.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
By that I meant playing badly, moving to the wrong part of the ice, making a poor pass and so on. Fortunately I am improving thanks to coaching and help from others.
Ah, gotcha. I thought maybe you were being a little "active" with your stick when defending against him. That's really the only real justification I could see for that guy doing what he did.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Exactly.

Pursue him as hard as ever, but stay as low as you can. And when he stops... don’t. It’ll look like an accident and he’s not likely to want that to happen again.

Thanks. That is exactly what I will do. I’m a much better skater than player, and I’m sure I can arrange for my knees or shoulder to make contact with him.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

I would skate up to him and tell him he's impressed you. However, you are not the one to impress.
Then point to all the scouts in crowd and tell him those are the people to impress.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
So almost like a reverse hit? If he low bridges you and takes your legs out it could be clipping, like something like this.

But if he's stopping up to absorb or reverse hit you it might a dick move but not necessarily illegal. I'd say be aware when he's on the ice and when you're defending him and if he tries it, hit him with a good force to knock him off stride or down and take the puck.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I had a situation a few years ago,,,,, in a no icing league to keep the play moving. Other team had a guy, the type that would jump around after scoring a goal, slew foot you or shove you into the boards from behind. This time, I was playing D going back to retrieve the puck. I could here him behind me, fartin and snarlin. When i got back to the puck, he kept coming full boar. I was bit bigger, and a much better skater. I stopped and braced about 3 feet from the boards. He kept coming full speed, slammed into me, bounced into the boards and broke his leg and collarbone. His intent was to run me through. He was kicked off his team a year later for attempting the same thing again.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
So almost like a reverse hit? If he low bridges you and takes your legs out it could be clipping, like something like this.

But if he's stopping up to absorb or reverse hit you it might a dick move but not necessarily illegal. I'd say be aware when he's on the ice and when you're defending him and if he tries it, hit him with a good force to knock him off stride or down and take the puck.

Sort of except the angle between our paths as we rushed to get the puck was more like 30 degrees, and he stopped and ducked directly in my path.

On a positive note, my play has improved quite a bit and he is showing more respect towards me. Even passes to me on occasion, and has the favour returned. As it should be of course.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
sittler rules: I know you didn’t suggest this, but I’m not the type to check people in our non checking scrimmages. I certainly don’t snort but I admit I do on ice fart something rotten at times. Noones perfect ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad