Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Musty is often to blame, not sure he's the blame here, or atleast it's a team/system failure.

Wolevs D in the corner has a north bay played pinned out, both Musty and the other wolves D(McCoy?) are trying to get sticks into the lane. Guy in front of the net who scores has two wolves closer to him then Musty. This is just the entire D-zone coverage breaking down. Where is the center on this play? 4 wolves players failed to cover 3 north bay players, that should not happen.

Everything is always Musty's fault in this thread though, Goyette and Dvorsky are equally guilty of being no-shows in terms of star players. DeAngelis has been an absolute travesty defensively. Coaching continues to be to blame.

We can agree to disagree, that's what makes this place great ultimately.

View attachment 853751
Where is Dvorsky, covering the backside of battalion D?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The stars(Musty, Goyette) both played much better defence last year under Derek MacKenzie, which is why I continue to bang the drum of this being a coaching problem. We've seen do it before, it's possible.
I don’t agree with this. Last season we learned that Goyette is not capable of playing centre effectively

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Should have hired Butler when the opportunity was there.
Coaching is an issue, it has been since another dinosaur named Foligno was unceremoniously let go. But you can’t really credit only the players for 30 minutes of great play and blame only the coach for 40+ minutes of poor play.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
leadership core out of touch, and this reflects on coaching, but players need to know what is on the line during the course of the game.

I believe it was less than 4 minutes left in game Goyette is tussling with Wakely behind net, instead of walking away and take the win. He is our captain and should be smart enough not get a penalty at that time. His penalty created momentum for NB, then this lead to other penalties right after. I see our players going up to Goyette when he was in box saying good job. shake my head.

we could have played 5 vs 5 with less than 4 minutes with a two goal lead, I like our chances. instead a Hugh stoppage of play, when we had momentum to close out game.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Imo if you’re putting the blame on anyone, look no further than in nets. You guys scored 5 goals last game. In 90% of games that will win you the game. Unfortunately you got 6 on you.

They are still playing their backup.

I thought this would be Vondras time to shine in the playoffs based off the first round but it doesn’t seem that’s going to happen.

7 games still you guys just gotta get the first one under your belt. Will be very hard to climb back but never say never. Kings came back on the sharks after being down in the series 3-0, in the nba the cavs came back on the warriors after being down 3-1. Last year Kitchener swept the 1 seed Windsor. Lots of crazy stuff happens in sports but if everyone is throwing in the towels already you don’t have a damn chance to pull off a miracle.

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Imo if you’re putting the blame on anyone, look no further than in nets. You guys scored 5 goals last year. In 90% of games that will win you the game. Unfortunately you got 6 on you.

I thought this would be Vondras time to shine in the playoffs based off the first round but it doesn’t seem that’s going to happen.

7 games still you guys just gotta get the first one under your belt. Will be very hard to climb back but never say never. Kings came back on the sharks after being down in the series 3-0, in the nba the cavs came back on the warriors after being down 3-1. Last year Kitchener swept the 1 seed Windsor. Lots of crazy stuff happens in sports but if everyone is throwing in the towels already you don’t have a damn chance to pull off a miracle.

2 on 1, breakaway, shorthanded breakaway, 5 on 3 PP, PP with two guys open in front of the net and OT winner with player uncovered in the slot. Vondras made some good saves on the other ridiculous chances against. It would be nice to get more saves but in no way, shape or form is this being pinned on Vondras. The team has to play better in the other areas of the ice and they have shown they are able to when they want to. We'll see how much pride and will the players have on Thursday

Reactions: dirty12

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I figured Sudbury would be the team to beat thinking their offensive firepower and experienced veteran roster could cover up the terrible goaltending.

Admittedly, I was watching the Oshawa/Ottawa game last night but it seems inconceivable how Sudbury could could come from ahead and lose after allowing ZERO shots on goal in an entire period having a three goal lead in the 3rd.

I still feel like Sudbury can make this a series - - win Game 4, steal Game 5 on the road and you know they’re winning Game 6 at home to force a winner take all Game 7 - - but that was a devastating loss last night.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Imo if you’re putting the blame on anyone, look no further than in nets. You guys scored 5 goals last year. In 90% of games that will win you the game. Unfortunately you got 6 on you.

Does anyone besides me believe the Wolves should start Krawchuk tomorrow?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
You need goal tending and it was not addressed at the trade deadline. You could put the Oilers out there in front of our tenders and they would probably lose. Papineau only had to make one critical move at the deadline and he watched other teams make moves and decided last minute it was his turn. Well Mr Papineau now you pay the piper.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
I think you have to give it a shot for sure. Maybe it sparks the guys
We can blame coaching, management, team defence, even Howler, but bottom line is the two V's have given up five, five, and six goals in this series.
The guys seem to like Nate and in my opinion seem to play tighter defensively in front of him.
I can't see a downside.
There really is no pressure on him.
Without doing something different, the series is over anyway.
Wolves have to win one!
And then the next one.....
And surely he can't be any worse than what has transpired so far.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
There are a countless number little things that should be addressed by the coaches but they failed to do so all season long. Coaches haven't set an example at any point. I think everyone on this forum would agree that shift duration has been a problem. When a kid is told to get to the bench but refuses an example has to be made of him. BUT, that has to happen in game 15 not the 3rd game of the 2nd round! Players would have taken notice if that was happening but it didn't. How can you change that culture now? This is just one example of the lack of coaching influence on this team. God help us next year unless we make some drastic changes. I don't have much hope for this season.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You need goal tending and it was not addressed at the trade deadline. You could put the Oilers out there in front of our tenders and they would probably lose. Papineau only had to make one critical move at the deadline and he watched other teams make moves and decided last minute it was his turn. Well Mr Papineau now you pay the piper.
It all comes down to this. I’m not sure how we could delude ourselves into thinking this team had a snowball’s chance in hell of going on a deep run with the goaltending situation.

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
First round U18 pick, Rowan Henderson

Would have thought they'd go afte a goalie after only drafting one in the OHL draft, but maybe they do with their second pick.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Third and final U18 pick , Paul Mazanik

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
No suspension on the hit, league is a joke. Wolves have any pushback left in them, you need to be finishing every check on Ertel.

And just win tonight. The Wolves pulled a Leafs last game choking away a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period. Don't let North Bay sweep you on Home ice. Hopefully Ken is getting a good nap in before puck drop.

#playoffswilltellthetale

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
And just win tonight. They pulled a Leafs last game choking away a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period. Don't let North Bay sweep you on Home ice. Hopefully Ken is getting a good nap in before puck drop.

#playoffswilltellthetale
Sadly, for better or worse, I don't think Ken can do anything now. It's on the players to overcome the shitty coaching they've had all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad