Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Last year, all the players that stepped up to address attitude issues with 27, 11,78 and 88 were all traded or let go.
@hockieguy

You came back to address your opinion on Nolan Newton, which was again wrong, but beside the point.

Why did you not address the above when asked which multiple players were shipped out last year for confronting Musty, Goyette, McCallum, Aninia about their attitude issues?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Hi all,

Tough end to the year but from an outside fan looking in the line of 88-27-51 will go down as one of the most potent in recent history.

I am thinking about making the permanent move to Sudbury as work is offering me an opportunity & hoping the cost of living is a little more easy?

Should be nice to get a new arena + entertainment venue.

Whats going to be the deal for n. newton when trade windows open back up

Welcome, cost of living I would say alot cheaper than down south, but housing and rent is climbing up in price here.

here's a good video.

Reactions: Wiserbud

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
@cub Thanks for the video. Hopefully some nice golf courses around ask Dario if he plays a round with the fans just like how we sits with them. Let him know I'm not only transitioning from colts to wolves but I'm also moving there to be the Dario Zulich 2.0 $$$$

@Pops You're on bud. Sudbury wolves best team in the O best colour scheme 2nd best logo

cheers everyone # 5 dollar beer brew!!

hopefully an okay house doesn't cost $700k in Sudbury

cub

Apr 11, 2012
@cub Thanks for the video. Hopefully some nice golf courses around ask Dario if he plays a round with the fans just like how we sits with them. Let him know I'm not only transitioning from colts to wolves but I'm also moving there to be the Dario Zulich 2.0 $$$$

@Pops You're on bud. Sudbury wolves best team in the O best colour scheme 2nd best logo

Yes, there some nice courses, Idylwylde, Timberwolf, Lively. Zulich family builds homes, you can find a solid home for $450,000 to $550,000. a $700k home would be a very nice place.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Yes, there some nice courses, Idylwylde, Timberwolf, Lively. Zulich family builds homes, you can find a solid home for $450,000 to $550,000. a $700k home would be a very nice place.
wow great and may I ask how far a 6-figure salary goes in Sudbury vs barrie or Toronto?

go wolves! tickets prob cheaper too!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

love the logo myself, I really prefer the green-white colour scheme. There are several nice jerseys in the league. I like all the original six knock-offs, Knights off-white, Petes' black, Battalion white, the IceDogs is by far my favorite.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
love the logo myself, I really prefer the green-white colour scheme. There are several nice jerseys in the league. I like all the original six knock-offs, Knights off-white, Petes' black, Battalion white, the IceDogs is by far my favorite.
Yes very iconic. would love to see the jerseys in high definition at the men cup one day. although I preferred the 2009-10 jerseys with the paw on the shoulder the most. the all blue & white with no silver. no green for me.

who is on everyone's Sudbury wolves Mount Rushmore? I've gotta have sgarbossa, goyette as 2 for sure

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
wow great and may I ask how far a 6-figure salary goes in Sudbury vs barrie or Toronto?

go wolves! tickets prob cheaper too!
depends on your tastes, expect 5K property tax for modest home in good location and slightly higher costs of transported goods off-set by comparatively cheap parking

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes very iconic. would love to see the jerseys in high definition at the men cup one day. although I preferred the 2009-10 jerseys with the paw on the shoulder the most. the all blue & white with no silver. no green for me.

who is on everyone's Sudbury wolves Mount Rushmore? I've gotta have sgarbossa, goyette as 2 for sure
Carlisle, Verbeek, J.Rivers after the epitome of a wolves' player Marcus Foligno

Last edited:
Reactions: Devin

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

As a Peterborough Petes fan my favourite Sudbury Wolves jersey was the original blue and silver that was introduced in 1988. They are my second favourite next to the traditional Petes maroon and white. My favourite Wolves were Paul DiPietro, Glen Murray, Derek Armstrong, Jason Young, Wade Bartley and Jamie Rivers.

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Through my discussions with Papineaus past, present and coaches that turned down this guy all said the same thing. HE dictates who gets played, who gets disciplined. These are all signs of an inexperienced, un knowledgeable and scared for their job GM.

Last year, all the players that stepped up to address attitude issues with 27, 11,78 and 88 were all traded or let go. So yes under normal circumstances, the coach runs the bench, the GM runs the trades, staffing and other management decisions.

This has never been present and that’s why Sudbury will never have a long term coach as it is a stepping stone for coaches in a holding pattern for NHL job, like Derek. It was the worst kept secret in circles, as many were told he was going to Vancouver or Nashville this year, I believe I said it on here and was laughed at.

Again, this team needs 2 goalie, 3 solid forwards and REAL character players that know when and how to be effective at their roles.

Next year is going to be the worst year of Papineaus tenure as his team is further riddle with holes. There are not enough extra picks to do anything, I also said that last year, and there is only one player that can be dealt unless you also trade away the player to build around and to start over. I hate to say it cuz I like the player and wouldn’t want him involved with the Wolves, he’s local too, but Nolan Newton from Barrie is the first player I would get for this team. Character in spades and has the work effort to set an example going forward. That’s were it begins, NOT 27.
You are assuming that Papineau is back next which isn’t a certainty.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
From what I read he was a call up with Barrie. He signed in November and played 13 games from early November until early December. He was likely playing as an affiliate player and could only play ten games he played 13 because some of those games would have been during the Under 17 Tournament so those games don’t count against the ten. I don’t think he quit the Colts he just was reassigned.
He left the Colts, at least for this season. Is still welcome back next year.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Hi all,

Tough end to the year but from an outside fan looking in the line of 88-27-51 will go down as one of the most potent in recent history.

Whats going to be the deal for n. newton when trade windows open back up?

PP potent yes. 5v5 a disaster. Most nights a minus line

Barrie is loaded with 06 forwards, they can expect much more than a mid round pick

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Just for a bit of fun, year in review of trades:

To Sudbury: 6th 2026, 12th 2027
To Saginaw: Will Bishop
B+, decent picks back for a guy who was not in the Wolves top 7 d-men at the time

To Sudbury: Nick DeAngelis, Trevor O'Dell
To Windsor: Conor Walton, 2nd 2024, 3rd 2025, 2nd 2026, 6th 2025, 15th 2025
B, at the time it looked like Toure was moving on and the wolves were desperate to fill the need of a top 4 d-man. I think DeAngelis delivered more then expected offensive, but was a bit underhwleming defensively, especially in the playoffs. All in all still a solid trade in my opinion

To Sudbury: 2nd 2027, 4th 2025, 6th 2027
To Kingston: Jakub Chromiak
A, given the situation I think everyone was expecting the wolves to get fleeced, they ended up getting way more then expected I think.

To Sudbury: Marcus Vandenberg
To Niagara: 3rd 2024, 3rd 2027
D, filled a need while Vondras was at the WJC, but was a subpar goalie, paid a big price for an absolute non-factor

To Sudbury: Donovan McCoy
To Peterborough: Caden Taylor, condition 4th
A+, the one deadline pickup who lived up to potential, and more. Would do this trade again every day of the week.

To Windsor: Djibril Toure
To Sudbury: 3rd 2027, 8th 2025
C, wolves were going to move an OA to make room for an "upgrade", I think everyone knew this, value was fine, but left a huge hole in terms of the physicality on this team.

To Sudbury: Zacharie Giroux
To Flint: 2x 2026 3rds
D, Giroux never quite got going between injuries and a lack of chemistry, with his lack of size was never able to get going in a couple physical playoff series as well

To Sudbury: Noah Van Vliet
To Brantford: Owen Protz, 2nd 2026, 2nd 2027, 3rd 2027
F-, this is a trade people should lose their job for. Wolves gave up the better, younger, more physical d-man in the deal, and somehow also gave up a treasure trove of picks. What were they thinking? Van Vliet ended up being a defensive d-man who they had to hide from other teams top lines in the playoffs because he was too slow and too soft to shut anyone down.

All in all, some wins, some losses, but given how many futures were given up, unacceptable results.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

B+, decent picks back for a guy who was not in the Wolves top 7 d-men at the time

B, at the time it looked like Toure was moving on and the wolves were desperate to fill the need of a top 4 d-man. I think DeAngelis delivered more then expected offensive, but was a bit underhwleming defensively, especially in the playoffs. All in all still a solid trade in my opinion

A, given the situation I think everyone was expecting the wolves to get fleeced, they ended up getting way more then expected I think.

D, filled a need while Vondras was at the WJC, but was a subpar goalie, paid a big price for an absolute non-factor

A+, the one deadline pickup who lived up to potential, and more. Would do this trade again every day of the week.

C, wolves were going to move an OA to make room for an "upgrade", I think everyone knew this, value was fine, but left a huge hole in terms of the physicality on this team.

D, Giroux never quite got going between injuries and a lack of chemistry, with his lack of size was never able to get going in a couple physical playoff series as well

F-, this is a trade people should lose their job for. Wolves gave up the better, younger, more physical d-man in the deal, and somehow also gave up a treasure trove of picks. What were they thinking? Van Vliet ended up being a defensive d-man who they had to hide from other teams top lines in the playoffs because he was too slow and too soft to shut anyone down.

All in all, some wins, some losses, but given how many futures were given up, unacceptable results.
Agreed! The Van Vilet trade blew up in their face. I didn't like it from the start. I just felt like two twos and a third should have been more than enough then. To add Protz to the deal who would be in your top 4 this upcoming season and would have been a perfect 5-6 guy this past year is an explosive mistake. He only played 6 games in Hamilton's playoff run. He wasn't a factor in their OHL win. Protz would have been what he was to us what Noah was for Hamilton. Young tough defensive defenceman.

Vandenburg also didn't bring much in. Papineau panicked. If he was to trade for a goalie he had to make it count. Papineau continuously missing on goaltending is getting old. Gaulton/Chucky could have been given a shot while Vondras was at WJC. They rushed the move because they were losing Vondras instead of waiting for the deadline to get a true number 1. Now we really don't know what we have next year. Giving up two thirds for 30 games in Vandy who was unproven is another huge swing and miss.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I would agree, overall the trades subtracted and did not add to this or to future years. Wish we could trade the coach. Now that might have had results.

Reactions: armchaircoaches

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017

Bottom line is
-Paps got fleeced on Van Vliet trade
- brutal traders flipping OA Toure for Giroux. Giroux was irrelevant while Toure was a presence with toughness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad