Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I feel like the Dunc hire could be better but also should be decent for what we need right now which is development of the young guys before our next window. Besides Stillman and Thompson we really have nothing next year, so if this team performs I think Dunc deserves praise.

there are certainly some very promising young forwards; but yeah, I don’t think Duncanson should bear the brunt of any blame for a lack of new banners in the near future. The point was, and is, the wolves had to settle at coach.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves have some very good young talent. It will be interesting to see how the draft picks in 2020 have developed over the past year and what kind of impact they will have this season. With that being said hopefully a guy like McCallum needs to take advantage of the ice time he will receive this year and prove he was worth his first round billing.

Another interesting development is the free agent forwards signed by the Kings yesterday. Will it impact Byfield securing a line up spot. The Wolves do stand the chance of getting him back maybe after the World Juniors.

Some teams have received commitments from their import picks. Curious to know if our GM can secure two of our protected import players. Will really help shore up some spots on this team for October. Seems the signings have been more difficult this time around.

WJ

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
there are certainly some very promising young forwards; but yeah, I don’t think Duncanson should bear the brunt of any blame for a lack of new banners in the near future. The point was, and is, the wolves had to settle at coach.
I wouldn't really call it settling, settling would have been Stortini; but yeah, not ideal. Let's see how it goes though

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wolves have some very good young talent. It will be interesting to see how the draft picks in 2020 have developed over the past year and what kind of impact they will have this season. With that being said hopefully a guy like McCallum needs to take advantage of the ice time he will receive this year and prove he was worth his first round billing.

Another interesting development is the free agent forwards signed by the Kings yesterday. Will it impact Byfield securing a line up spot. The Wolves do stand the chance of getting him back maybe after the World Juniors.

Some teams have received commitments from their import picks. Curious to know if our GM can secure two of our protected import players. Will really help shore up some spots on this team for October. Seems the signings have been more difficult this time around.

WJ
Byfield will be allowed to play in the AHL next year due to playing there this year, he definitely will not be here next year.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wouldn't really call it settling, settling would have been Stortini; but yeah, not ideal. Let's see how it goes though

I’ve stated before, I’m ok with the Duncanson hire; he has an extensive background in hockey and deep roots in Sudbury. It’s a good thing that the wolves got a coach that wants to be here. Let’s just not pretend that Duncanson was the preferred choice of any other OHL team, or that Sudbury was the preferred destination for any coach hired in the time since Stillman left the wolves.
I can say the wolves had to settle for a local coach, and another poster can rightly be disappointed that the wolves did not land a proven winner as coach.

Last edited:

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Comments from Scott Wheeler other athletic from recent teamcanada camp

Goyette’s effortless, flowing stride really captivated me. He’s a beautiful skater who catches and handles pucks at full speed, tries (and executes) things offensively with his hands and stays on the puck to make things happen inside the offensive zone. He looked like a first-rounder.

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Also from Wheeler

Thompson got his shots through and played his sturdy, physically engaged style. I’m not sure he’s strong enough in any one area to earn a roster spot

Wolfgang Puck

Jul 19, 2020
Will there be a rookie camp before the main camp and will spectators be allowed to watch?
Roster predictions? Surprise additions or subtractions?

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Will there be a rookie camp before the main camp and will spectators be allowed to watch?
Roster predictions? Surprise additions or subtractions?
Really rough but:

DeGrazia - Goyette - Stillman
Musty - McCallum - Delic
Tundra - Manikis - Konyen
Larmand - Assadourian - Biondi

Wild cards/roster threats: Mauro, Derbridge, Kronberg, Hollingsworth, Parker, Hardy, Simpson, Gillespie, Tuomaala, Jendek, (if we're REALLY LUCKY there's Red Savage)

Anania - Thompson
Ross - Kulonummi
Ribau - Robinson

Wild cards/roster threats: Collins, Mitchell, Farrow, Barone, Mania, Larkin, DiMaggio, Pineau

Lemaire
Morrow

Wild cards/roster threats: Dichow, Weeks, Rossi, McCarthy, Ramirez, Ross

Bolded players are imports or overagers.

I'd expect Collins on the roster for sure as one extra, so then bank on ~2-3 more of the wild cards. Hard to say for sure since these kids haven't really played. Personally I think we see Mauro, Collins, Gillespie and Farrow.

Reactions: Wolfgang Puck

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Really rough but:

Musty - McCallum - Delic

Wild cards/roster threats: Mauro, Derbridge, Kronberg, Hollingsworth, Parker, Hardy, Simpson, Gillespie, Tuomaala, Jendek, (if we're REALLY LUCKY there's Red Savage)

Anania - Thompson
Ross - Kulonummi
Ribau - Robinson

Wild cards/roster threats: Collins, Mitchell, Farrow, Barone, Mania, Larkin, DiMaggio, Pineau

Lemaire
Morrow

I'd expect Collins on the roster for sure as one extra, so then bank on ~2-3 more of the wild cards. Hard to say for sure since these kids haven't really played. Personally I think we see Mauro, Collins, Gillespie and Farrow.
You mean Trunda?

Last edited:

Wolfgang Puck

Jul 19, 2020
I think Goyette will be a stud in the future but at 153 lbs he might be in for a tough time this year like McCollum last year . I think Degrazia or McCollum could centre Musty and Stillman. Maybe pick up a big body like Owen Perala

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Really rough but:

Musty - McCallum - Delic

Anania - Thompson
Ross - Kulonummi
Ribau - Robinson

Lemaire
Morrow

you have Trunda & Kulonummi listed on the roster; have they signed with the wolves?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think Goyette will be a stud in the future but at 153 lbs he might be in for a tough time this year like McCollum last year . I think Degrazia or McCollum could centre Musty and Stillman. Maybe pick up a big body like Owen Perala
Goyette is already going to be 18, he'll be bigger than 153 ibs, teenage boys put on a ton of weight around that age.

Also, I think he and McCallum (or even Stillman if they want him as a C) are interchangeable in the top 6, just figured we wouldn't want an all rookie line.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Goyette is already going to be 18, he'll be bigger than 153 ibs, teenage boys put on a ton of weight around that age.

Also, I think he and McCallum (or even Stillman if they want him as a C) are interchangeable in the top 6, just figured we wouldn't want an all rookie line.

I think Goyette is growing just fine :) ... "Listed at 5-foot-10 and 152 pounds in April 2020, the talented centreman said he has grown an inch and added nearly 25 pounds to his frame."
‘I’m so pumped’ — after strong showing at Hockey Canada U18 camp, David Goyette can’t wait to get started with Wolves | Sudbury Star

Here's hoping Mauro is doing the same....

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Not necessarily.
Flyers Sign Samu Tuomaala
Tuomaala is not 1st round pick so Flyers has two options what to do.
1 Tuomaala stays NHL roster.
2 Loan to Oulun Kärpät SM liiga team.
Tuomaala is already signed SM liiga contract with Kärpät.

Edit
Here's copy and paste on that prohockeyrumors article of Tuomaala's situation
'' Tuomaala is already signed in Finland for next season and since he wasn’t a first-round selection, Philadelphia will have to either keep him on their NHL roster or send him back. Where that will be remains to be seen as he could go to Karpat or to OHL Sudbury who drafted him in the CHL Import Draft. The loan is almost certain to happen in which case his entry-level deal will slide a year meaning that Tuomaala will still have three years left on his contract this time next year''.

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Sounds like Philly plan to have Tuomaala play in North America this season. If that's the case, it really comes down to AHL if he's ready, or OHL. If somehow the stars align and Sudbury lands Tuomaala, it would be a huge win for Paps and the Wolves.

2 weeks to go! Countdown is on
Go Wolves Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad