Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Congrats to the Wolves and as someone earlier mentioned you had an extra unfair situation of losing out on Byfields real dominant season so hopefully this can make up for it a bit. However who do you pick and how much do you know about the player you pick? Real extra crapshoot this season you may still need a little bit of good luck your way yet.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves are going to have some interesting wildcards for next season.

On the OA front (2001's), two huge wildcards are Murray and Dichow. If Carolina doesn't sign Murray, he could return as one of the best OA's in the entire league. And things get very interesting with Dichow, he was signed by the Wolves, but would take up two spots OA/Euro. He could turn out to be one of the best goalies in the OHL next season. The other three potential OA's are Ross, Manikis and Weeks.

Some interesting wildcards with the 2002's. What kind of impact will Degrazia have. Two unsigned 02's that have some intrigue are Strickland and Beattie. Both could make the club out of camp if they decide to go the OHL route.

For the 2003's, Wolves hold the rights to two extremely high end guys in Tuomaala and Savage, but both seem highly unlikely to report. Goaltender Ramirez is a darkhorse if he chooses the OHL route, and Anania should become a staple on the backend.

The 2004's is an exciting group with promising upside. Goyette, Delic, Konyen, Collins all signed. Other names to watch are Morrow, Mauro, H. Simpson

Add in top end 2005 born forward Calum Ritchie to the mix, and I think if the Wolves can target a top end stud Dman with their 3rd overall pick in the upcoming CHL Import draft, the 2021/22 edition of the Sudbury Wolves is going to be a very talented and exciting team to watch.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wolves are going to have some interesting wildcards for next season.

On the OA front (2001's), two huge wildcards are Murray and Dichow. If Carolina doesn't sign Murray, he could return as one of the best OA's in the entire league. And things get very interesting with Dichow, he was signed by the Wolves, but would take up two spots OA/Euro. He could turn out to be one of the best goalies in the OHL next season. The other three potential OA's are Ross, Manikis and Weeks.

Some interesting wildcards with the 2002's. What kind of impact will Degrazia have. Two unsigned 02's that have some intrigue are Strickland and Beattie. Both could make the club out of camp if they decide to go the OHL route.

For the 2003's, Wolves hold the rights to two extremely high end guys in Tuomaala and Savage, but both seem highly unlikely to report. Goaltender Ramirez is a darkhorse if he chooses the OHL route, and Anania should become a staple on the backend.

The 2004's is an exciting group with promising upside. Goyette, Delic, Konyen, Collins all signed. Other names to watch are Morrow, Mauro, H. Simpson

Add in top end 2005 born forward Calum Ritchie to the mix, and I think if the Wolves can target a top end stud Dman with their 3rd overall pick in the upcoming CHL Import draft, the 2021/22 edition of the Sudbury Wolves is going to be a very talented and exciting team to watch.
Here's the current depth chart I have saved for the wolves:

I think Murray is gone, Phillips will definitely be gone, he's been great in the AHL, and I doubt Dichow reports as an OA, BUT Jack Thompson could win DMan of the year next year. We will be a very inexperienced team.

Something like this for me:

DeGrazia-Stillman-(import)
(Ritchie)-McCallum-Delic
Larmand-Goyette-Konyen
Mauro-Manikis-Biondi
(wildcard player/new draft pick)

Ross-Thompson
Anania-(import)
(draft pick)-Collins
Ribau

Weeks
Lemaire

We will be young, but exciting. The problem for us is we were setting up for this to be a big year after selling Murray/Ross/Phillips and co, but now we don't have experience. This should've been McCallum, Larmand and Stillmans 3rd years, and DeGrazia, Delic, Goyette, Konyen, Anania and Collins's 2nd years, but instead they're all behind by a year due to a lack of experience. If they change the OA rules for next year, we're in much better shape bc we can have Hutcheson, Robinson, Gilhula, Serentis and co helping these guys get experience. The Wolves suffered a lot due to a lack of game time this year, but that team is strong on the backend, they're just heavily inexperienced up front. IMO a lot depends on DeGrazia, but I believe he would've been a top 100 NHL draft pick if we had an OHL season, the guy is arguably one of the best NOJHL players in a while.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
^ that depth chart isn't perfect, but it's a rough idea of who we own rights to at each position

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
They will have the 3rd overall pick in the CHL Import draft and 1st overall in the U18 draft. What an exciting night

@Generalsupdates reporting Import draft order will be in reverse, so Sudbury picking last of the OHL teams

@Generalsupdates is this confirmed anywhere? Heard different last night they would keep same order for remaining drafts

Makes sense to have it reversed, to make it as fair as possible for all teams

Reactions: Generalsupdates

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
@Generalsupdates reporting Import draft order will be in reverse, so Sudbury picking last of the OHL teams

@Generalsupdates is this confirmed anywhere? Heard different last night they would keep same order for remaining drafts

Makes sense to have it reversed, to make it as fair as possible for all teams

U18 draft is being pulled on Twitter right now. London picking first. If the import draft is indeed reversed, that is rather unfortunate.

Wolves picking 6th in the U18 draft

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
As dissapointed as I am that my Hounds didn't pull the 1st overall, I am happy for Sudbury. This will offset the loss of Byfield

Reactions: cub

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Apparently Wolves aren't happy about the import draft, would've rather had the top OHL pick there than in the OHL entry draft, though obviously 1st in the entry draft is a great consolation

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Apparently Wolves aren't happy about the import draft, would've rather had the top OHL pick there than in the OHL entry draft, though obviously 1st in the entry draft is a great consolation
Given you're going to get a 16 year old for 3-4 years, vs an important for 1-2, seems like a silly thing to be mad about. Especially given the team likely is not in the shape to be a contender this year.

Reactions: yalbmert25

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Given you're going to get a 16 year old for 3-4 years, vs an important for 1-2, seems like a silly thing to be mad about. Especially given the team likely is not in the shape to be a contender this year.
That was my thought too, though I'd imagine it's more of an irritated at not having both thing

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Aside from possible OA seasons, does anyone know of other conditions on Lalonde and Purboo? Should we expect NB to return SBY ‘21-5th and the wolves to return GUE ‘21-2nd?
There might be quite a few conditions not met across the league due the cancelled season.

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Heard rumour they might go Pharand first overall, want to put local buttons in the seats..
God l hope not lm not saying Pharand isn't any good but 1st,? Top 5? I think my choice would be Colby Barlow, size speed, natural scoring ability

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Heard rumour they might go Pharand first overall, want to put local buttons in the seats..
God l hope not lm not saying Pharand isn't any good but 1st,? Top 5? I think my choice would be Colby Barlow, size speed, natural scoring ability

No way they go local first round. No way Jose

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Just wondering with the recent purge in Arizona if Stillman was part of it. Names rumoured to be interviewed did not include Stillman at this time. Could he be coming back to the Wolves?

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Just wondering with the recent purge in Arizona if Stillman was part of it. Names rumoured to be interviewed did not include Stillman at this time. Could he be coming back to the Wolves?

Yes, I was thinking the same.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Was wondering this too

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
No way should the Wolves consider bring him back.
We were nothing but a stepping stone to the NHL. Once Chase gets drafted and ages out for the OHL , then Cory will be gone again as there is no reason to stay in Sudbury.
Time to move on

Reactions: Iloveallsports

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves won't pass on Calum Ritchie at No.1 . Barlow sounds like an exciting sniper (kinda like McFarland did with size speed, natural scoring ability LOL) but Ritchie is the total package, offensively much better playmaker and gets rave reviews with his two way game and attention to detail in the D zone. Well safe to say the Wolves are licking their chops with the opportunity to draft this kid

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Nothing confirmed per this article on Stillman and the other coaching staff:
Coyotes, Rick Tocchet agree to part ways

"The status of Tocchet's assistant coaches, including Phil Housley, Cory Stillman and goaltending coach Corey Schwab, is to be determined. Stillman finished his first season on the bench, Housley his second and Schwab his sixth."

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->