Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think he'll still return that this year, remember we were supposed to have been going for it the last two years. Next year is a rebuilding year. The reason I added the or 03 option was due to the pick trading decrease, I think you'll see more 2nd year prospects traded i.e. for us a guy like Butler before he clearly flopped. In my mind I can see us flipping Phillips for something around Tanner Dickinson if not picks, he fits our window better while providing skill but not being overly valuable

If getting an ‘03, I hope it’s a D. The wolves used their top 3 picks on forwards in consecutive drafts where the first D selected was 4th round in ‘19 then 5th this past draft.
But in a pick based return for Phillips I’d expect 3–4-4* or 3-3-5*. For the 2-2-3* you suggest, the hounds would be better off getting the BPA OA who would be considerably better than Phillips this season.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
If getting an ‘03, I hope it’s a D. The wolves used their top 3 picks on forwards in consecutive drafts where the first D selected was 4th round in ‘19 then 5th this past draft.
But in a pick based return for Phillips I’d expect 3–4-4* or 3-3-5*. For the 2-2-3* you suggest, the hounds would be better off getting the BPA OA who would be considerably better than Phillips this season.

D12, you are a great poster. I can tell you know your stuff . That said I don’t fully agree with your stance in regards to the back end. I like the staffs philosophy on loading up on BFA with the first 3 picks in the last 2 drafts. If you go back to the 01 (2017) draft I think you’d be hard pressed to find 5 D drafted prior to Ross (63)and Philips (80 last pick in 4th)who are more valuable to their respective teams. For the 02 Draft paps and staff got a top 5 (arguably 3) D in the draft with a mid 2nd in Thompson. That’s also great value. Ribau at (78) is safe as he probably peaks as a 4-5 guy. No real steal or loss imo.

The 03 draft they were able to land Anania at (71 ) 4th. Dare I say he may end up being a top 10 D from that class? Too soon to say for sure but he had a hell of a Jr. A season (14 goals) as a 16 year old. And when I go through the D picked before him I Have Clarke, Delmastro (Who were not available), Matier, Enright, Holmes, Mailoux , Schmidt (May never come) as the players I for sure have ahead of him. After that I put him in the next tier. Robinson was a good dice roll at (97). What 03 did you have in mind via trade?

All I have ever heard about the 04 class is that it was thick on D. Again too early to say but the staffs track record the last 3 drafts has been second to none imo with getting good value after the 3rd. let’s hope that trend continues with the 04 class.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I honestly don’t view either of Phillips or Ross as top, top pairing types at 19.

I think that when the high drafted ‘03 & ‘04 F come of age that the D will be weak compared to the rest of the conference; and, I don’t see enough potential assets to add D (and goalie) when that time comes; unless, Papineau is willing to completely sell out the future.
Anania as the wolves 1st selected D in round 4 is fine considering Papineau made a significant investment the year prior selecting D in rounds 2 & 4; and the draft before, Branch selected two D in round 4 while not having a 2nd pick. That’s actually quite heavy over two drafts.
But I strongly believe the wolves should have taken a D this past draft in round 2, not the 5th round after not selecting a D until the 4th in ‘19. I guess that I just believe an OHL team should make one high pick on D every 2nd year to maintain a somewhat balanced roster.

Reactions: justawolfan

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I have been out of the loop for a bit. Have the OA' s been narrowed down? Are all expected to be at camp?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Fun question time:

If Byfield has played his last game in Sudbury, does he get his jersey retired? What if he returns this season? What would it take?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Did Barrie retire Svechnikov's number?
He also only played half a season, Byfield is arguably going to be the most important wolf at the least of this generation.

Regardless it was completely theoretical at a time without much to talk about

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
He also only played half a season, Byfield is arguably going to be the most important wolf at the least of this generation.

Regardless it was completely theoretical at a time without much to talk about
I think it's a worthy conversation, but the wolves have also shown little to no interest retiring the jerseys of any player who played after the mid 80s. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think it's a worthy conversation, but the wolves have also shown little to no interest retiring the jerseys of any player who played after the mid 80s. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

In that time, aside from J.Rivers has there been a wolves player worthy of having a retired jersey for what he accomplished in the OHL and/or after the OHL? Maybe Marcus Foligno for being all-time fan favourite?

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
In that time, aside from J.Rivers has there been a wolves player worthy of having a retired jersey for what he accomplished in the OHL and/or after the OHL? Maybe Marcus Foligno for being all-time fan favourite?

have to agree with the Rivers comment. What a player he was for the Wolves back in the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad