Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What round is everyone thinking he goes?

I initially though 6-7th but the reports on him have been more consistent and strong than any late round projected pick I can remember, I'm starting think maybe 5th round.

A last pick flier, imo; maybe a team that likes Phillips has multiple 5ths, and selects him there.

Reactions: hockeynorth

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
I see Byfield 2nd OA, Thompson R3, Phillips R5

Could be the case. Honestly if any other team were picking at #2 than LA, whose prospect pool is stacked at centre (Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Kupari, Dudas) and is in need of wingers, Byfield would go #2 IMO. Stutzle is such a perfect fit for what they need.

Byfield is then perfect for Ottawa at #3

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Could be the case. Honestly if any other team were picking at #2 than LA, whose prospect pool is stacked at centre (Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Kupari, Dudas) and is in need of wingers, Byfield would go #2 IMO. Stutzle is such a perfect fit for what they need.

Byfield is then perfect for Ottawa at #3
Agreed, I just don't think they pass him up ultimately. What a story Gabe Vilardi is though, holy! The kid might become my first true favourite hockey player. Thats a story of perseverance and will, I hope he becomes a star man, even if he did shun Sudbury.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Agreed, I just don't think they pass him up ultimately. What a story Gabe Vilardi is though, holy! The kid might become my first true favourite hockey player. Thats a story of perseverance and will, I hope he becomes a star man, even if he did shun Sudbury.

Yeah I'm really rooting for Vilardi. Worth noting he only shunned Sudbury because we cut his brother for Connor Burgess to keep the last roster spot. Was totally avoidable and 100% Sudbury's fault.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Yeah I'm really rooting for Vilardi. Worth noting he only shunned Sudbury because we cut his brother for Connor Burgess to keep the last roster spot. Was totally avoidable and 100% Sudbury's fault.
Yeah I know, just an unfortunate situation all around for that young man. To be fair I don't even think he was really in the wrong to refuse to report, you have to stand by your family and that's what he did. I'd love to see he and Byfield be line mates.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
LA would be wise to swap picks with Ottawa playing the Byfield card that they do or do not take him. Ottawa would have to add on some kind of compensation if they really want him that bad.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
LA would be wise to swap picks with Ottawa playing the Byfield card that they do or do not take him. Ottawa would have to add on some kind of compensation if they really want him that bad.

If Byfield is available at 3 sure but I don't see the Sens moving any additional assets to move up one spot, especially when you have Stuzle available at 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: justawolfan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What would be the asking price on Phillips (yes, I had previously said the Soo wouldn't be interested, but I am warming up to him).

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
What would be the asking price on Phillips (yes, I had previously said the Soo wouldn't be interested, but I am warming up to him).
I'd imagine decently high but I do expect we move him at the deadline, unless his NHL team says he's coming back for an OA year or Byfield is back, in which case we wouldn't dare move him. Probably something like the Candella return a few years ago. They're very high on him.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I was afraid of that. 2,3,3,3* is probably out of our price range then. We are probably shopping for closer to a Reagan O'Grady price (2,3,3*) I would imagine.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That's similar to the Owen Lalonde return - (17yo 3rd,2,2,2*,5*). Does that sound right for Phillips?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd think it's probably gonna end up at 2 + 2 + (3 or 03)

I think Phillips would have already been moved for an offer like that.
In addition to Covid uncertainty, this is year 1 of pick trading being limited to four years. I really think we’ve seen the end of 2nds being handed out like candy on Halloween.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think Phillips would have already been moved for an offer like that.
In addition to Covid uncertainty, this is year 1 of pick trading being limited to four years. I really think we’ve seen the end of 2nds being handed out like candy on Halloween.
I think he'll still return that this year, remember we were supposed to have been going for it the last two years. Next year is a rebuilding year. The reason I added the or 03 option was due to the pick trading decrease, I think you'll see more 2nd year prospects traded i.e. for us a guy like Butler before he clearly flopped. In my mind I can see us flipping Phillips for something around Tanner Dickinson if not picks, he fits our window better while providing skill but not being overly valuable

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Do you not? My bad
I personally like him but in my mind thought he was stuck on the greyhounds depth chart for some reason. Thought Phillips (probably a top pair D next year) would hold more value but I can see the logic for them being at least close. I was thinking Dickinson would be a good 2/3C for us behind Murray/Stillman next year and the year after, while Phillips likely fit your window better knowing you were gunning for the memorial next year. In my mind Dickinson is probably worth a 2nd + 3rd or 3 + 3 + 5 while Phillips is like a 2 + 2 + conditional 3

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Dickinson struggled to find a good fit in our lineup as a rookie 17 y/o, but still put up a very respectable 40 points in 64 games. Like many rookies, he lacked strength and defensive zone awareness, and struggled in the faceoff dot. However, these are typical of rookies in this league, and quite often these issues disappear in a sophomore season. Dickinson may explode this season into the first line winger point machine that we are missing on a contender. He plays the game at a faster speed than anyone else on the ice, and he showed promising signs that his hands and brain can keep up with his feet.

However, if he is still a year away from really breaking out, he doesn't fit as well into our one year window and we may look to move him. This in no way diminishes the value that he represents on the trade market. The Soo Brass are very high on him, so he may even turn out to be untouchable when it comes to potential trades.

67 DICKINSON TANNER 5-Mar-02 SAULT STE. MARIE OHL C
114 PHILLIPS ISAAK 28-Sep-01 SUDBURY OHL D
146 CHL players listed in NHL Central Scouting’s Final 2020 Draft Rankings – CHL

What is his value when compared to Phillips? With an extra year of eligibility, and ranked far higher in the upcoming draft, I suggest it is unequivocally higher.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Dickinson struggled to find a good fit in our lineup as a rookie 17 y/o, but still put up a very respectable 40 points in 64 games. Like many rookies, he lacked strength and defensive zone awareness, and struggled in the faceoff dot. However, these are typical of rookies in this league, and quite often these issues disappear in a sophomore season. Dickinson may explode this season into the first line winger point machine that we are missing on a contender. He plays the game at a faster speed than anyone else on the ice, and he showed promising signs that his hands and brain can keep up with his feet.

However, if he is still a year away from really breaking out, he doesn't fit as well into our one year window and we may look to move him. This in no way diminishes the value that he represents on the trade market. The Soo Brass are very high on him, so he may even turn out to be untouchable when it comes to potential trades.

146 CHL players listed in NHL Central Scouting’s Final 2020 Draft Rankings – CHL

What is his value when compared to Phillips? With an extra year of eligibility, and ranked far higher in the upcoming draft, I suggest it is unequivocally higher.
Fair enough! Thanks for the intelligible response!

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.10.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.09.56 PM.png

You can see here it does depend on your source, many have Phillips ranked higher as well! I think each respective team is high on their own guy, and it'd really depend on how each perform. I can see Dickinson being untouchable though from a Soo perspective in which case like I said picks would make sense, or perhaps pick + a guy like Watson or Halushak (or someone younger)

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->