Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Danny Zhikin - 14th overall - 6 points
Jon-Randall Avon - 11th overall - 6 points
Deni Goure - 10th overall - 9 points

I don't believe it's that black and white. All of the above were picked before Landon and although they have slightly more points then him would you consider that those guys aren't first rounders? Chase Stillman is outscoring all of those guys! Does that mean we should consider him being a top 10 pick? He's 7th in scoring...

Lots of people wanted us to take Sirizzotti who's played a total of 8 games this year.

Just saying,

You're drafting a guy for his 3rd year, not his 1st year

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Re: McCallum, it's a good thing we got him in round 1 and Stillman in round 2. There were nepotism worries and such, but you can see why there was a debate about Stillman initially being thought of in round 1. He is legitimately a 1st round talent, and not being allowed to trade him this year is a godsend.

That's no knock on McCallum. I've liked alot of what I've seen from him and I think he'll be a very good 18/19 year old in this league and should become an NHL pick down the line. If we decide to move him for an impact forward though, so be it I guess.

Even if Stillman was our first round pick and we could in theory trade him I don't think we would. We would just have less assets to move.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I 100% agree! I'm making the same point but in a different way. I responded to a comment saying that most teams don't view McCullum as an actual 1st round pick.

Oh okay. Ya wont really know until the tail end of his 2nd season and then full 3rd year. A lot of guys do nothing in their 1st year then grow physically and dominate and get drafted

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Exactly, but McCallum couldn't be moved if he wasn't selected first so this could have been a very sly decision by Paps.

nobody was touching Stillman’s kid unless the wolves pushed their luck by passing with their early 2nds. The wolves had their choice of several worthy of a 1st round pick. Obviously they liked MacCallum’s game and knew he would report.

Horseman

Nov 13, 2016
Coach sure seems to be favouring his son. Stillman getting prime minutes with two overs Agers and power play. Guess that’s the way it works these days with a 16 year old rookie

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Coach sure seems to be favouring his son. Stillman getting prime minutes with two overs Agers and power play. Guess that’s the way it works these days with a 16 year old rookie

I wouldn't look into like that, Stillman is the only true RW, aside from Gilhula and Manikas on team. Also Stillman is producing, Stillman was playing on third line most of year with Hutchinson, Carson I believe. Gilhula out makes everyone move up ladder on right side.

Reactions: hockeynorth

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I wouldn't look into like that, Stillman is the only true RW, aside from Gilhula and Manikas on team. Also Stillman is producing, Stillman was playing on third line most of year with Hutchinson, Carson I believe. Gilhula out makes everyone move up ladder on right side.

While I do agree with you, Stillman is an absolute giveaway machine. Luckily he can shoot the puck, but he'll definitely have to work on the rest of his game.

I honestly don't think our defence is that bad.... Many of the goals tonight were savable.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
While I do agree with you, Stillman is an absolute giveaway machine. Luckily he can shoot the puck, but he'll definitely have to work on the rest of his game.

I honestly don't think our defence is that bad.... Many of the goals tonight were savable.

didn’t get to watch the game so I’m asking. We’re Stillman’s turnovers on the PP?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
didn’t get to watch the game so I’m asking. We’re Stillman’s turnovers on the PP?
The last month or so in general. No single instance, Just consistently 6-7 turnovers from holding on to the puck too long per game. I'm sure he'll come around, he really reminds me of Nick Foligno as a rookie. Trying to do too much himself, lots of giveways, but obviously talented.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

To be honest never noticed giveaways have to keep eye on it. What I noticed is he works hard every shift, needs to get stronger, and skating could be a little better. He seems to be a pretty smart player and has bright future, I believe he will develop into a real good player for the Wolves.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
The last month or so in general. No single instance, Just consistently 6-7 turnovers from holding on to the puck too long per game. I'm sure he'll come around, he really reminds me of Nick Foligno as a rookie. Trying to do too much himself, lots of giveways, but obviously talented.

Same here he reminds me so much of N. Foligno in his rookie year. And Foligno was 17, Chase is 16. Stillman is going to be a stud for this team up front. Foligno got 38 points his rookie year at 17 years old. Stillman is on pace for very similar at 16 years old. Foligno went on to be an NHL 1st round pick and it will be interesting watching Chase develop into an NHL drafted prospect

Reactions: hockeynorth

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
In a few weeks we will see how it all shakes down. Papineau knows the holes in the top 6, the D and in net. Question remains if he will be able to address all three. A very tall order.

This Wolves forum will crucify him if he doesn't address all mentioned. Fairly or unfairly.

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
To be honest never noticed giveaways have to keep eye on it. What I noticed is he works hard every shift, needs to get stronger, and skating could be a little better. He seems to be a pretty smart player and has bright future, I believe he will develop into a real good player for the Wolves.
To be honest, to not notice the give aways makes me question what you are watching. It is the most consist thing he does. I think he is going to be a really good player and yes he can score however he is getting more opportunities then he should be getting at times during games especially when games are really close. JMO.

Reactions: djscooter

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
The Wolves can score, this is not their issue. They have a hole in net, bad defence and trouble on their 3rd and 4th lines. Adding someone to play with Byfield is a nice option, but really won't help this team. The Wolves need help in net and their defence. And a couple of good defensive minded players.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
To be honest, to not notice the give aways makes me question what you are watching. It is the most consist thing he does. I think he is going to be a really good player and yes he can score however he is getting more opportunities then he should be getting at times during games especially when games are really close. JMO.

HockeyHell=jwu, I watch a lot, if losing battles in corners are give aways that's your interpretation. I see passes from many players that get intercepted but it doesn't get called out, just some people want to start the coach and son debate, it was a matter of time. You're not using your burner account I see anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->