Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The silence is frustrating. I’m dying for a move before camp. I wish there were more rumours floating around about us.

Might not be any movement until the first month of the season. When teams know what their moving out. Players at NHL camps etc

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I feel like Tampa want Lipanov in the AHL, but want camp to start first so they can have a look at him and see if he's ready. If not, I feel like we'll find out too late to get anything for him. I think all signs are pointing to Lukkonen and Malik being the imports this year so Lipanov would have to be released by opening day IIRC.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Bud Stefanski assistant coach
Bit frustrating that they ommit the fact he's Cory Stillman's father-in law. Between the Malik Saga, all the Carolina connections and now this, its a touch worrying. We'll see how the product is on the ice though.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Bit frustrating that they ommit the fact he's Cory Stillman's father-in law. Between the Malik Saga, all the Carolina connections and now this, its a touch worrying. We'll see how the product is on the ice though.

Why a worry? Just win baby...

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Why a worry? Just win baby...
I agree, if we win it's all good. Just watching them take a 19 year old 3rd overall in the import draft, so they can seemingly leave themselves open to draft the younger Malik next year. Continuing to keep hires in this Carolina/Stillman pool. I want the best possible options. If we continue to hand things out based on family lineage it makes the current squad no better then Burgess.

With that said, much like you've said, if we win, nothing else matters.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I agree, if we win it's all good. Just watching them take a 19 year old 3rd overall in the import draft, so they can seemingly leave themselves open to draft the younger Malik next year. Continuing to keep hires in this Carolina/Stillman pool. I want the best possible options. If we continue to hand things out based on family lineage it makes the current squad no better then Burgess.

With that said, much like you've said, if we win, nothing else matters.
To be fair, Malik’s younger brother is pretty good.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
To be fair, Malik’s younger brother is pretty good.
Which would be great, though it does worry me, if they aim to compete in Byfield's last year(likely next year) building around a 17 year old rookie goalie seems like a rough go. A long ways off regardless though. Bring on training camp!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
well interesting pick as Assistant Coach in Bud Stefanski, hard to deny his resume, even though it is father in law. I'm not really a fan of hiring relatives, but I don't mind this at all, Bud Stefanski is well known in hockey world coached in the OHL and scout for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He could also act more of mentor to Cory Stillman in developing him into the next level of coaching.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Now concentrate on finding an adequate goaltending coach which should be a priority at this point

Reactions: cub

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I have no issue with the assistant coach hiring. He is more than experienced and deserving of the job. The Hunters are related and no one would argue what they have accomplished. It would be different if they hired cousin Bob who didn't know anything. This hire is a good one, related or not.

Reactions: bigtimefan and cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
NA Central Scouting‏ @MarkSeidel 4h4 hours ago
DT: Having just completed the Under 15 POE in Sudbury as the Director of Operations for Team NOHA, I can let the world know that this 2003 group in Northern Ontario is the deepest for the OHL Draft in at least 15 years. There are some stars & great depth! @NOHAHockey @OHFHockey

Stillman's son leads that list. Only question remaining is which round do they make that pick.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I have to admit about being excited for the draft that management stated was a good one, the euro tender coming, Byfield etc. However i'm still somewhat guarded.

I remember distinctly last season so much excitement was generated in this board about training camp and if we added this player,and that player we would have have a good season. What happened, totally opposite.

This year I'm going in with an open mind. Will I be excited for training camp,yes but I need to holster my expectations until I see them fair well against the opposition.

I won't let myself get to high or two low. Until I see how they do against other teams not just themselves, I'll be careful with judgement.

After looking at the potential roster, I see a few if's. How long do you go with the same core on the backend. Is it enough. Will our third year players step-up. A few unanswered questions like most teams I assume.

Last edited:

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Use to watch Buddy back in his younger days when he played for the South Porcupine Gold Kings. Hope he fits in well. And yes I am younger than him

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I wouldn't let the fact that Cory's father-in-law is on board. His credentials are good. The Hunter's in London are brothers but also Rick Steadman is their nephew and Dylan is Dale's son. Rick Steadman coached elsewhere and has been good in London and Dylan was a Knights Captain and played AHL and they both have Memorial Cup rings as coaches. They also have former Knight Brandon Prust helping out with forwards as well. There is diddly squat wrong with having family as long as they are sound hockey people above and beyond family.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I have to admit about being excited for the draft that management stated was a good one, the euro tender coming, Byfield etc. However i'm still somewhat guarded.

I remember distinctly last season so much excitement was generated in this board about training camp and if we added this player,and that player we would have have a good season. What happened, totally opposite.

This year I'm going in with an open mind. Will I be excited for training camp,yes but I need to holster my expectations until I see them fair well against the opposition.

I won't let myself get to high or two low. Until I see how they do against other teams not just themselves, I'll be careful with judgement.

After looking at the potential roster, I see a few if's. How long do you go with the same core on the backend. Is it enough. Will our third year players step-up. A few unanswered questions like most teams I assume.

Mad respect for this take, however I have a different view on this season.

I was one of the fools who went into last year's training camp thinking we'd improve on the year prior, and was so wrong its embarrassing. I fully understand however why I was wrong, and hindsight shows me why I should've seen the struggles coming. I dont see very many similarities between our situation going into camp this year, so I'm not only feeling good, but also confident about that feeling remaining throughout the year as well.

I think we've taken the right approach, I think our dmen who were there last year will all return improved from last year (though we need another vet to replace Rhodes), and of course having Byfield up front and UPL in net is plenty of reason for excitement.

I also think Blake Murray puts up a season to remember and ends up being a top 10 pick in next summer's NHL draft, something we desperately need to prove to young players we can still develop players like we used to.

Last edited:

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Wolves' training camp info:
Wolves Announce Training Camp & Ticket Details – Sudbury Wolves

I figured the Blue & White game was going to be Thursday evening due to the Friday exhibition game, but there are actually 2 games - Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Don't think I've seen that in my time in Sudbury.

Tuesday August 28th
1:00PM – 2:00PM – Grey Practice
2:15PM – 3:45PM – Blue & White Scrimmage
6:45PM – 7:45PM – Blue Practice
8:00PM – 9:30PM – White vs Grey Scrimmage
Wednesday August 29th
9:00AM – 10:30AM – Grey vs Blue Scrimmage
10:30AM – 11:30AM – White Practice
12:00PM – 1:00PM – Goalie Practice
4:00PM – 6:00PM – Blue vs White Game #1
Thursday August 30th
9:00AM – 11:00AM – White vs Blue Game #2

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Any thoughts on where Bulitka is going to slot into the lineup this year?
This kid is under utilized imo. He is not a flashy dynamic player but very solid. Agree with above poster, I think he stays. I think Stillman sees his value. Having said that, any of the 99 forwards could be part of a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad