Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Congrats to wolves what a difference that anchor in net makes! And of course you’re 16 yr old stud!! Fun team to have tour the ohl for sure glad he reported to Sudbury

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The MVP of the OHL to date has to be Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. Pretty impressive to come to a new country and settle in so quickly. If he continues to play at this level the Wolves will be dangerous.
Now I k
If you can't beat him high, your going to have a long night.
Right and even then you better have a screen or deflection.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Congrats to wolves what a difference that anchor in net makes! And of course you’re 16 yr old stud!! Fun team to have tour the ohl for sure glad he reported to Sudbury
Cheers. Wolves and Beer fest in Kitchener...would have been a good one to be there for. Two of my favourite things.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm thankful for Ukko.
Absolutely. MVP by far. Perhaps I was right when I suggested they brought Ukko in not so much with a view towards going all out this year but rather to help stabilize a young team and help them learn how to win. I’m sure Paps was well aware of our shortcomings in net last year. Good on him.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Absolutely. MVP by far. Perhaps I was right when I suggested they brought Ukko in not so much with a view towards going all out this year but rather to help stabilize a young team and help them learn how to win. I’m sure Paps was well aware of our shortcomings in net last year. Good on him.
IMHO as a Ranger fan without him in net, the Rangers would've won by at least 2 maybe 3. Great to see for the great fans of Sudbury!!!!

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Murray was the number one star today.

Ok lets get a few things straight here.

-Without Ukko we know that we would have not won at least three games. That I'm sure we can all agree on. He is giving the Wolves a chance to win every night. And thats great!

-As for those continuing to criticize my thought on trading a Murray for a couple of vets is not because of his shortcomings but rather the idea that to get something in return you need to give up something. Where some of you don't comprehend this is beyond me. However with that being said. Murray has not led in the 8 games as I have expected him to in his draft season. Not even in pre-season did I think he controlled the play. It's my observation that I believe he is somewhat overrated as some make him out to be. If you watched the game yesterday aside from the overtime goal I thought he was rather quiet and ineffective most of the game. Something is starting to make me think that if he isn't in the clear he can't make things happen. Murray has a great shot but his lack of intensity, fight for puck possession is worrisome. His 2 on 1 opportunity with Levin he took a low percentage shot. Noticed the Wolves put Levin on his line at various times in the game to see if they could get him more chances. Several people I know are witnessing the same. He has all the tools and if he plays at a different level and it would make the team much more of a threat.

-Phillips and Thompson continue to impress with each game. Phillips is becoming so comfortable carrying the puck. Been quite impressed with him. Good size, speed, mix of aggressiveness and offensive potential.

-Best game Peter Stratis played in a Wolves uniform. If they can get him to play that way every night wow will he be strong for us by seasons end. First star in my books yesterday!

-The big line has been stymied however they play other teams top lines on the road. So they will bust out in time. We need Carson to score and he's getting lots of chances.

-Nizninkov is doing what he needs to do. He is skating and not watching and forcing the play which is creating turnovers and chances. He has been most improved at this point.

-Hutchison/Tabek/McConville keep them together all year. Finally they are getting ice time and staying together long enough to get the chemistry working. They are being rewarded on the scoresheet. I hope when Gilhula returns that he doesn't slide him in on this line.

Lime combos should be;

Levin Byfield Carson
Nizninkov Murray Robinson
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Hutchison Tabek McConville
Gilhula/Eschweiler

Defence will become interesting once Wawrow and Malik are healthy,

Ross Stratis
Candella Serentis
Philips Thompson
Malik Wawrow

I think O'Bonsawin should be sent down once Pilon is healthy. And Frappier dealt as well. McGrath will need to remain when Ukko is gong for a month for the WJC.

But I will stand by my original thought of dealing to get a Paquette and a top end forward to really make this team strong. With Ukko I really believe we need to make this team as strong as possible. Its not everyday you get a world class goalie that is only going to be around for one year. Argue all you want but I think I echo the same thoughts of some people I know.

WJ

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

-Without Ukko we know that we would have not won at least three games. That I'm sure we can all agree on. He is giving the Wolves a chance to win every night. And thats great!

-As for those continuing to criticize my thought on trading a Murray for a couple of vets is not because of his shortcomings but rather the idea that to get something in return you need to give up something. Where some of you don't comprehend this is beyond me. However with that being said. Murray has not led in the 8 games as I have expected him to in his draft season. Not even in pre-season did I think he controlled the play. It's my observation that I believe he is somewhat overrated as some make him out to be. If you watched the game yesterday aside from the overtime goal I thought he was rather quiet and ineffective most of the game. Something is starting to make me think that if he isn't in the clear he can't make things happen. Murray has a great shot but his lack of intensity, fight for puck possession is worrisome. His 2 on 1 opportunity with Levin he took a low percentage shot. Noticed the Wolves put Levin on his line at various times in the game to see if they could get him more chances. Several people I know are witnessing the same. He has all the tools and if he plays at a different level and it would make the team much more of a threat.

-Phillips and Thompson continue to impress with each game. Phillips is becoming so comfortable carrying the puck. Been quite impressed with him. Good size, speed, mix of aggressiveness and offensive potential.

-Best game Peter Stratis played in a Wolves uniform. If they can get him to play that way every night wow will he be strong for us by seasons end. First star in my books yesterday!

-The big line has been stymied however they play other teams top lines on the road. So they will bust out in time. We need Carson to score and he's getting lots of chances.

-Nizninkov is doing what he needs to do. He is skating and not watching and forcing the play which is creating turnovers and chances. He has been most improved at this point.

-Hutchison/Tabek/McConville keep them together all year. Finally they are getting ice time and staying together long enough to get the chemistry working. They are being rewarded on the scoresheet. I hope when Gilhula returns that he doesn't slide him in on this line.

Lime combos should be;

Levin Byfield Carson
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Gilhula/Eschweiler

Ross Stratis
Candella Serentis
Philips Thompson
Malik Wawrow

I think O'Bonsawin should be sent down once Pilon is healthy. And Frappier dealt as well. McGrath will need to remain when Ukko is gong for a month for the WJC.

But I will stand by my original thought of dealing to get a Paquette and a top end forward to really make this team strong. With Ukko I really believe we need to make this team as strong as possible. Its not everyday you get a world class goalie that is only going to be around for one year. Argue all you want but I think I echo the same thoughts of some people I know.

WJ
Wolfman I like the way Murray plays. Please have your GM give McKenzie a call here in K-Town. No problem. We will take him off your hands:naughty: Also Stratis. This kid was the best player on the Wolves last night in Kitchener.

Reactions: WolvesFan

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolfman I like the way Murray plays. Please have your GM give McKenzie a call here in K-Town. No problem. We will take him off your hands:naughty: Also Stratis. This kid was the best player on the Wolves last night in Kitchener.

Not a problem. But he's calling for V on defence and D up front. I really like the way they play! So have your GM answer his phone please. btw I thought Stratis was the best player on the ice yesterday. So were not that far off haha.

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

The bolded parts of your post is what bugs me, because you keep going on about how overrated he is, but if that is truly the case, then why would you have expected him to be such a big leader on this team?

As for the rest of it, I think this is why I say things like "pump the breaks"

Through 8 games, Murray has not been as dynamic as I thought he'd be to start the year, I'll concede that. He did show last year however that he is a good decision maker, a workhorse on both ends of the ice, and has the ability to make others around him (ie. the twins) better. Remember at the end of last year he was on the PP1 unit and even spent time on the PK. He was playing both ends of the ice very well. He was the first one in the corner after every puck, the effort was unbelievable. He had 21 goals and 44 points in 57 games as a 16 year old, playing half of the season with less than stellar offensive players. We haven't seen that yet (after only 8 games) this year, however most of us here seem to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... as again it's only been 8 games. I think to write Murray off so early and not expect that he'll come back and progress further from his strong rookie season is about as much an overreaction as it would be to believe the Wolves will remain the #1 team in the OHL all season, lol.

I think it's worth noting that he played much better on this road trip by everyone else's accounts who watched the games (I admittedly only listened to the audio of the game Friday night) than he did in the first 5 games. He'll be fine.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Also I apologize to anyone who may have already mentioned it, but a quick shoutout to Dominik Kahun who has cracked the Blackhawks' roster and has 2 points in his first 3 NHL games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Lime combos should be;

Levin Byfield Carson
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Gilhula/Eschweiler

Ross Stratis
Candella Serentis
Philips Thompson
Malik Wawrow

WJ

Adding a top pairing D or top six RW would be great. But trading Murray is not the way to do it, imo. With Hutcheson, Tabak, Murray, and Bulitka all being left shots; I think Carson is the expandable piece that can return enough picks to use toward a more needed D or RW; and, that move would also open a spot for an OA D for next season. One or two of the current bottom four of eight D would also have to go if acquiring a top D for this season.
If Carson is removed, Murray can play LW with Levin & Byfield. Bulitka can get more minutes playing between the twins.

Reactions: justawolfan and WaW

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Adding a top pairing D or top six RW would be great. But trading Murray is not the way to do it, imo. With Hutcheson, Tabak, Murray, and Bulitka all being left shots; I think Carson is the expandable piece that can return enough picks to use toward a more needed D or RW; and, that move would also open a spot for an OA D for next season. One or two of the current bottom four of eight D would also have to go if acquiring a top D for this season.
If Carson is removed, Murray can play LW with Levin & Byfield. Bulitka can get more minutes playing between the twins.

We have a right winger in Owen Gilhula, did you give up on him? :):):):)

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018
They split up the big line mid game to give Murray some help and he ended up having his best game of the season when he was with Pilon and Levin. Shocker that he plays better when he actually plays with a skilled linemate like Levin! I like the idea of Byfield/Carson and Murray/Levin as it gives us 2 dangerous lines or switch Carson/Levin and it is the same effect.

They went with these lines a lot 2nd half of the game and it worked very well:
Hutcheson Byfield Carson
Pilon Murray Levin

Nizhnikov and Tabak had good games and I also really like Eschweiler. Think he's an underrated player on this team. Great speed.. really good on the forecheck. He plays well with Bulitka. On defence, continue to be impressed by Phillips/Thompson, and as another poster said Stratis had a great game last night as well. Looked really dangerous rushing the puck.

Last thing, I really don't agree that Carson is expendable. In my opinion he's one of the most important players on the team who will be relied on next year too, not to mention I think he should be Captain. What a great start to the season!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The bolded parts of your post is what bugs me, because you keep going on about how overrated he is, but if that is truly the case, then why would you have expected him to be such a big leader on this team?

As for the rest of it, I think this is why I say things like "pump the breaks"

Through 8 games, Murray has not been as dynamic as I thought he'd be to start the year, I'll concede that. He did show last year however that he is a good decision maker, a workhorse on both ends of the ice, and has the ability to make others around him (ie. the twins) better. Remember at the end of last year he was on the PP1 unit and even spent time on the PK. He was playing both ends of the ice very well. He was the first one in the corner after every puck, the effort was unbelievable. He had 21 goals and 44 points in 57 games as a 16 year old, playing half of the season with less than stellar offensive players. We haven't seen that yet (after only 8 games) this year, however most of us here seem to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... as again it's only been 8 games. I think to write Murray off so early and not expect that he'll come back and progress further from his strong rookie season is about as much an overreaction as it would be to believe the Wolves will remain the #1 team in the OHL all season, lol.

I think it's worth noting that he played much better on this road trip by everyone else's accounts who watched the games (I admittedly only listened to the audio of the game Friday night) than he did in the first 5 games. He'll be fine.

You know what bugs me about your post? That you failed to read my entire post.
1. I never wrote him off

2. I said you need to give up something of value to get value in return thats how the league works. Look at the first rounders dealt last year. Ladd, Dunkley, Morgan etc...

3. Its my opinion that the Wolves need to load up this year by getting a solid vet up front and on the backend. Especially with having Ukko here for one year. Remember what i'm saying here its my opinion.

4. I don't think Murray is playing up to his potential and I don't think he is as good as people think he is. Similar to when McFarland was our number 1 pick. Everyone forgot about McFarland pretty quick when Sgarbossa joined the roster.

5. I expected him to lead more offensively but I see that maybe last year playing with some vets really boasted his numbers. Here we are 1/7 of the season gone and IMO I don't see him being strong enough to be considered a really high NHL draft pick. Yes drafted but not high IMO

6. I think we drafted well enough last year that we will have enough forwards to fill the gaps next season. Butler, McAllister, Labelle, Smith, Tiveron along with another 1st and 2nd rounder in 2019 we can address any void left behind in a deal involving Murray for some vets that will provide a very strong season and deep playoff run this year.

7. Its only a thought. The Wolves management are high on Murray and this is a fan forum with insight from people around the OHL. Take it with a grain of salt. You sound particular upset and have been since my first post on this suggestion which 99.9% will go no where. But junior hockey is funny and the Wolves will need to make decisions at some point if they continue to win hockey games. The current line up will not go that far into the playoffs since we are heavily relying on strong goaltending. We have a very fragile defence with a lot of inexperience and also our forwards are not tearing up the scoresheet by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't think we will sustain this pace without some additions to help solidify things and generate some balance from the goaltending out. Right now it goaltending 55% strength defence 15% and forwards 30%.

Hope this makes things as clear as possible for you. Don't know how clearer I need to explain myself.

If OwenSound called tomorrow and said we will give Phillips and Suzuki for Murray, Wawrow, Gilhula, Bowie, 2nd, 3rd you wouldn't do it?

WJ

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
They split up the big line mid game to give Murray some help and he ended up having his best game of the season when he was with Pilon and Levin. Shocker that he plays better when he actually plays with a skilled linemate like Levin! I like the idea of Byfield/Carson and Murray/Levin as it gives us 2 dangerous lines or switch Carson/Levin and it is the same effect.

They went with these lines a lot 2nd half of the game and it worked very well:
Hutcheson Byfield Carson
Pilon Murray Levin

Nizhnikov and Tabak had good games and I also really like Eschweiler. Think he's an underrated player on this team. Great speed.. really good on the forecheck. He plays well with Bulitka. On defence, continue to be impressed by Phillips/Thompson, and as another poster said Stratis had a great game last night as well. Looked really dangerous rushing the puck.

Last thing, I really don't agree that Carson is expendable. In my opinion he's one of the most important players on the team who will be relied on next year too, not to mention I think he should be Captain. What a great start to the season!
No to mention Carson along with Levin will be our two overagers next season!

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We have a right winger in Owen Gilhula, did you give up on him? :):):):)

No. He still has his age 18,19, & 20 seasons ahead of him. It really is not uncommon for higher picks to break out.
All of last season and off-season, Levin was a bust; now at 19, he is the guy to get the most out of Murray or Byfield..

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Yeah, and Murray is overrated because he might not be a 1st round NHL pick? Most OHL kids don’t peak at 17
Read my post above! Also its Junior hockey. 4 Years dude is the usually max. If you do something. The Wolves management gave up on Connelly a former first round pick of theirs in his second year. So to say that to a forum fan is humorous. You know how many kids were given up on at 17, 18, 19 over the years. The competition is deep and the longer a player goes without doing anything to make the team better he is gone. Its a business as well so you think they don't want to ice the best team possible. Look at London, Kitchener, Windsor over the years. Heck even the SSM. They dealt Fowler last year to get Sambrook and Raddysh. Does anyone know how this league works anymore in Sudbury?

WJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad