Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The refs let both teams play for almost a full game ( OT) without calling anything. I don't see that as bad reffing. At some point they were going to call a penalty and a 2 handed tomahawk slash is a little hard to ignore. Too bad it ended on that PP but it took nearly 2 games for the 67"s to win this so be proud Wolves fans.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The refs let both teams play for almost a full game ( OT) without calling anything. I don't see that as bad reffing. At some point they were going to call a penalty and a 2 handed tomahawk slash is a little hard to ignore. Too bad it ended on that PP but it took nearly 2 games for the 67"s to win this so be proud Wolves fans.
2 handed tomahawk slash?

Is it 4/20 already?

Reactions: WaW

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe I'm a complete idiot but I think Ottawa celebrating like they just won a championship, piling on each other, fist pumping, some crowd taunting was pretty classless. Maybe I'm old-school but I didn't see a need to show up a team who just put out a great effort and took you to the limit. I know it was an emotional game but still after that cheap call to linger on the ice I don't know it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like I said pretty classless. For a team supposedly filled with so many guys are going to be pro one day...classless and cheap.

Setting aside the cheap call they played an amazing game. Ukko was a beast and Byfield Is going to be the best player in the league next year in my opinion. To be playing the way he was playing in triple overtime pretty much doing whatever he wanted to do with the puck, holding off three 67s on rushes...I won't be shocked if he's 100 point beast next year!

It wasn't that bad what do you expect 3rd ot you score you celebrate end of story.

Reactions: hockieguy

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
The slashing call should have been called if the stick had been broken. The ref could have used this as a out explaining to the Ottawa bench the no call at that point in the game. Ottawa being up 3 games to none would not have questioned it wildly I would think. Very poor judgement by the ref.

Penalty is a penalty....

Reactions: Bird dog

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa fan coming here in peace. You should be very proud of your young team- they battled hard and were the better team last night in a desperation game. Your beautiful city deserves a good team, coach and owner and it looks like you have all three now. I hope that we run into each other next year in the Eastern finals. It's good to see that your franchise is turning the corner.

Bird dog

Jan 5, 2019
It wasn't that bad what do you expect 3rd ot you score you celebrate end of story.

Also Ottawa had many of their own fans, billets, parents all sitting in that section, saluting their own fans who made the trek up here.. great season, was a pleasure watching Ukko all year and seeing the boys develop, can’t wait for next year

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They let the same penalty go multiple times in OT, Carson and Pilon both had sticks slashed out of their hands on scoring chances. Rossi as well.

Didn't see the game. I wonder if a referee supervisor, after seeing everything that was let go before the start of the third overtime, visited the room and told the refs to clamp down. It wouldn't be the first time that this sort of thing happened.

If that was the case, then it would've been prudent for the officials to visit each bench before the opening face-off of the third overtime and let them know that from here on out, the whistles won't be put away? We're there any blatant infractions let go after the start of the third before this call was made?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
2 handed tomahawk slash?

Is it 4/20 already?

I all fairness, the stick started above the players head and was slashed down onto the defenders stick in the defensive zone. The stick was knocked out of the defenders hands leaving him unable to participate in the defense.

If it were in the neutral zone or the offensive zone, I would agree with letting it go. But, when it happens in the defensive zone and results in an offensive zone turnover for the person committing the infraction, it needs to be called.

The combination of it being so blatant, the stick coming out of the hands of the defender causing a puck turnover, and the zone where the infraction occurred, makes it a must call.

Personally, i still don’t like the call but I can understand why it was called.

Reactions: dirty12

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Didn't see the game. I wonder if a referee supervisor, after seeing everything that was let go before the start of the third overtime, visited the room and told the refs to clamp down. It wouldn't be the first time that this sort of thing happened.

If that was the case, then it would've been prudent for the officials to visit each bench before the opening face-off of the third overtime and let them know that from here on out, the whistles won't be put away? We're there any blatant infractions let go after the start of the third before this call was made?
Could be, but it was sloppy hockey in all of the OTs by both teams, lots of trips, hooks, interference type calls to be made.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

Lol what? That wasn't the end of the story. They scored, celebrated for 2-3 minutes (which is fine), then shook hands, then resumed celebrations for at least 3 more minutes, then saluted their fans for a minute (they had plenty of time to do this already), then we rightfully booed them off.

Score, shake hands, acknowledge your fans for 15-30 seconds as you leave the ice. Would have had no problems with that. It was the lingering to troll the disgruntled fans who were still there at 1130 on a Thursday night. Unless you win a trophy/medal for winning, then there's no need for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad