Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
...and about 3 minutes of extra unnecessary celebrating after the handshakes we finally got to send the boys off.

Very proud of how they played this year. The journey this year was unbelievable and we got tons of great memories out of this team.

Best of luck to UPL in Rochester next year, he's my new favourite pro player. Hope he wins the Vezina one day.

Best of luck for the next step in life for Candella and the Pilons. They served the team well in their times here. Best of luck to Ruzicka on getting that pro contract. If he plays with the heart he played with tonight consistently he'll be a hell of a player.

Excited for next season.

StewieFan76

Mar 23, 2019
Maybe I'm a complete idiot but I think Ottawa celebrating like they just won a championship, piling on each other, fist pumping, some crowd taunting was pretty classless. Maybe I'm old-school but I didn't see a need to show up a team who just put out a great effort and took you to the limit. I know it was an emotional game but still after that cheap call to linger on the ice I don't know it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like I said pretty classless. For a team supposedly filled with so many guys are going to be pro one day...classless and cheap.

Setting aside the cheap call they played an amazing game. Ukko was a beast and Byfield Is going to be the best player in the league next year in my opinion. To be playing the way he was playing in triple overtime pretty much doing whatever he wanted to do with the puck, holding off three 67s on rushes...I won't be shocked if he's 100 point beast next year!

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I'll save the good stuff for tomorrow, as there's so many players who played out of their mind tonight I want to make sure i give them credit where its due. But before i go to bed tonight, what a shame the refs decided to ruin one of the best hockey games i've ever had a chance to watch. An absolute f***ing joke.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe I'm a complete idiot but I think Ottawa celebrating like they just won a championship, piling on each other, fist pumping, some crowd taunting was pretty classless. Maybe I'm old-school but I didn't see a need to show up a team who just put out a great effort and took you to the limit. I know it was an emotional game but still after that cheap call to linger on the ice I don't know it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like I said pretty classless. For a team supposedly filled with so many guys are going to be pro one day...classless and cheap.

Setting aside the cheap call they played an amazing game. Ukko was a beast and Byfield Is going to be the best player in the league next year in my opinion. To be playing the way he was playing in triple overtime pretty much doing whatever he wanted to do with the puck, holding off three 67s on rushes...I won't be shocked if he's 100 point beast next year!
You. are right man.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Proud of the boys! We turned alot of heads this season. As for the reffing doesnt surprise me that theyd be the deciding factor in this game. I hope to god the league looks in to this. Been a mess of officials nearly all year.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Not gonna lie, it sucked putting my jersey away for the last time tonight. So Incredibly proud of our boys! They played out of their minds tonight, and left it all out of there on the ice. This season far and away exceeded my every expectation of this team!

Already looking forward to next season!
Go Wolves Go!!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The only problem with not calling the penalty is the slash came from above the head and knocked the stick out of hands in the defensive zone. Personally, I don’t think it was a situation where it would have led to an offensive chance since the puck was heading to the side boards but if the player was able to turn that puck around and Hoefenmayer didn’t have his stick and the Wolves scored, there would be 67’s fans calling for justice as well.

Again, I don’t see that play developing into anything though so I am not sure it should have been called but I can understand why it was called. It was pretty stupid to slash down on a defenders stick while he had the puck from pretty much above his head. You have to admit that was bonehead, especially in the offensive zone. So let’s agree to call a spade a spade at least. As Don Cherry would say, “It was a dumb-dumb penalty.” Still sucks the game ended on that, even from a 67’s fan perspective. But, also unfortunate Gilhula was a little dumb (errr needlessly aggressive) on that play.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Sure, Ottawa scored a lot of goals in this series but if we simply JUST LOOK at the first 30 minutes of each game, this series was pretty close. Ottawa pulled away in the 2nd half of each of the first three games but outside of that, it was a competitive series. The score really wasn’t a complete indicator of the balance of play overall. Sudbury was better than the score.

Lets not forget Sudbury played without two vet dmen in Serentis and DeMeo the entire series. Serentis breaking his leg in game 1 in Ottawa and DeMeo did touch the ice in two months. That really hurt the team as they had to give extra minutes to rookies on the backend. A big task to take on from that loaded team in Ottawa. Proud of the Wolves for not rolling over and mailing it in. Will be hard to watch Sudbury without the Pilons grit, Ruzicka who lead the team in Playoff points and played amazing in the last two months. Candella who improved and really did do as much as he could without the extra vets who were injured. And last but not least Ukko!!! I don't know if Sudbury will ever have such a spectacular goalie in my lifetime.

Lets hope Papineau lands a solid pair of imports at least 18 or 19 years of age that can step right in and provide an immediate boost to this team. Hope one can be our number one goalie but not sure if we can get so lucky again. And a solid defender like Samurukov in Guelph. The build around Byfield, Murray, Carson, Bulitka, Levin, Hutchison. Will be interesting what happens with players like Gilhula, McConville. The Wolves need to find some solid pieces through trade and bring some solid rookies to form a 4th line. On the backend everyone comes back with the exception of Candella and most likely DeMeo. So adding another 2 players back there one being an import and a draft pick to start. Should be a solid season but it all depends what Papineau does at the import draft and off season prior to training camp.

WJ

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Proud of the boys! We turned alot of heads this season. As for the reffing doesnt surprise me that theyd be the deciding factor in this game. I hope to god the league looks in to this. Been a mess of officials nearly all year.
..they are very inconsistent and have no feel for the game..ruined lots of Batt games this year,,,,and the calls were bad both ways this year..who supervises these guys?????

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
The only problem with not calling the penalty is the slash came from above the head and knocked the stick out of hands in the defensive zone. Personally, I don’t think it was a situation where it would have led to an offensive chance since the puck was heading to the side boards but if the player was able to turn that puck around and Hoefenmayer didn’t have his stick and the Wolves scored, there would be 67’s fans calling for justice as well.

Again, I don’t see that play developing into anything though so I am not sure it should have been called but I can understand why it was called. It was pretty stupid to slash down on a defenders stick while he had the puck from pretty much above his head. You have to admit that was bonehead, especially in the offensive zone. So let’s agree to call a spade a spade at least. As Don Cherry would say, “It was a dumb-dumb penalty.” Still sucks the game ended on that, even from a 67’s fan perspective. But, also unfortunate Gilhula was a little dumb (errr needlessly aggressive) on that play.

The problem I had with the slashing call is that they literally let everything else go the entire OT. Both teams got away with alot worse the whole time and the refs seemed too scared to make a call and give a team the PP. To change their outlook at that time to make that call was a slap in the face. I think it was a slash, but I also think both teams should've had about 3 penalties each by that point. It was the inconsistency that made the call painful.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just wanted to say, what a show of resilience by your team tonight very impressive. I thought you deserved this game as we were slightly outplayed and definitly out hustled. Dipietro came up huge tonight for us. Too bad was almost hoping we'd get a game here in Ottawa saturday so I could go to the rink. Be proud of your team awesome bunch of young men!

louis

Apr 3, 2014
And if anyone wants a good suggestion for a bandwagon team, there's still an isolated northern team with a canine name in a mining town left...our brothers in Rouyn-Noranda.

Let's go Huskies!

Very sorry for your loss, fellow northerners. If the Hounds lose, we are sending our good luck to R-N too. Went there the last 2 summers and people were great to us.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
One last comment as I just have to say it. Alot of comments about that penalty. I agree unfortunate way to end the game and very disappointing for you guys. However it was a blatant penalty and even if its overtime and up to that point they were letting the players play....you have to call a hack like that. C'mon guys just saying. Have a wonderful summer Sudbury fans, much enjoyed your comments and our discussions these past few weeks.

Reactions: hockieguy

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
One last comment as I just have to say it. Alot of comments about that penalty. I agree unfortunate way to end the game and very disappointing for you guys. However it was a blatant penalty and even if its overtime and up to that point they were letting the players play....you have to call a hack like that. C'mon guys just saying. Have a wonderful summer Sudbury fans, much enjoyed your comments and our discussions these past few weeks.

They let the same penalty go multiple times in OT, Carson and Pilon both had sticks slashed out of their hands on scoring chances. Rossi as well.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
They let the same penalty go multiple times in OT, Carson and Pilon both had sticks slashed out of their hands on scoring chances. Rossi as well.

Yeah and more blatantly I think Ruzicka got away with an elbow and Byfield was hauled down twice. Again I think there were most obvious calls against both teams from the onset of the 1st OT. The slashing call was just lazy relatively speaking. The refs just wanted to end it at that point. I'm not totally against that, but don't set an "anything goes" standard just to call that 2 and a half OTs later. Maybe call a normal game from the start of the first OT and it isn't an issue.

Reactions: hockieguy

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

The 67s weren't crowd taunting, they celebrated with their fans sitting behind the bench.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
The 67s weren't crowd taunting, they celebrated with their fans sitting behind the bench.

Thats not the issue. Applauding the away fans is a nice gesture. The could've done so during their initial celebration, and then again immediately after the handshakes for about 15 seconds then get off the ice. Instead, they resumed their own on ice celebration for 3 minutes after handshakes, THEN applauded their crowd, then left. Meanwhile the Wolves and fans were waiting to do a send off. I think thats why the crowd booed the 7s off.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

The penalty was called because of where it happened on the ice. 10' feet from the Ottawa net. Carson was in the neutral zone and the Pilons should not complain as they both got away with cheap shot in the game.

Reactions: dirty12

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The slashing call should have been called if the stick had been broken. The ref could have used this as a out explaining to the Ottawa bench the no call at that point in the game. Ottawa being up 3 games to none would not have questioned it wildly I would think. Very poor judgement by the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->