Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
"Sounds like a no hands speedster, not what you want that high."

with a loose comment like that, obviously didn't look at his stats, he has good numbers, was picked on the Ontario team. I spoke to a few scouts they say they really like him. Will soon find out.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
This is Papineau’s second draft. What are you basing his draft history on? You do realize the front office was drastically changed since Zulich took over. We’ve only seen 2 players from his drafts in wolves uniform. How about we give these guys a chance.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This is Papineau’s second draft. What are you basing his draft history on? You do realize the front office was drastically changed since Zulich took over. We’ve only seen 2 players from his drafts in wolves uniform. How about we give these guys a chance.

It's his 3rd but I think I agree with your point if what you're saying is let's give him an his crew the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sure he was the one who ran the 2017 draft as everyone knew he was going to take over from Branch. It was a joint effort with Papineau having the final say but with reliance on BB's scouting. (ie. Murray was very much his guy).

I could be wrong though, this is only what I've heard

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Rob Papineau joined the Sudbury Wolves in September 2016 as the Vice-President of Hockey Operations. In April, 2017, Papineau was also named as the team’s General Manager. A native of Greater Sudbury, Papineau, brings to the Wolves more than 20 years of business experience in the community. In addition, prior to joining the Wolves, he was an NHL scout with the Carolina Hurricanes for 5+ years. Papineau also played in the Ontario Hockey League, beginning with the Ottawa 67s in 1988 and then the Detroit Ambassadors (now the Flint Firebirds) in 1990-91. Following his OHL career, Papineau played for the Laurentian Voyageurs Men’s Hockey team, graduating from the SPAD program in 1995.
Rob oversees all aspects of hockey operations, including scouting, roster management, analytics, and team operations. He leads the team’s vision of being a model OHL franchise and a preferred destination for players. Rob has both extensive business and hockey experience and is an intelligent mind who believes in world class operations.

^^^ cut and paste from the wolves website
I think he has done an excellent job and hopefully he continues to

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
It's his 3rd but I think I agree with your point if what you're saying is let's give him an his crew the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sure he was the one who ran the 2017 draft as everyone knew he was going to take over from Branch. It was a joint effort with Papineau having the final say but with reliance on BB's scouting. (ie. Murray was very much his guy).

If you are correct(and you probably are) it even further my point about his drafting ability and to be able to trust him and his staff. It would mean that he’s responsible for Murray, Ross, Phillips, Tabak, Wowrow, Frappier. That was a pretty good draft in 2017. Plus Serensits from the U18 draft and Weeks this past season in the same draft. I do hope we are able to sign Aucoin from last year but I feel like this is unlikely now.

Reactions: WaW

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
If you are correct(and you probably are) it even further my point about his drafting ability and to be able to trust him and his staff. It would mean that he’s responsible for Murray, Ross, Phillips, Tabak, Wowrow, Frappier. That was a pretty good draft in 2017. Plus Serensits from the U18 draft and Weeks this past season in the same draft. I do hope we are able to sign Aucoin from last year but I feel like this is unlikely now.
I don't disagree that he's done a solid job, but Tabak, Wawrow, Frappier are not much to be proud of.

member 236327

“Sounds like a no hands speedster, not what you want that high“

Wings5 , have you watched him? No? Then don’t talk. Come out to the Rookie skate this spring, see for yourself. #keyboardwarrior

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
I don't disagree that he's done a solid job, but Tabak, Wawrow, Frappier are not much to be proud of.

I imagine Levi Siau will get one more shot at camp next year as well? What about Kosta Manikis...seems he is doing well in the OJHL though he might be college committed at this point. Do we even still have their rights or do they become FAs at a certain point?

Again I think this draft was a weird mix of Papineau and Branch but it was still okay. Alot more to be excited about from the 2018 crop for sure

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I imagine Levi Siau will get one more shot at camp next year as well? What about Kosta Manikis...seems he is doing well in the OJHL though he might be college committed at this point. Do we even still have their rights or do they become FAs at a certain point?

Again I think this draft was a weird mix of Papineau and Branch but it was still okay. Alot more to be excited about from the 2018 crop for sure
Wolves maintain their rights as long as they're on the 45 player protected list(Or is it 50? I can never remember).

I don't expect to see Kosta given that he was not at camp last year either. I don't think Siau is good enough to take on as an 18 year old rookie in essence.

I see 3-5 forward spots available, figure they go to; McCallum, Stillman, Larmand, in addition to a couple of Butler, Tiveron, Labelle, Smith, and probably some U18 draft players.

Also not sure if anyone else has seen, but the OHL website is showing Matthew Dokis-Dupuis, Benjamin Hatanaka, Zacahary Snow on our playoff roster. I assume these are free agents to fill some of the injury holes?

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Wolves maintain their rights as long as they're on the 45 player protected list(Or is it 50? I can never remember).

I don't expect to see Kosta given that he was not at camp last year either. I don't think Siau is good enough to take on as an 18 year old rookie in essence.

I see 3-5 forward spots available, figure they go to; McCallum, Stillman, Larmand, in addition to a couple of Butler, Tiveron, Labelle, Smith, and probably some U18 draft players.

Also not sure if anyone else has seen, but the OHL website is showing Matthew Dokis-Dupuis, Benjamin Hatanaka, Zacahary Snow on our playoff roster. I assume these are free agents to fill some of the injury holes?
Dokis-Dupuis is a good player. I've seen him play quite a bit and always liked he physical play not sure about his speed for the OHL game though...I wasn't aware he signed with the Wolves though. Hatanaka is a good little player too...problem is he's a Good "little Player"

Reactions: hockieguy

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014

like your recent scouting...easy to pick a first rounder but mid to late..not so much

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

3-5 Forward spots considering Pilon, Pilon, Ruzicka, O'Bonsawin, minimum one of Levin/Bulitka/Carson, Gilhula or McConville (one gone IMO) barring surprises. I think we fill out like this:

Levin-Byfield-Import
Hutcheson-Murray-Butler
Robinson-Bulitka-Stillman
Tiveron-McCallum-Larmand

So really not much room for an 18 year old rookie. We'll be a younger team next year but there's some serious skill in that lineup, IMO better forward core then this year depending on the Import and Butler/Tiverons ability to put of offence at the next level

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This is my Projection Lineup for next season:

Murray Byfield Hutcheson

Bulitka Carson Levin

Robinson Gilhula McConville

Larmand McCallum Stillman

I think Imports will be a Defenceman and Goalie, or possibly 2 Defencemen. I don't think Butler will sign, is my gut feeling maybe going the College route. I think they could make room for some rookies, or make moves for a veteran, I think Gilhula and McConville will be fighting for spots, or possibly moved for rookie or another veteran.

I think its possible we keep all 3 overage Forwards in Bulitka, Carson and Levin, over Demeo.

Reactions: WaW and hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This is my Projection Lineup for next season:

Murray Byfield Hutcheson

Bulitka Carson Levin

Robinson Gilhula McConville

Larmand McCallum Stillman

I think Imports will be a Defenceman and Goalie, or possibly 2 Defencemen. I don't think Butler will sign, is my gut feeling maybe going the College route. I think they could make room for some rookies, or make moves for a veteran, I think Gilhula and McConville will be fighting for spots, or possibly moved for rookie or another veteran.

I think its possible we keep all 3 overage Forwards in Bulitka, Carson and Levin, over Demeo.
Curious why you see Butler going college? And no Labelle, Tiveron, Biondi etc? Just curious your reasoning on some things more then anything. Makes for an interesting talk. Definitely can't see both Gilhula and McConville here next year though, especially on L3. I think we'd make a trade at that point

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
The DeMeo v Carson debate will be a fun one this summer lol. I think most of us agree on Levin + Bulitka for sure anyways.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Bulitka really surprised me this season. Too bad Carson hasn't regained 30 goal form

Agreed on both fronts. Bulitka took a huge step forward both offensively and defensively, was really nice to see. Carson seems like he hasn't been the same since that broken wrist he suffered in last season's opener unfortunately

Last edited:

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
The peanut gallery is out in full force tonight.

Wolves on the PP at the red line: "SHOOOOOT"

Wolves on the PP in the corner: "SHOOOOOT THE F%*&$@# PUCK"

3 67's in the shooting lane: "F%&^*#$ SHOOOOOOT"

Anyone who says we have an intelligent fanbase is a fool, lol.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016

Haha too true, can’t blame it tho. We don’t f-ing shoot the puck enough, that 5on3 we had to get one :(

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016

Also best of luck to you’re wings in the lottery tonight

Reactions: justawolfan and WaW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad