Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Had another crap turnout but Saturday nights haven't done well here in like 10 years.

This game should've been at 4pm. The 4pm Saturday games vs Guelph and Missy earlier this year were lit. Thats a better time to attend an OHL game and still have your whole Saturday night ahead of you.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Had another crap turnout but Saturday nights haven't done well here in like 10 years.

This game should've been at 4pm. The 4pm Saturday games vs Guelph and Missy earlier this year were lit. Thats a better time to attend an OHL game and still have your whole Saturday night ahead of you.

Maybe the result of the KED vs. BIA fiasco. This city finally has good hockey and yet so many empty seats. Their basketball counterparts have no problem packing the arena, so what gives? Its times like this where I miss the 90's and early 2000's. My generation didnt need the P.A announcer and cheesy video packages to amp the crowd.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Maybe the result of the KED vs. BIA fiasco. This city finally has good hockey and yet so many empty seats. Their basketball counterparts have no problem packing the arena, so what gives? Its times like this where I miss the 90's and early 2000's. My generation didnt need the P.A announcer and cheesy video packages to amp the crowd.

Agreed. The new generation of families just don't want to spend the money for this type of entertainment. I believe its too expensive to get families, and secondly the loyal following has dwindled. They are getting old and too cold for many to make it out. And others just want the weekends to do other things and let loose after working all week. The blue collard type guys are just not there anymore. IMO. And yes I do miss the old organ playing between stoppages of play. The advertising is great but to give away some many small things takes away from the game. The music motivates the crowd and the players. We need more of it. Even howler isn't getting his minutes in to get the crowd chant going. That PA announcer and sidekick with the camera are running constantly. There needs to be a happy medium.

But I hope the crowds come back I really do but I just don't think the Wolves is the only act in town anymore.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I so hear you whopper.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Sudbury also has gotten much more into basketball compared to the early 00s.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Sorry there are other options for fans in other cities and they still get out to support their hockey team. This team is worth supporting. You may never be able to afford to watch Ukko in the NHL so why not get out to see him now? All I read on these boards are excuses : No one likes Sunday afternoon, Saturday nights are always bad, it is cold, it's the old owner, it is the development of the new arena...
Figure it out Sudbury, you have a team putting W's on the board, now get out and support these players. It should be 4000 a game going forward and into the playoffs or stop saying we are a "hockey town."

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Sorry there are other options for fans in other cities and they still get out to support their hockey team. This team is worth supporting. You may never be able to afford to watch Ukko in the NHL so why not get out to see him now? All I read on these boards are excuses : No one likes Sunday afternoon, Saturday nights are always bad, it is cold, it's the old owner, it is the development of the new arena...
Figure it out Sudbury, you have a team putting W's on the board, now get out and support these players. It should be 4000 a game going forward and into the playoffs or stop saying we are a "hockey town."
We are and always will be a “hockey town”. Missing the playoffs three out of four seasons and having an owner make us the joke of the league obviously has long standing ramifications. I guess we’ll truly know this spring. Also I agree drop the Saturday night starts, they’ve never worked.

Reactions: hockeynorth

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Ice Dogs have no problem drawing fans when they play Saturday night.
I have been to many games in Niagara and the fan support is amazing. Even when you were a team of young players the fans still came out. There are loads of options for people in your area to choose from as you are close enough proximity to watch various levels and varieties of professional sports and you still have great attendance. As well I believe 95% of your games are televised. I am not sure what gives with us.

Reactions: three dog night

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

I disagree. When I lived in the Sault, I could park for free at the mall across the street, a 1-2 minute walk max from the door of the building. I could get to the washrooms easily no matter where I was sitting. The seats were less crowded together and more comfortable, the concessions were good, and I was there during their "rebuilding" year where they finished 7th in the west.

The Wolves and Sudbury Arena are the opposite in every way.

Now the kicker is I am a big enough fan to go regularly regardless. Most of us here are. Unfortunately this franchise is such a dumpster fire from a PR standpoint, the building is so outdated and uncomfortable, and the overall experience is so poor that there isn't much to entice the casual hockey fans to attend.

Remember, most people who fill the seats in other cities aren't diehards. The reason these other towns do so well is they appeal to the casual. We need alot of change to get back there. The team winning is a start but alot more is needed.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I disagree. When I lived in the Sault, I could park for free at the mall across the street, a 1-2 minute walk max from the door of the building. I could get to the washrooms easily no matter where I was sitting. The seats were less crowded together and more comfortable, the concessions were good, and I was there during their "rebuilding" year where they finished 7th in the west.

The Wolves and Sudbury Arena are the opposite in every way.

Now the kicker is I am a big enough fan to go regularly regardless. Most of us here are. Unfortunately this franchise is such a dumpster fire from a PR standpoint, the building is so outdated and uncomfortable, and the overall experience is so poor that there isn't much to entice the casual hockey fans to attend.

Remember, most people who fill the seats in other cities aren't diehards. The reason these other towns do so well is they appeal to the casual. We need alot of change to get back there. The team winning is a start but alot more is needed.
Yes this is true and until Zulich gets his new arena he doesn’t seem to care that much about fan experience or at least it looks that way. People are still walking up and down the stairs completely oblivious to the fact that they’re interfering with others enjoyment of the game, often standing around with their finger up their ass.
I routinely tell people at least a handful of times a game to wait for whistle. How hard would it be for the team to make this clear, either visually, by the PA announcer or both??
Also yes, the seats are uncomfortable and too close together, the concession are lousy and overpriced and access to the washrooms is lousy. In short...we need a new arena to attract the so called casual fan. It will be awhile yet so I don’t know what’s taking the organization so long to their shit together and make some improvements.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So any update on Levin and his lower body injury....
Ya I thought not. Supposedly undergoing an MRI for his knee (from an old injury) down south. I wonder why they can’t do that here. Seems a little mysterious to me and some people around me weren’t buying it. It would be nice to have an update on his condition.
I wanted to mention Hutcheson who is improving exponentially and was having the game of his junior career until the fight and subsequent seventeen minutes in penalties. Watch him as the season unfolds.

Last edited:

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Yes this is true and until Zulich gets his new arena he doesn’t seem to care that much about fan experience or at least it looks that way. People are still walking up and down the stairs completely oblivious to the fact that they’re interfering with others enjoyment of the game, often standing around with their finger up their ass.
I routinely tell people at least a handful of times a game to wait for whistle. How hard would it be for the team to make this clear, either visually, by the PA announcer or both??
Also yes, the seats are uncomfortable and too close together, the concession are lousy and overpriced and access to the washrooms is lousy. In short...we need a new arena to attract the so called casual fan. It will be awhile yet so I don’t know what’s taking the organization so long to their **** together and make some improvements.

They do a video on the big screen prior to the game for the last 3 weeks addressing the wait for a whistle or break before moving.
In the old days the fans would be barking at you if you moved during the play. Now the young fans would need daily therapy for years on end if they got yelled at and you would be hearing from an ambulance chasing contingency lawyer suing for millions for pain and suffering.
I still bark at the idiots who don't remove their hats during the anthem and am astounded on how many versions of the anthem that these singers think there is. there is one...only one. (not related to the topic but my thoughts)

One of my other complaints is people actually stepping on the seat of the chair to climb into the row above or below them. Im not sure what kind of up bringing people got that think this is acceptable behavior anywhere.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Fans are fed up with the ignorance shown during play as many have mentioned in other posts. I personally spoke to Zulich about it and was told it would cost forty thousand a season for ushers. I suggested that ushers be present during playoffs and he responded good idea. He also experienced the lack of respect of fans at a recent game and was quite annoyed he told me. Well maybe it is time to address this issue don't you think?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Fans are fed up with the ignorance shown during play as many have mentioned in other posts. I personally spoke to Zulich about it and was told it would cost forty thousand a season for ushers. I suggested that ushers be present during playoffs and he responded good idea. He also experienced the lack of respect of fans at a recent game and was quite annoyed he told me. Well maybe it is time to address this issue don't you think?
This has to be addressed and dealt with. I don’t go to the rink to have to get into conflicts but I just can’t sit there and say nothing. It seems so obvious to me!

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Would love to hear from other arena's if they experience the same as we do. I have been to other rinks and have never seen anything like in Sudbury. I have also suggested to Dario to stagger the Tim bit kids and parents into sec 7 , 8, and 9. Give sec 6 a break. Have ushers for sec 6 if it is always going to be the designated section. Not inferring it is only that group but they are hands down the worst. When I look at that section it is mostly empty and for good reason, it reminds me of a daycare.

Reactions: justawolfan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Would love to hear from other arena's if they experience the same as we do. I have been to other rinks and have never seen anything like in Sudbury. I have also suggested to Dario to stagger the Tim bit kids and parents into sec 7 , 8, and 9. Give sec 6 a break. Have ushers for sec 6 if it is always going to be the designated section. Not inferring it is only that group but they are hands down the worst. When I look at that section it is mostly empty and for good reason, it reminds me of a daycare.
You should also ask him to hire you as a consultant. Good ideas!

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

At the Sleeman Centre in Guelph, ushers are volunteer workers - I don't believe there is a need to dedicate $40K to ushers, but they do have common clothing (kind of uniforms) to acknowledge that they are an usher so there is some minor expense. Some are good at their job, others haven't got a clue and people still file down the stairs while the play is going on. I just think they need more training, and perhaps additional interim training throughout the season to remind them that they have to intercept the perpetrators before they start down the stairs. Of course, there are also a few ushers that probably shouldn't be ushering at all despite it being honourable that they volunteered - if anything did happen, they would be largely ineffective due to size, age, etc.

The Timbit kids, anthem choirs, and their families are relegated to one section in the corner primarily. Everyone I know also knows that that particular section is the family section, and I suspect it is highly avoided by anyone in the know for the very reasons cited in your post.

I think, regardless of the rink, you're going to have a number of fans that are first time attendees and have no idea how rink etiquette works - they get up during the play, they take their seats during the play, they stand on the stairs while the play is going on while they check their ticket excruciatingly slow, only to figure out they're in the wrong section, etc....... In a successful year when attendance numbers are up, you're likely to see a greater percentage of this behavior per capita at any given game. :rolleyes:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
At the Sleeman Centre in Guelph, ushers are volunteer workers - I don't believe there is a need to dedicate $40K to ushers, but they do have common clothing (kind of uniforms) to acknowledge that they are an usher so there is some minor expense. Some are good at their job, others haven't got a clue and people still file down the stairs while the play is going on. I just think they need more training, and perhaps additional interim training throughout the season to remind them that they have to intercept the perpetrators before they start down the stairs. Of course, there are also a few ushers that probably shouldn't be ushering at all despite it being honourable that they volunteered - if anything did happen, they would be largely ineffective due to size, age, etc.

The Timbit kids, anthem choirs, and their families are relegated to one section in the corner primarily. Everyone I know also knows that that particular section is the family section, and I suspect it is highly avoided by anyone in the know for the very reasons cited in your post.

I think, regardless of the rink, you're going to have a number of fans that are first time attendees and have no idea how rink etiquette works - they get up during the play, they take their seats during the play, they stand on the stairs while the play is going on while they check their ticket excruciatingly slow, only to figure out they're in the wrong section, etc....... In a successful year when attendance numbers are up, you're likely to see a greater percentage of this behavior per capita at any given game. :rolleyes:
Thanks for that informative post, would like to hear from others.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Thanks for that informative post, would like to hear from others.
I for one think it can be done with the right commitment from the organization. They can find volunteers for the 50/50 so why not volunteers to be ushers etc. We used to have no problem with this. How about other perks besides getting in for free? Get creative, buddy vouchers, nominal discounts from some of the sponsors. I’m sure you can come up with a solution that costs a hell of a lot less than 40 k, you just have to be dedicated. It’s BS and bad business to throw your hands up on the air.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad