Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
We were in last place last year, the team is successful this season , already at this time surpassed any expectations. For me, if they made playoffs in beginning of season it would of been an accomplishment.

Yes, UPL is factor in the team being this good this season, but thank Papineau and organization in adressing this weakness.

Also, coaching staff going with a majority of rookie roster last year, you can see how this has payed off, especially after the trade deadline, you can see these young players playing like veterans, sure there are still some mistakes they make but it will payoff. Coaching staff are developing these players, majority have a regular shift, and play in every situation from PK to PP, not afraid to put them in.

We have a great coaching staff, that players respect and buy into, you can tell how they play, they play hard every shift and outwork most teams. Alot of teams have high end talent and Wolves have shown they can play with any team in the league this season if they play their game.

Papineau made some nice moves at trade deadline, especially with Ruzika, who has changed whole dynamics to the team and especially helped Bulitka game, they have good chemistry together.

Whatever happens in playoffs is bonus, if we get by first round be amazing but anything can happen in the playoffs.

Interesting. I fully expected SBY fans to say Eastern Conference final or bust because of how impossible it'll be to get someone as good as UPL for next year

Reactions: hockieguy

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Interesting. I fully expected SBY fans to say Eastern Conference final or bust because of how impossible it'll be to get someone as good as UPL for next year

buddy, stop pulling the gears. We were last place last year, no one knew what to expect for this season, there was alot of unknowns. Yes, now we are in good position and we like to go as far as we can, doesn't any other team?

I'm proud of the team, what I like the most you will get an honest effort most nights from this team, with no quit.

If the expectations of the beginning of the season was to win the Eastern Conference and we didn't then you can say there was a disappointment. This season for me as already exceeded expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe it’s an honest question but we have rookies and sophomores playing key roles, competing with and often beating the best talent in the league man. We’re overjoyed but East finals or bust? No man, I don’t think so. I’ll admit I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make the second round but no way would I look back on this entire season as a failure. Not after what we’ve been through.
Honestly without taking a dig, I would fully expect there to be a revolt in Peterborough because of the colossal collapse two seasons running despite some good talent on the roster.

I think most will consider this season a success no matter what happens from here on in, especially considering how it bodes for next year since we return most of the team. Yes losing Ukko will be a factor but Papineau has shown he can address the team’s needs so let’s not panic and automatically assume we’ll have brutal goaltending.
This is the first season in forever where I see upside in every one of our returning players. I love the team and the way they play and I’m already looking forward to their learning curve next season.

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Refs missed a lot of calls. Don’t want to be sour but man that was not even calling IMO. Wolves had to endure a few boarding, trips and cross necks.

But all in all the Wolves played hard and was happy with the effort after the first. We need to get Stratis and Levin back soon. We need the experience and depth.

WJ
Officiating was horrible and let too many obvious calls go. Agree we need bodies back in line up. Hoping that when Levin returns he realizes that the team has been successful by not trying to hold on to the puck for the highlight reel goal....and by not trying to do it all on his own. He was sliding into some old habits before leaving and he needs to be on board with what the team has been developing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

If you’re looking at the wolves seriously for the first time because the standings caught your attention, I can understand your expectation. Currently 2nd seed with 7-19 yr olds including an all world goalie, it’s a team that should do well. But from the stand point of many wolves followers, home ice in round 1 after finishes of 20, 19, 14, 20, is a successful season.
At this point, a conference final appearance would not be a big surprise; but I doubt a 2nd round loss to any of Gens, ‘67s, or IceDogs would be a crushing blow to most on this board

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
That’s really a ridiculous statement. We have rookies and sophomores playing key roles, competing with and often beating the best talent in the league man. We’re overjoyed but East finals or bust? No man, I don’t think so. I’ll admit I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make the second round but no way would I look back on this entire season as a failure. Not after what we’ve been through.
Honestly without taking a dig, I would fully expect there to be a revolt in Peterborough because of the colossal collapse two seasons running despite some good talent on the roster.

I think most will consider this season a success no matter what happens from here on in, especially considering how it bodes for next year since we return most of the team. Yes losing Ukko will be a factor but Papineau has shown he can address the team’s needs so let’s not panic and automatically assume we’ll have brutal goaltending.
This is the first season in forever where I see upside in every one of our returning players. I love the team and the way they play and I’m already looking forward to their learning curve next season.
Tough decisions to make on the overage spots next season and goal tending will also be a huge factor. Too much to enjoy watching right now however to worry about next season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Do any of you know which section at the North Bay Gardens away fans typically sit in?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
What you talking bout Willis, er I mean Three Dog?
Honestly I think youre talking about Ice Dog fans and considering the way they sold the farm I would amend it to say at the very least the league finals!
Yes Icedogs Leauge final but I think is Sudbury does it to the division final they will be impressed but Ottawa shows no signs of falling off.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hoping for a packed house Friday vs Barrie. Would be really nice
Yes let’s face it, our weekend coming up includes a home at home against Barrie and an afternoon tilt in Hamilton. I think we can agree they are all quite winnable games but the team has to play all out and can’t take the games lightly or they risk blowing it.
I was looking at the teams’ remaining schedules. Now anything can happen but looking at the Dogs schedule, barring a collapse I think it will be pretty tough for the Wolves to finish ahead of them. They play Barrie three times, North Bay twice, Peterborough once and they have a few games against some of the lower seeds in the West. No disrespect intended against those teams but I only count two what I would call tough games for them, one against us and one against Missy who have been playing great (and who frankly I wouldn’t want to play in round 1).
Let’s look at Oshawa now, whom I believe is the team they have the best chance of catching considering the schedule. Other than playing Kingston and North Bay each twice, to me their other remaining games are tough. They have us twice, Ottawa twice, Saginaw and Missy and the Soo once.
Now looking at the Wolves. First thing to note is we have two big games in hand over the Gens. We have Barrie twice, Hamilton twice , North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough once each. I would consider our remaining tough games to be the Gens twice, Niagara and the Soo.
Again anything can happen but I count four tough games for us and seven for them. Ultimately though this could all be a mute point if we don’t win or at least split the two remaining games against them. Thoughts?

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Yes let’s face it, our weekend coming up includes a home at home against Barrie and an afternoon tilt in Hamilton. I think we can agree they are all quite winnable games but the team has to play all out and can’t take the games lightly or they risk blowing it.
I was looking at the teams’ remaining schedules. Now anything can happen but looking at the Dogs schedule, barring a collapse I think it will be pretty tough for the Wolves to finish ahead of them. They play Barrie three times, North Bay twice, Peterborough once and they have a few games against some of the lower seeds in the West. No disrespect intended against those teams but I only count two what I would call tough games for them, one against us and one against Missy who have been playing great (and who frankly I wouldn’t want to play in round 1).
Let’s look at Oshawa now, whom I believe is the team they have the best chance of catching considering the schedule. Other than playing Kingston and North Bay each twice, to me their other remaining games are tough. They have us twice, Ottawa twice, Saginaw and Missy and the Soo once.
Now looking at the Wolves. First thing to note is we have two big games in hand over the Gens. We have Barrie twice, Hamilton twice , North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough once each. I would consider our remaining tough games to be the Gens twice, Niagara and the Soo.
Again anything can happen but I count four tough games for us and seven for them. Ultimately though this could all be a mute point if we don’t win or at least split the two remaining games against them. Thoughts?

Niagara's schedule is easier and they tend to trash the weaker teams. I think it's a function of having a really skilled team, but lacking in system and coaching - that is just my opinion based on what I have seen of them this season. They can outskill the weaker teams easily, but struggle when the going is tough. That being said, it will be very difficult for the Wolves to catch them and win the division. The road to the OHL championship ultimately goes through Ottawa and one of Oshawa/Niagara. It's time to fine tune the systems, line combos and get ready for the playoffs. Give Ukko the rest when he needs it, and worry about winning hockey when it matters in the playoffs.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Wolves Instagram :)

Attachments

• A0FC5B65-12FA-45A4-9B8D-F4FEC3D4134B.png
    A0FC5B65-12FA-45A4-9B8D-F4FEC3D4134B.png
    586.3 KB · Views: 54

member 236327

If I were apart of the coaching staff, I would have the Goalie coach focus mainly on that Blocker side. Seems like a lot of the goals let in on UPL are on the blocker, weaker shots. But, just my two cents..

Reactions: Lycanthrope

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
Building off the 'remaining schedule' talk...the Wolves have 12 games left, 5 at home and 7 on the road.

Let's say they go 4-1 at home in the last 5 and 5-2 on the road in the last 7.
They would finish the season with a 9-3 record, giving them 44 wins on the season!

And the assumption is that they won't go perfect down the stretch, even though it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they could. Unlikely, but possible.

If their remaining games go as I've said up top that would bring their record to...

Overall: 44-20-4 - 92pts.
Home: 27-7-0 - 54 pts.
Away: 17-13-4 - 38 pts.

Maybe a reaching a bit, but thoughts on the final few weeks of the season?!

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Building off the 'remaining schedule' talk...the Wolves have 12 games left, 5 at home and 7 on the road.

Let's say they go 4-1 at home in the last 5 and 5-2 on the road in the last 7.
They would finish the season with a 9-3 record, giving them 44 wins on the season!

And the assumption is that they won't go perfect down the stretch, even though it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they could. Unlikely, but possible.

If their remaining games go as I've said up top that would bring their record to...

Overall: 44-20-4 - 92pts.
Home: 27-7-0 - 54 pts.
Away: 17-13-4 - 38 pts.

Maybe a reaching a bit, but thoughts on the final few weeks of the season?!
We should win every home game Imo. Finish above Oshawa and dodge Missy is what im hoping for

Reactions: BayOWolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad