Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'd rest Ukko next game and bring him back against the General's. Probably won't happen but I'd like him mentally sharp come playoff time. The wheels fell off tonight, for the team. It happens.

Well Stillman shot me down quick. Ukko with the start Sunday.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Missing one Pilon sure affected the checking line. Recover on the road with 2 wins and we will forgive you.:nod::nod:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Man the Hounds really have Ukko's number.
Well that embarrassing and what a bad timing with an excellent croud,there best player Lukkonen was terrible to bad they really started well playing the body and for some reason decide to play skills with the Soo in was game over.

Lukkonnen is tired, he doesn't even practice with the team. This is a big issue. He needs rest badly......

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wolves played a great first period, a decent second period, went all down hill in the third. The biggest issue was that the Soo is a great skating team, Wolves tried to skate with them instead of playing a hard physical game.

The defence got exposed for sure, could not stop the Soo from coming in close, then the Soo would pot them in easily.

Ukko wasn't at his best, but they let hang to dry a little. He does look he's a little tired, but if he wants to play in the NHL, this a good test for him and we will see how he comes back after this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Lukkonnen is tired, he doesn't even practice with the team. This is a big issue. He needs rest badly......

Most of the goals last night were not a product of bad goal tending bin my opinion.

The Defense I dpoke so hightly of just a day ago let their goal tender down completely last night.
Many of the goals were 2 or 3 on 1’s. The Soo defence did a good job of sneakingbinnoffvthe point uncontested.
Soo just moved the puck really really well.
I don’t put this loss on Ukko at all.

It was poor defense and a lack of hard back checking that lost the game last night.

Candella is still terrible. Demore/Ross has a bad game. The rookie Defensemen seemed to be on their heels more than they had been recently.

Obonswain and/or McConville can not replace s Pilon onnthe shutdown line.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I think we have to remember how this team is built and how we've been successful because we are what we are.

We are a counter-punching team for the most part. We are successful when we forecheck relentlessly. The twins are the best example of this and why they fit so well on this team. I would guess that 75% of our goals this season have come as a result of our great forechecking and clearly this becomes even more obvious by our league ranking on the penalty kill. We haven't got the creative, offensively skilled playmakers that teams like the Soo have in their lineups so when we don't get on them aggressively in their end, they tend to dominate us. Our defense is ok when we're cycling and Ukko keeps us in the game but when he fails to do that, (several forum members have been concerned about overusing UPL this season), they can't keep up with the really dynamic offensive teams. Last night's effort was an example of just this; Pilons were invisible, (mostly because one was not playing and by now we know how that works), and our forecheck was weak at best. I thought in the first period we demonstrated how we need to play to be successful but when a few easy ones went in on Ukko....well we need to be prepared for our next 2 games and the playoffs. Our forecheck is why this team is scary to play against; of course, there's Ukko as well.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

I think you’re right. But also would guess that he starts Sunday and then again on Monday. I was shocked SBY didn’t go get a veteran backup at the deadline, this is the problem you run into, risk running your starter into the ground

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I think we have to remember how this team is built and how we've been successful because we are what we are.

We are a counter-punching team for the most part. We are successful when we forecheck relentlessly. The twins are the best example of this and why they fit so well on this team. I would guess that 75% of our goals this season have come as a result of our great forechecking and clearly this becomes even more obvious by our league ranking on the penalty kill. We haven't got the creative, offensively skilled playmakers that teams like the Soo have in their lineups so when we don't get on them aggressively in their end, they tend to dominate us. Our defense is ok when we're cycling and Ukko keeps us in the game but when he fails to do that, (several forum members have been concerned about overusing UPL this season), they can't keep up with the really dynamic offensive teams. Last night's effort was an example of just this; Pilons were invisible, (mostly because one was not playing and by now we know how that works), and our forecheck was weak at best. I thought in the first period we demonstrated how we need to play to be successful but when a few easy ones went in on Ukko....well we need to be prepared for our next 2 games and the playoffs. Our forecheck is why this team is scary to play against; of course, there's Ukko as well.

Without getting into such a big explanation on why they imploded last night the answer is simple. The Wolves started the game with one forward short. Having key guys like Pilon and Levin not dressed hurts more than we had imagined. We had essentially two lines after the Gilhula fight where he got something like 27 minutes in penalties. Selfish again because his jersey wasn't tied down or whatever the refs gave him the extra 10 for. They could have gave him 37 minutes. Anyway my point is. The Ruzicka line was intact, The Byfield line was intact however the Darian Pilon line was basically a disaster without brother Drake and they were pretty much on the ice for the majority. Obonswin shouldering that extra ice time vs the Soo on that line didn't work!!! Why didn't McConville get thrown up on that line is beyond me. He is stronger a better skater, more aggressive and right shooting. The Wolves should have went with three lines and sat Obonswin alone on the 4th after the Gilhila fighting instigation and additional 10.

The other glaring weakness was the constant pinching and hesitation of the D particularly Serentis, Candella and Phillips. We can't expect to stand up a team like the Soo at the both blue lines. They are too talented and quick and skilled and made them look silly several times. The odd man rushes were horrific. The Wolves started out fine and then after a few missed assignments which resulted in goals especially the after the Sambrook goal that changed the Soo's plan and they feasted on us the rest of the way by getting their Dmen like Howell and Sambrook to be active which we had no answer for.

Moxam's head must of been spinning cause the turnovers and missed checks were filling up the game stat sheet I'm sure. What bothered me is that the Wolves never took a time out and tried to refocus. They gave up and it was not a team that I have been watching all season. They better not let this loss linger very long and get back to tough, safe hockey that they normally play. Trying to run and gun with the Soo was a huge mistake. Having Levin and Drake Pilon really does show that the Wolves are not very deep and really need all hands on deck to play the way they have been. Selfish mistakes like Gilhula tonight and Drake the night before taking fighting majors has only put this team even more short handed. Wolves cannot afford to react to nonsense. Hopefully Niagara doesn't make us pay as Drake is out again which is a huge loss for that line as they can't seem to figure it out defensively without him on that line.

Maybe a call up would be nice like Butler. Put McConville on with Carson and Darian and Obonswin/Gilhula and call up as the fourth seeing very limited ice in Niagara.

WJ

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Ukko had a terrible game was not tracking the puck, did not pick up the shot till to late, is this acceptable? of coarse it is. I have seen Carey Price have more than one brutal game they are human and he will have many more in his career. Take it and learn from it. Team has to realize Ukko does not walk on water and they have to play hard every game.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ukko had a terrible game was not tracking the puck, did not pick up the shot till to late, is this acceptable? of coarse it is. I have seen Carey Price have more than one brutal game they are human and he will have many more in his career. Take it and learn from it. Team has to realize Ukko does not walk on water and they have to play hard every game.
Sure they do. But other than one or two goals he was left out to dry. I only wish the Wolves had the same type of chances on Taylor as the Soo did with Ukko. Cause early on Sudbury did. The fact is the Soo made immediate adjustments and Wolves didn't. End of story!

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The Wolves will be better from this. A good helping of humble pie isn’t always the worst thing for a team. The Wolves were right there for the most part and let the game get away in the third.
Ukko had a tough night as did our defence.
Missing Stratis all this time is starting to show and t will be good to get him back. Missing Levin isn’t helping either. Look for a big bounce back tomorrow, hopefully they bring their A game.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Without getting into such a big explanation on why they imploded last night the answer is simple. The Wolves started the game with one forward short. Having key guys like Pilon and Levin not dressed hurts more than we had imagined. We had essentially two lines after the Gilhula fight where he got something like 27 minutes in penalties. Selfish again because his jersey wasn't tied down or whatever the refs gave him the extra 10 for. They could have gave him 37 minutes. Anyway my point is. The Ruzicka line was intact, The Byfield line was intact however the Darian Pilon line was basically a disaster without brother Drake and they were pretty much on the ice for the majority. Obonswin shouldering that extra ice time vs the Soo on that line didn't work!!! Why didn't McConville get thrown up on that line is beyond me. He is stronger a better skater, more aggressive and right shooting. The Wolves should have went with three lines and sat Obonswin alone on the 4th after the Gilhila fighting instigation and additional 10.

The other glaring weakness was the constant pinching and hesitation of the D particularly Serentis, Candella and Phillips. We can't expect to stand up a team like the Soo at the both blue lines. They are too talented and quick and skilled and made them look silly several times. The odd man rushes were horrific. The Wolves started out fine and then after a few missed assignments which resulted in goals especially the after the Sambrook goal that changed the Soo's plan and they feasted on us the rest of the way by getting their Dmen like Howell and Sambrook to be active which we had no answer for.

Moxam's head must of been spinning cause the turnovers and missed checks were filling up the game stat sheet I'm sure. What bothered me is that the Wolves never took a time out and tried to refocus. They gave up and it was not a team that I have been watching all season. They better not let this loss linger very long and get back to tough, safe hockey that they normally play. Trying to run and gun with the Soo was a huge mistake. Having Levin and Drake Pilon really does show that the Wolves are not very deep and really need all hands on deck to play the way they have been. Selfish mistakes like Gilhula tonight and Drake the night before taking fighting majors has only put this team even more short handed. Wolves cannot afford to react to nonsense. Hopefully Niagara doesn't make us pay as Drake is out again which is a huge loss for that line as they can't seem to figure it out defensively without him on that line.

Maybe a call up would be nice like Butler. Put McConville on with Carson and Darian and Obonswin/Gilhula and call up as the fourth seeing very limited ice in Niagara.

WJ

Wow, this is a much simpler explanation.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Agree Ukko did not have his best game. This is expected as no one is perfect. Unfortunately the D was horrendous. Even when the game was close it was defensive error after defensive error. Know your opponent. This should have been a shut down game. Keep it simple and shut them down. Instead we had our d rushing the puck over and over again. Gilhula looked ridiculous. Did you not just come back from an injury?? How would fighting WARROW benefit anyone? It was a complete embarrassment and the timing made zero sense.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yep. Gens looked lucky to get by Flint last night. Not sure I’ve ever seen him post on our board when we win.

I think my post was funny based on the “O’Bos Carson Pilon is the shutdown line tonight” post I responded to. It’d too much to ask for you to not take everything as an attack at you though, I know

Btw, How’d the gens look tonight against the hottest team in the league?

UPL for mayor

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think my post was funny based on the “O’Bos Carson Pilon is the shutdown line tonight” post I responded to. It’d too much to ask for you to not take everything as an attack at you though, I know

Btw, How’d the gens look tonight against the hottest team in the league?

UPL for mayor
Oh someone’s giggling like a little girl and feeling all lippy after a win over a team that didn’t even show up huh? You posting under the pretence of adding to the discussion again or are you just reinforcing your well known status as a shit disturbing clown? If that’s the case you’ve really nothing left to prove.
Also the Gens looked like any team that was the only one to show up. I guess you’re lack of a response about not even being liked on your board speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisdom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad